Tractor Sizing Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #61  
If I remember right.... the x748 has an uncut circle of 2' NOT a 2' turning radius. The x748 will no doubt out manuever the 1026R, but I think the 2' vs 7' numbers are not "apples to apples".

You are correct, the x748 is measuring the Inside turning radius and the 1026r is measuring the Outside turning radius. Actually, one turns about the same radius as the other. The difference is two different guys in marketing didn't talk to each other before writing the spec sheet for publication.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
The John Deere website definitely shows the "turning radius" as 25" for the X700 series and 7.4' for the 1026R (pull up either model and check under Steering Specifications). The website also shows that the X740, for example, is capable of a 28" uncut circle radius with the 62X deck. However, I can find no official reference to the uncut circle radius for any deck on the 1026R.

The Husqvarna seems to have a much wider turning radius than I would have expected, but it does work. Inexplicably, the turning radius to the right is almost twice as wide as it is turning to the left. Turning right, I bet it's not far off the JD 1026R's 7.4'! Whatever it is, it's not possible to zip up and down adjacent rows without doing a 3 point turn at the end of each row. Instead, I've been mowing around the edges and zipping up one side of the yard, half way across the yard on the other end, and back down again. It's a rather inefficient way to mow, but its faster than the push mower by a long shot. It would probably take me about 2 hours to mow the whole 1.5 acres with the Husqvarna, vs. ~6 hours to do it with the push mower.

Now, if I could mow the whole place with an X700 in about an hour (pure speculation), it might save me 35 hours per year. Between that and the predicted satisfaction of driving a high end garden tractor, it's probably something I'll think about constantly until I finally buy one.

Update on the Husqvarna: The shop discovered a missing washer on one of the blade spindles. Once they added the required part, the noise problem was resolved. So, for now, I have a working mower that doesn't sound like a helicopter. The cut is pretty good, too. I can make do with it until it breaks again or until I can build a shed big enough to cover something larger.

Last edited:
   / Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
You are correct, the x748 is measuring the Inside turning radius and the 1026r is measuring the Outside turning radius. Actually, one turns about the same radius as the other. The difference is two different guys in marketing didn't talk to each other before writing the spec sheet for publication.

Bigtiller, I didn't notice your comment before my last post. Interesting observation. Those silly marketing guys!

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #64  
Well here is what I have. I have a Bad Boy 60" ZTR, a Toro self-propelled 21" and a Kubota B7500 with bush hog. I can mow the 4 acres with the bush hog and does an good job but is really for the taller rougher stuff. I also mow with that one for a side line business. I use the 60" ZTR and beside a lot of fun I can mow the 4 acres faster and better with that then the bush hog. Since this is a finishing mower naturally the grass looks better. Sorry about the prob's with the Husqvarna but my brother in law has one and sorry to say a piece of junk. It seem their quality over the last couple of years has tanked. I was at one point looking for a RFM for the tractor but the dealer said the I can mow faster with the ZTR.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #65  
If I remember right.... the x748 has an uncut circle of 2' NOT a 2' turning radius. The x748 will no doubt out manuever the 1026R, but I think the 2' vs 7' numbers are not "apples to apples".

The x749 has a 21 turning radius, the x748 has a 25" turning radius, the 1026R has a 7.4' turning radius, the 2720 has a 8.2' turning radius and the 4720 has a 9.4' turning radius. This is for hydraulic fwd for the mowers and mfwd for the tractors, I suspect it is hard to get the tight turning radius out of the mfwd without issues.

Edit; Now if the difference is whether measuring the inside or outside radius that would make up for the large discrepancy. If someone knows what the uncut radius is for the 1026R that would be good to know.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #66  
Personal preference here...
Go with the sub compact tractor...
The x700 series by Deere is a fine machine...
But for most folk like the additional capabilities of the sub compact over the X700 series...
I would think that most Deere dealers sell more sub compacts than the X700 series due to price and extra the extra capacity of the tractor.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #67  
Good luck in your decision.
I have an X728, I use it all year long. It's been strong reliable.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #68  
The x749 has a 21 turning radius, the x748 has a 25" turning radius, the 1026R has a 7.4' turning radius, the 2720 has a 8.2' turning radius and the 4720 has a 9.4' turning radius. This is for hydraulic fwd for the mowers and mfwd for the tractors, I suspect it is hard to get the tight turning radius out of the mfwd without issues.

Edit; Now if the difference is whether measuring the inside or outside radius that would make up for the large discrepancy. If someone knows what the uncut radius is for the 1026R that would be good to know.

I had a chance to measure the inside turning radius of my JD 2720, which is quite a bit larger than the X-series or the new 1-series. What I did was turn in as tight of a circle as possible on leval concrete and measure the tire scrub left on the concrete. It measured about a 40 inch inside radius. So if this big thing can turn in a 40" radius I'm positave the 1 series does not have a 7.4' inside radius.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #69  
I had a chance to measure the inside turning radius of my JD 2720, which is quite a bit larger than the X-series or the new 1-series. What I did was turn in as tight of a circle as possible on leval concrete and measure the tire scrub left on the concrete. It measured about a 40 inch inside radius. So if this big thing can turn in a 40" radius I'm positave the 1 series does not have a 7.4' inside radius.
That is not how you measure "turning radius".

See
Turning radius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wrooster

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #70  
Tractor gives you something that is multi use. It can tow, lift a CAT 0 or CAT I three point hitch load. The tractor can also spin a 540 rpm load such as a roto-tiller, 15KW generator or a snowblower. The tractor will also mount a useable loader.
Turn radius, who cares. I run a push mower and trim the spots neither machine can reach in corners , under trees etc.