First Time Buyer - Need Help

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #1  

gobucks

I am building a new home on 3 1/2 acres and I am looking to by my first JD riding mower. Looking to buy a good used tractor in the $3,000-$5,000 range. Was looking at the 300 and 400 series of tractors. What could I expect to pay through a retailer, private seller, and/or at auction. Basically I am asking what is the best used tractor (without a lot of hours) that I can get in the $3,000-$5,000 price range that would handle mowing 3 1/2 acres. I am checking out an auction this weekend and trying to get a feel for what a good price would be. Thanks for any help that you can give.

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #2  
It is hard to say depending on where you live, pleaes fill out your profilr. I am selling a 355, with 48"c mower, and 48" blade for $4500

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( please fill out your profile

I would guess he lives in Ohio.......gobucks.....?

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #4  
I have a JD425 bought in 1995 that has 750 hours. It purrs like a kitten and works just as well as it did new. To give you some perspective, I believe I could get more than $5K for it if I wanted to sell it, which I don't. You might be able to find a JD318 in the price range you're looking at. But, you are asking a lot. Nice JD lawn tractors with low hours don't sell cheap. You may have to pay a bit more than you intended.

...Bob

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I would guess he lives in Ohio.......gobucks.....? )</font>

Maybe he lives near Milwaukee........or Tampa Bay? They're Bucs too!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #6  
Don't forgit the Pittsburgh Pirates!

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #7  
You can probably get a pretty nice used compact tractor for that price. I am currently selling my Satoh ST2600. It is 4 cylinder diesel with 26PTO H.P and has 950 hours. I am going to sell it for $4500. With you being in Ohio, freight would probably not make this feasible. Not trying to sell you my tractor. Just letting you know your options. See attached picture.

Jason

Attachments

• 277998-MVC-025S.JPG
    277998-MVC-025S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 136
   / First Time Buyer - Need Help #8  
I would offer to sell you my JD 345 but it's too handy to part with! I have over 300 hours on it and it's a great machine but can be undersized for 3 1/2 acres if you're mowing the entire lot during the growing season. It will do the job but you get into situations with rained out weekends and family commitments when you don't have 3-5 hours to spend mowing, and sometimes that's twice a week in the Spring! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif It was the largest tractor I could afford at the time but is no comparison to the larger, more powerful tractors with MMM or RFM. Especially if you're considering used I would suggest searching for the largest mowing oriented tractor that meets your budget, but larger than a lawn and garden tractor for that size lot. You'll rarely, if ever, regret having too large a tractor.
I could go on but now that I get done mowing in 90 minutes, I have some FEL play, uh, work to get to... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're in the right place for advice...these guys know tractors. Good luck with your decision.

/ First Time Buyer - Need Help #9  
gobucks, If you are primarily using the machine to cut grass. You may want to consider a front mower or zero turn radius mower. They can cut grass alot better and ALOT faster than a tractor. I use my 4410 for mower pasture that I have cleaned up and use my F525 to cut about 3 to 4 acres of grass and drive way. With the exception of mower large areas of grass requiring no trimming , the F525 can cut circles around the 4410 because of its size and manueverability. I recently saw a F525 at a dealer in Clarksville, TN that took one in trade that was in VERY good shape that had about 445 hours on it. The saleman told me they wanted around $1500. I was considering buying a second F525 as these are extremely maneuverable machines and trim very wellJohn Deere is also offering some incentives to buy them new but I think they are waaaaaaay over priced new. Just something to consider.