JD 401B industrial: issues, experience, advice

/ JD 401B industrial: issues, experience, advice #1  

RobertH

Tractor
JD 401B
Hi JD folks,

Looking at a JD 401B that research tells me dates from 1973-4. It's a gas engine. It looks reasonable.

My questions:

-what is different on an 'industrial' tractor? Heavier gauge body, bigger bearings, tougher transmission? Does it make any significant difference?
-the hour meter reads 700 hrs. I assume this means 10,700 hours. If so, is it worn out? Or would the engine likely need major work soon? Apparently it was used extensively for grass cutting in previous years (non-agricultural).
-any known problems or foibles?
-parts availability and cost?

It looks like the kind of size and spec in general that I need. I just don't know anything in terms of the reputation of this model or potential pitfalls.

Any insights much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

/ JD 401B industrial: issues, experience, advice #2  
Industrials usually have a one piece front axle vs the adjustable front on ag tractors. the front might have a built in weight. I doubt 10,700 hours, most likely the tach/hour meter was replaced. May or may not have a PTO or three point hitch. Being Deere you will be able to get parts, but not cheap.

/ JD 401B industrial: issues, experience, advice
Industrials usually have a one piece front axle vs the adjustable front on ag tractors. the front might have a built in weight. I doubt 10,700 hours, most likely the tach/hour meter was replaced. May or may not have a PTO or three point hitch. Being Deere you will be able to get parts, but not cheap.

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up buying the tractor. It has a rear PTO as well as a forward-facing independent PTO for belly-mounted gear. It also has a rear 3-pt hitch. i dont see any built in front weight but the axle does look pretty solid. Now to see how it goes....

Rob