Tractor Sizing Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #31  
Is it my imagination or is there a lot of components common to some versions of the 700 series and the 2305 and the "new" 1 series? With the the 1 series being a 700 with taller sheet metal, higher seat and larger tires?

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #32  
The ONLY reason I see you needing a 1 series, is if you really want a loader. The loader on the x7 series is just gimicky to me, and I'd prefer a AWS to the loader. If I was you, I would map out how much tractor work you really need done vs how much you need to mow your lawn. I see people with 3x20 sized tractors with a just a mid mount mower and all it would really get used for is being a really expensive lawn mower. 1.5 acres is not much land to work on, and a 1026 will definitely tower over it, but will be the most versatile, and when you need the extra capabilities of the 1026r, you will love it, but it just depends on how much you will use the extra vs how much more it is vs an x7. If you can swallow the cost of the 1026, I'd go for it.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #33  
Is it my imagination or is there a lot of components common to some versions of the 700 series and the 2305 and the "new" 1 series? With the the 1 series being a 700 with taller sheet metal, higher seat and larger tires?

All of these are very close in size and abilities, the tires are the same size on the x749, 1023 and 1026R. Lift capacity might be a little lower on the x749 in use though it will lift a 400lb implement and a 180 lb man standing on it without hesitation.

The 1000 series has higher pressure hydraulics with similar flow rating, two range gearcase and position control and capabilities for a better fel.
The x749 is about 300 lbs lighter, lower slung and better on slopes, has the same size 26 12 12 tires hdap and of course the four wheel steer.
The abilities of these models is so close you are splitting hairs. I think it really comes down to each individuals conditions which is the better choice.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #34  
lots of good info here.
I own the X585, with lots of attachments. prior to that I owned a 445 with mower/blower/cab/blade

I agree with comments about the loader, for raw digging, a 1000 series cut will be better. if your work
load for the front loader is mostly moving loose materials, mulch/firewood etc, then the 700 series loader would be fine.

A couple thoughts, why are you looking at 4wd machines where you have no snow removal? are there steep
hills? you would be amazed at what an X720 can do with only 2wd. Also, if you haven't driven an X700 yet,
how do you know if you even need AWS? as nice as it is, it is an expensive option that will help you trim
smaller trees a little more efficiently than the standard steering machines. With power steering and foot controls
you will be amazed at how quick you can get around a 9" tree very nicely. (i have tons of trees at my new house)

If you are set on 3ph, for tillers etc, and need to do some raw digging with a loader, i'd be on the 1000 boat.
if you want the Cadillac of mowers, and would like a loader for occasional loose material usage, then i swing back
to the X700s, as they are a great mower. I use the 62" deck and love the fact that I have the extra deck width
to trim closer to obstacles, or under the neighbor's horse fence etc.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #35  
I have the BX series and love it. prior to that I had those cheap riding mowers for years and it did the job, but after getting the BX I couldn't imagine life without it now. The front loader is so handy, easy to pop off in mere mins from loader work to mowing. Since I am in area with lots of snow- I use BX to clear the snow as well.

IMHO, its the best 20k with other implements I ever spent and its just like another car payment but it will outlast any cars you own. No regrets. NONE. even with the car like payments. I saved money by doing the work myself, time, and costs in fuel. Before when I mowed with a riding mower - I would burn over 3 gallons of gas with each mowing. With my BX, I burned 5-8 gallons in a MONTH mowing and other stuff. I see you already decided on diesel - but all the more reason to get diesel. However I don't think zero turn is the answer for you if you want to do other things and like doing stuff yourself if you don't want more then one machine to maintain.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #36  
Most Deere Dealer have stopped stocking the 700 series in diesel. They advise the cost of one is near that of a 1023 or 1026 and the later has more standard fearures that cost extra on a 700 series. Once you have a loader you will wonder how you ever lived without one. Pallet forks are also available for loaders on the 1023 and 1026. Small tillers, three point fertilizer distribution systems, sprayers and other implements are available used for the category one systems on the 1023 and 1026. Overall all, mowing, spraying, fertilizer distribution, mulch spreading, shruberry clippings, etc all things a home owner does or will do, a 1023 or 1026 is very hard to beat.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
Your location info says you are in Suwanee, GA. Why not make a trip to the factory? It's located in Grovetown, which looks like it is only about 2 hours from you (I'm not familiar with the area, I just checked it on Google Maps). Then you could actually see the X700's being built!

Now THAT is a cool idea! Does JD give factory tours? Is the X700 made in the Georgia plant?

I have enjoyed reading through this thread. Lots of useful and relevant info. I have heard the phrase "analysis paralysis". Sometimes we get the feeling that this kind of research and serious thinking is something our government would benefit from! Once you've done your thinking, ...go with your heart...get what you WANT. Life is short. Have as much fun as you can while at the same time doing what you must to maintain your property. Just a few years from now, the amount of money that you will spend now will not be an issue at all. Whatever you finally get, you will have. So....get what you WANT. (And, what your spouse will go for!)

Excellent points, for sure. Truly, I don't know what I want. At least, I didn't. I have yet to lay my eyes on an X700, but I can tell you that I really enjoyed driving the 1026R. I think mowing the lawn would be something I'd really look forward to if that was my daily mower!

Er, WEEKLY mower. :)

The ONLY reason I see you needing a 1 series, is if you really want a loader. The loader on the x7 series is just gimicky to me, and I'd prefer a AWS to the loader. If I was you, I would map out how much tractor work you really need done vs how much you need to mow your lawn. I see people with 3x20 sized tractors with a just a mid mount mower and all it would really get used for is being a really expensive lawn mower. 1.5 acres is not much land to work on, and a 1026 will definitely tower over it, but will be the most versatile, and when you need the extra capabilities of the 1026r, you will love it, but it just depends on how much you will use the extra vs how much more it is vs an x7. If you can swallow the cost of the 1026, I'd go for it.

Agreed on all points. Biggest reason to choose the 1026 over the X700 is that the 1026 costs LESS. The H120 loader is just icing on the 1026 cake. If the X700 were a few thousand less than the 1026, I'd be looking at it very seriously.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #40  
Agreed on all points. Biggest reason to choose the 1026 over the X700 is that the 1026 costs LESS. The H120 loader is just icing on the 1026 cake. If the X700 were a few thousand less than the 1026, I'd be looking at it very seriously.

There you go!! Now go get it!