Buying Advice Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #1  
Tractor
1941 John Deere B electric start
anyone ever deal with them? good/bad experience? I've dealt with them a bunch of times for parts and they're usually pretty good but lately they seem somewhat... disorganized. have had to make multiple trips back because of wrong parts ordered, bought a new piece of equipment that was missing parts. I looked at a 1026R earlier this year and the salesman did absolutely nothing to make me want to buy one. gave me the list price of the tractor, loader, and deck without even asking if I wanted/needed a loader and walked away while I test drove it. do they deal at all? Maple Mountain Equipment in Butler always has sale ads but they don't look like a real dealer, not real big on buying my tractor from a mall parking lot.

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #2  
Stopped there when I was tractor shopping and my opinion of them is "neutral". Didn't get a good or bad vibe from them so I guess I'm not much help. I was not locked in on one brand and went up the road to Sandy Lake implement. I really like those guys and the LS R3039 was just what I was looking for. Now a year and a half later (125 hrs on the meter) and I'm still a happy camper. Good luck in the search!

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA
anyone ever deal with Maple Mountain in Butler? Elders keeps rubbing me the wrong way, maybe it's just me, two salesman now have done absolutely nothing to make me want to buy a tractor there.

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #4  
You can try fisher and father in Cranberry Pa. I have been checking with them on a new deere and so far they have been good.

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #5  
Consider checking out Maple Mountain Equipment in Clarion, Pa (I think it's actually Fairmont City or something similar). It's a bit farther out, but I've had good experiences with them.

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #6  
I've had very good experiences buying tractors, implements and parts at Maple Mountain near Altoona and at Bigler (they have many stores). The Maple Mountain store at Bigler closed about a year ago -- was very disappointed because the sales guy knew Deere tractors and equipment better than most and did everything possible to have satisfied customers.

I've also had good experiences with buying and servicing at Valley Ag and Turf in Center Hall. Their shop is is the best around central PA. They have several stores throughout PA.

Like most places, it all boils down to the people working there.

I stopped at the Maple Mountain in Butler one night to look at their stock, only thing that concerns me is that it's in a strip mall and I didn't see a single implement. are they all like that? I have a good relationship with the parts guys at Elders, I buy a lot of parts for my '41 B there. it didn't seem like their sales staff wanted to deal, I looked at a 1026R and the salesman quoted the list price for the tractor, mower and loader. I don't pay list price for anything so getting a good deal is high on my priority list.

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #8  
I find it hard to believe that these John Deere dealers move any equipment for the price they want. With the lack of decent incentives and looming economic uncertainty and their unwillingness to deal, I for one will not pay those prices for sure.

I use my equipment for business so I get paid for use but I cant pass on my higher expenses to the consumer and cant afford to eat it either. Deere makes great equipment no doubt and would love to own a 4720 but at almost $60,000 I could buy 3 used something's or 2 new other brands.

As they say "if you cant make dollars, atleast makes sense"...

Good luck to all and hope for a better future.

/ Elder's in Sandy Lake, PA #9  
I stopped at the Maple Mountain in Butler one night to look at their stock, only thing that concerns me is that it's in a strip mall and I didn't see a single implement. are they all like that? I have a good relationship with the parts guys at Elders, I buy a lot of parts for my '41 B there. it didn't seem like their sales staff wanted to deal, I looked at a 1026R and the salesman quoted the list price for the tractor, mower and loader. I don't pay list price for anything so getting a good deal is high on my priority list.
All the tractor dealers around central PA will deal because of the competition between green, red, orange and blue brands. There is even competition between three different Deere dealers. Years ago the Deere guys would only quote list prices. That has changed. One can get 10 - 17 % discount on a compact tractor without too much haggling. Good luck.

Deere makes great equipment no doubt and would love to own a 4720 but at almost $60,000 I could buy 3 used something's or 2 new other brands.

that price sounds a little (a lot) high for a 4720. I personally don't understand the pricing on their 4000 series utility tractors and won't own one.

$60K to me means about 8 fully restored 2 cylinders that I can do infinitely more with than a 4720. If I can't get a good deal on a 5D/5E or if the dealer won't let me demo one to see if it will even do the work I need it to do, forget it, I'll buy a 1957 720 diesel.

I was taken aback that Elder's said we don't really demo equipment.