Tractor Sizing Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #71  
I had a chance to measure the inside turning radius of my JD 2720, which is quite a bit larger than the X-series or the new 1-series. What I did was turn in as tight of a circle as possible on leval concrete and measure the tire scrub left on the concrete. It measured about a 40 inch inside radius. So if this big thing can turn in a 40" radius I'm positave the 1 series does not have a 7.4' inside radius.

I think a 40" inside turning radius on the 2720 is pretty good, I think you made a good choice in tractors by the way.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #72  
I think a 40" inside turning radius on the 2720 is pretty good, I think you made a good choice in tractors by the way.

Thanks jenkinshp. I think/hope you are right. My 2305 could get under powered easily if I wasn't carefull. But the big reason I jumped up to the 2720 is for the ride. Those 36 inch tires are awesome!

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #73  
Turn radius, who cares. I run a push mower and trim the spots neither machine can reach in corners , under trees etc.

Many will care. I use a 425 AWS. I Cut about 1.75 acres in 1.5 hours. When done. I don't have to touch a push mower or weed eater. And I have many tens of obstacles to mow around. If I had to trim with a push mower or weedeater, it would easily add an hour or more to my cutting time. When time is precious, turning radius can be a real savior. I'll never give up AWS for mowing..... unless I sell out and move to place with just wide open field. All depends on your property situation. For the property I have, my "big" tractor (CK25) stays parked for mowing. A Subcut would be a slight improvement over my CUT. But, my little JD will mow circles around both of them. It is also superior for snow. But besides grass and snow, a real tractor it's not.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #74  
Gittyup,
I care too, the less trimming the better. While I still have a good Stihl string trimmer, Deere JS45 trimmer mower with front casters and Stihl backpack blower the less I need to use these the better I like it.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #75  
Ritmatt, have you bought a tractor? I know you have been looking and have gotten some sound advice and I was, for one, curious to know what direction you may have gone here. I would say as a matter of response to one of your prior questions that the X series machines in 4WD handle a loader just fine---I had one. However, the loader itself is slow and has limited lift capacity making the 1023 or 1026 more capable with loader work. I find it interesting to hear that the X series machines are not "as capable" as a sub-compact tractor. They absolutely are, with the exception of hydraulic work (which is pretty important) and use many of the same attachments. Truth is I am a fan of the 1026 and the X series machines.

John M

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
Ritmatt, have you bought a tractor?

No, not yet. I've been getting by with a freebie Husqvarna riding mower. Now that the grass is going dormant and I've inherited the riding mower, there's not as much pressure to buy right away. I keep going back and forth, but I think I'm leaning towards the X. I'm with you, though - I like them both!

Thanks for checking in.

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #77  
Wrooster wow! What a beautiful place! Not really related to the tractor discussion but where, if I may ask, did you get those doors for your out building? I'm about to build one for myself and I really like what you've done. Also you get a gold star for helpful input. It was a pleasure reading it and seeing the included photos.

FWIW I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1026r. The only thing holding me back at the moment are a few suggestions that I go up to a 2 series instead. Your pictures make me think it's not necessary.

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:
   / Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #78  
Wrooster wow! What a beautiful place! Not really related to the tractor discussion but where, if I may ask, did you get those doors for your out building? I'm about to build one for myself and I really like what you've done. Also you get a gold star for helpful input. It was a pleasure reading it and seeing the included photos.
Thanks for the kind words.

The doors are custom from Scott Hahn at Hahn's Woodworking in Branchburg NJ. Please note that he makes very high quality carriage and garage doors, and they will easily last 50 years because of unique methods of preparation and sealing. He offers his doors in a lot of different types of woods, from the not-so-expensive to the ultra-expensive. And, you can get the doors finished or unfinished; the latter saves you some money.

The model shown on my workshop is Hahn's SX401 in Rustic Cypress w/ light wirebrush finish.

Hahn's Woodworking Company, Inc. - Quality Garage Doors

Incidentally, I have been working on our carriage house/garage for the last year and am in the process of replacing the dilapidated 1930's-era rear door on it with a single door from Hahn's of the same design as the pair on the workshop. I'm almost ready to put the jamb into place and hang the door, see below.

Wrooster

DSCN8094.JPG

DSCN8083.JPG

DSCN8080.JPG

DSCN8173.JPG

DSCN8224.JPG

DSCN8221.JPG

DSCN8226.JPG

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact? #79  
Very nice. And thanks for the information!

/ Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn, or Sub-compact?
Wrooster, that door is gorgeous! I love it!