Tractor Sizing Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #21  
Good stuff! Have you run into any compatibility issues with the 4WS of the X749?

Not that I can think of I knew when I bought it that Deere doesn't recommend the 45 fel and that the 7 iron deck doesn't fit it. The yellow decks do a good job for me and the MC519 material collection cart with blower works well. I have about 13 implements to use with my 749 and don't have any compatibility issues with them.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #22  
Matt, I think these comments by Arlen are pretty useful. With the tasks you would like to do in mind, a zero turn might not be the ticket. Also, the strengths and weaknesses of the X700 series he mentions also reflects my opinions on that tractor. If the loader is definitely on your list, then look hard at the 1 series. But don't expect the same mower the X700 would offer. Good quality cut i'm sure, but not nearly as enjoyable or agile.

If you can do without a loader, since in your original post you mentioned that a cart would suffice, I might look hard at the X530. Very useful machine for it's price. I think just about all the tasks mentioned originally could be done with patience with the X530, plus you would have a real tractor "feel" vs a zero turn, and save a substantial amount of cash vs an X700. If money is not an issue, and you can still do without the loader, you will get a smile every time you get in the seat of an X700. It is quite an impressive machine. If I didn't have a constant need for a loader, I would have one of these in a heartbeat.
The 700's are a fine machine. I have a x748SE. I've had it 6 years and put 875 hours on it. It is a diesel. I mow 5-7 acres with it. It is great. I think I would get a different salesman if he didn't know about the diesel models. The 749 would be fantastic for what you described. front blade, snow blower, tiller. can do allot of things. Would mow circles around a 1026R. There would not even be a contest.
But, the 1026R has a nice loader (don't even bother with the loader on the x series), a "real 3 point", and a back hoe available.

I think the zero turns make a great second machine, but lack the versatility to do the things you need to do.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
If you can do without a loader, since in your original post you mentioned that a cart would suffice, I might look hard at the X530. Very useful machine for it's price. I think just about all the tasks mentioned originally could be done with patience with the X530, plus you would have a real tractor "feel" vs a zero turn, and save a substantial amount of cash vs an X700. If money is not an issue, and you can still do without the loader, you will get a smile every time you get in the seat of an X700. It is quite an impressive machine. If I didn't have a constant need for a loader, I would have one of these in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your thoughtful insight. I see from your profile that you have a 1026R and a D100. Which one do you use to mow your lawn?

One thing that's making the decision especially challenging is that I can't seem to find a dealer that stocks the X700 series. I would really like to see and drive one before making a decision. There are 6 dealers within 30 miles, but the biggest lawn tractor any of them stock is the X500 series. After that, they all skip up to the 1000 series sub-compacts.

I did go back to see my closest dealer yesterday and I drove a D140, an X500, a 1023E and a 1026R around their parking lot. I didn't get to mow with any of them, but I was able to drive around and test the speeds, back up, see how the controls worked, etc. Not having really ANY experience with any kind of tractor at all, I felt like the D140 was too small for what I have in mind, the X500 felt ok/good, the 1023E was great, and the 1026R was fantastic. It was really hard not to have a big silly grin on my face as I drove the 1026R past the salesman and my wife.

Honestly, I don't know if any of that giddiness had anything to do with the suitability of the 1026R for mowing. But I sure got a kick out of driving that machine and the loader made it feel like a "real" tractor.

The salesman I've been talking with really doesn't seem to know very much about the X700s. He said that he looked up pricing for an X748 and X748SE, but came out even higher than the 1026R (not sure if he was trying to add the loader into that price for comparison's sake, though). Regardless, he seems to strongly lean towards the 1000s over the X500 and especially over the X700. Perhaps because he doesn't have any X700s stock. I'm not sure.

$10-15K is a lot of money to me, but I'll spend more than that to hire someone else to mow the lawn over 3 years (the lawn guy wants $6600/yr for mowing, edging, removing leaves, applying Roundup on weeds in the beds, and keeping the bushes trimmed). The way I see it, if I'm going to spend the money either way, I can do the work myself and get a real nice "free" tractor after about 2.5 years. OTOH, I suspect that between my wife, 11yo son, and 13yo daughter, I'll have lots of volunteers to drive the tractor. That will probably leave me to do all the edge trimming. Yuck.

I expect to be mowing every week during the warm season, of course. I think I'll be doing quite a bit of landscape work over the next 5-10 years, too. A parking pad, a couple new working beds, a garden, several pathways, a new shed, and a new garage are all planned. A loader would be handy for these things, not to mention annual mulching, firewood unloading, and probably the occasional new shrubs. BUT, I know the most important thing for me is the mower. I want to be able to achieve a really nice cut and I'm going to want a mulching kit. I want a nice looking lawn.

By the way, there's only one tree with branches low enough to interfere with the ROPS. All the others are mature and trimmed high.

I haven't completely ruled out the X500 ("only" $6K or so). Wish I could see the X700 someplace. Seriously considering the 1026R with a 60in 7-Iron deck, at this point.

Matt

exteriorfront_1200.jpg 384676_10151344383114129_299406738_n.jpg

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #24  
I have an eXmark Lazer Z 32HP diesel 60" that I pull implements with all the time mainly a 1000# lawn roller. I took a piece of 3" angle iron and drilled and bolted it to the rear framework to make a hitch. It comes with a hitch but I wanted a higher one as I also pull a 5 x 8 utility trailer with it. 6 yeas no problems!

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #25  
Matt,

Currently I mow with the D100. I owned it before I purchased the 1026R, so I didn't buy a mower deck with my R. I have to mow this morning with the D100, then I have a gentlement coming to purchase it (hopefully). I then plan on doing all my mowing with the R. The D100 cuts good enough, but I finally decided that if I am going to own a tractor as nice as the 1026 then I'm going to do everything with it.

From my experience with the R, and what I have heard of the X700 through reviews and forums, we can get just as good of cut quality with the R. But because it sits higher etc, it may be a bit more "bouncy" on my rough hilly areas than the X700. If the picture you posted is of the property that you intend to use the machine on, I think it would work great.

I priced the X700 against the 1026R also, and found that when you add the 3pt hitch loader etc tothe X to make it apples to apples with the R it WAS more money, and at the time the R also had 0 percent financing. I was sold.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #26  
Matt,

Currently I mow with the D100. I owned it before I purchased the 1026R, so I didn't buy a mower deck with my R. I have to mow this morning with the D100, then I have a gentlement coming to purchase it (hopefully). I then plan on doing all my mowing with the R. The D100 cuts good enough, but I finally decided that if I am going to own a tractor as nice as the 1026 then I'm going to do everything with it.

From my experience with the R, and what I have heard of the X700 through reviews and forums, we can get just as good of cut quality with the R. But because it sits higher etc, it may be a bit more "bouncy" on my rough hilly areas than the X700. If the picture you posted is of the property that you intend to use the machine on, I think it would work great.

I priced the X700 against the 1026R also, and found that when you add the 3pt hitch loader etc tothe X to make it apples to apples with the R it WAS more money, and at the time the R also had 0 percent financing. I was sold.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #27  
I think you are on the right track with the 1026r. Everyone that has one seems to love it. It wouldn't be as nimble and handy for mowing as the x749, but it would be fine I'm sure. The 7 iron deck is second to none. The auto connect deck would be nice. Looking at what you want to, it seems like you would benefit from a loader. In my mind that really takes the x series out of the picture. The loader will be the most handy tool you will have. Then in a year or 2 you could get a back hoe; if you thought you could justify it.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #28  
Matt,
You might see if the Deere dealer has a smaller 4ws mower just to get an idea as to how much tighter these will turn.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #29  
Matt,

Your location info says you are in Suwanee, GA. Why not make a trip to the factory? It's located in Grovetown, which looks like it is only about 2 hours from you (I'm not familiar with the area, I just checked it on Google Maps). Then you could actually see the X700's being built!

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #30  
I have enjoyed reading through this thread. Lots of useful and relevant info. I have heard the phrase "analysis paralysis". Sometimes we get the feeling that this kind of research and serious thinking is something our government would benefit from! Once you've done your thinking, ...go with your heart...get what you WANT. Life is short. Have as much fun as you can while at the same time doing what you must to maintain your property. Just a few years from now, the amount of money that you will spend now will not be an issue at all. Whatever you finally get, you will have. So....get what you WANT. (And, what your spouse will go for!)