deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm going to look at a deere 4300hst w/deere 420 ldr and deere 47 bh, 316 hrs, just sericed, $19500. Warrentee is expired according to the owner, he thinks. The 43000hst TLB sells new for $26,000-$27,000. .The tractor is out of state (about a 4hr drive one way) so i'm hoping to compile a list of things to look for and at to get an idea if there are any problems or if the tractor has been abused. The owner bought the tractor new and used it to clear and prep about 10 acres for his home he was buiulding. The bh has what is called a RSA system (Quick mout frame mount) mouting plates. The owneer told me that he will buy another 4300 w/o bh after this sells. He says (and confirmed buy the deere dealer here) that it is very hard to sell just the bach hoe because the mounting plates are tractor specific. Have been looking at kubota L3010 but this price is too good and besides I like some of the features on the deere better, not all but some. The owner told me that the tractor was in good shape but has been worked hard but not abused. It has a dented fel bucket and some sratches on the tractor from clearing brush. To obtain financing through my C/U I am required to have the tractor appraised by a dealer and hope there is one close to the owners location. Can anyone help me with what questions to ask about the tractor and service and also what to look for and at to determin if there has been abuse and if there is any problems with the machine. Thanks for any suggestions.
Jerry

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh
You should check to see IF the transmission fluid has been changed along with installation of the improved filter. Some of the 4200, 4300 & 4400 hydros had metallic contamination (machine millings) in the transmission fluid that resulted in hydro transmission problems and hydraulic pump problems. Check to see how smoothly the tractor stops when letting up on the forward pedal as well as how smoothly the tractor travels at slow speeds--is it jerky. (suggest using the middle axle range) These suggestions are made because I found out the hard way about metallic contamination with the transmission needing replacement. Were you to do any belly mowing, you might be concerned about whether or not it has the new replacement front end that does not tear the turf out of the ground when turning the tractor at less than halfway to steering lock--but if you are doing FEL and BH work only, this might not be much of an issue to you. Good luck to you

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh #3  
Mike S
Thanks for the tips. You'll notice a change of name-I just registered. How can you tell if it's the upgraded filter and what does it mean if the hydro is jerky. Also, what's the middle axle range? Is that the mid range in the 3 range trans.
Jerry

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh #4  
Some of these checks are specific to the JD 4700 and JD 48 BH but I don't think the 4300 and 47 are all that different.

Make sure the oil filter was changed as well. On the 4700 the oil filter shipped with the tractor is MUCH smaller than the filter required after the first 50 hours. Call the dealer to get the part number on the new oil filter. You might want to do the same with the Tranny filter as well. The HST was supposed to be changed at 50 hours if I remember right. I don't have HST but I remember seeing it in the manual. Ask the dealer if the origional HST tranny filter is the same as the replacement. If not get the new part number so you can see if he changed filters.

Check to see if the fittings have greese. That will give you clue as to how well the tractor was maintained.

Check the BH stabilizer legs when they are in travel position to see if they move to much. They should move back and forth a little but not much. What you are checking is to see if he moved the tractor by mistake when the stabilizers where down and they got hung up on something. I have done this a twice and have not caused any damage. So if the legs are really loose he really wacked 'em.

Looked at the radiator fan housing as well as the fan. It is possible to push the exhaust pipe in a manner that will push the housing into the fan. You might see some scraping inside. Not a real big deal though.

Checked the hydraulic lines under the tractor as well as all control rods to see if they have been hung up on slash when he was land clearing.

Check the fuel filter to see if the ring at the bottom is still in position. If it is floating that means he has bad fuel.

Check the air filter. On the 4700 there is an easy to read gauge that tells you when to change the filter. If you see a red mark its time to change.

Have the seller take off and put on the FEL. It should go on REAL easy. If not adjustments need to be done.

The same thing is true for the BH. It should go on and off REAL easy.

Obviously check for dings and scrapes. If he really put some slash into the tractor you will see the damage.

I would operate the FEL and BH through there full range of motions a couple of times to make sure everything works. I would try to lift something heavy with both implements. If he will let you dig that would be even better.

Hope this helps....
Dan McCarty

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh #5  
dmccarty
Thanks for the information on the filters. I'll check them out. He said he just sevice it so I hope I find every ting in order and all the fittings should have fresh grease in them. Also he said he has change a couple of hoses, don't know if they were pulled apart or just broke.

Thanks for all the information and Merry Christmas to all.

I plan on driving if and the owner even said that if I came down at a time when he was at work to just go-a-head and drive it, the keys are in it. That sound pretty honest and trusting to me.

Jerry

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh
Sorry that I do not recall what the original filter's part number is, nor the part number of the newer style filter--but any JD dealer will have this information. The axle range that I was meaning was the mid range of the three choices. If the hydro is jerky, the tractor will not travel smoothly and steadily at low speed without jerking AND when traveling down a fairly steep slope (like a pond dam) it may very briefly completely slip and then catch and then slip again. Mike S.

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh #7  
I would not be surprised if he had to replace some hydraulic hoses if he has been clearing land. It is very easy to hang something up on a hose and either pull it out, abrade it, or push the hose where it can be pinched.

Let us know what happens....
Dan McCarty

/ deere4300hst w/420 ldr &47 bh #8  
Mike
That's what I thought you meant when you refered to the axle range. Thanks I'll try that.
Dan
I also thought it would be likely that some hoses could be broken while clearing brush. I think that would be quit nomal if it's heave brush and your not real careful.

Jerry