30hp decision, could use some advice

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #11  
Hiya,

My suggestion would be to look to the E series (3032 or 3038) or even the 4005 or 4105 if you have the extra bucks. My logic in this is that your concerned about tractive effort when pulling heavy ground working attachments, the 3000-4000 series have the weight and therefor traction for heavy work.

I would not look to the 2000 series because they simply don't have the chassis weight to put the power to the ground without slipping under load. The 2000 series should be looked at as mainly a really large garden tractor, well suited for loading, tilling and mowing, it really suffers from lack of weight for the HP it has.

Since you already have a larger tractor with a loader, the 3x20 series really would be a poor choice as they offer mainly higher capacity loaders, which you don't need and complex ehydro systems intended for loader work. Unless your looking for a cab, the 3x20 series would not be a great choice as your primary use is PTO HP and 3pt work.

Which ever model you do end up with, I would load the rears, add at least 1 weight to each side and properly ballast the front with suitcase weights for the cutter. That should give you the most bang for the buck and deliver the PTO and ground effort your looking for at a reasonable price.

My two cents,

Tom

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #12  
I have the 3320, cab tractor, and without a doubt, would not look at anything smaller. Handiest thing I've ever owned, and if you want to add an option it's not a problem. with a smaller tractor, it probably will be.

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #13  
Tomd999,
Are you sure you would load the tires on a small tractor that is used primarily for mowing and tilling? I know I would not want the extra compaction that would result and don't think he needs the traction. The larger tractor would be much better for the higher draft loads anyway.

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice
roush9799, good question. I have a 10ft bushhog for it. I need something smaller to go around trees and get into tight areas. The 5303 is too big of tractor if with a small bush hog to get around those tight places.

jenkinsph excellent point, I didn't realize the E series had a larger turn radius

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice
So I have found a 06 3320 with 300x and 224 hrs for $15500 and a 08 2720 with 200cx and 62 deck for $16000 with 148 hours. I'm leaning to 3320 because it is a little heavier. Thoughts? Decided again e series because if I put a loader on it, it won't be removable.

Thanks!

Scott

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #16  
I took delivery of my 3320 a few weeks ago and am loving it. I looked hard at the 2520 before buying. One of the biggest things that pushed me into the 3320 was the scissor style deluxe seat! After going over a few bumps with both tractors I knew my back would be paying for the 2000 series. I jumped over the e series tractors because I wanted to remove the loader and have the option of a back hoe in the future. Plus it seemed like the 3320 had a few more nice features. I couldn't be happier with the 3320. Also, as far as financing goes.... I would go new and take advantage of 0 percent for 5 years. The best rate I could get on a used was 5.4. In the end, I would have been paying more for the used.... And who doesn't want a new tractor! Here is mine... MX5 brush hog is on the way.

image-3664199965.jpg

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #17  
jdphan and ductape - I like the way orange stands out in the field :wave:- besides, I'm in orange dealership country here, the green dealerships are farther away, but I promise to check out all flags at the Fall Fair. note that I have an LT160 (previously an LT116).

I learn so much on this TBN forum, mostly because I am trying to figure out what all the tractor jargon is - the model numbers need to come colour-coded, that would help but would also limit the fun :tractor:

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #18  
So I have found a 06 3320 with 300x and 224 hrs for $15500 and a 08 2720 with 200cx and 62 deck for $16000 with 148 hours. I'm leaning to 3320 because it is a little heavier. Thoughts? Decided again e series because if I put a loader on it, it won't be removable.

Thanks!

Scott

I would say that you have to make a judgement call as to which will fit best in the spaces you have to work. Most will always suggest the larger tractor thinking it is more capable and while this has its merits a smaller tractor may fit the spaces alot better. Can't help much with the used pricing as I haven't done the research on that.

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #19  
jeff9366, thanks for the suggestion, but I bleed green. Always had JD and don't plan to stop.

Bleedgreen, thanks for the tips that is good to know. GUess I will think about the 2720 new then. Do you know when they switch over to the new models?

You might want to consider a 790 or 3005. Basically the same machine as your 670 (the learning curve would be about 3 seconds...as long as it takes to mount the machine). The PTO HP is 24...about 8 more HP then you have with your 670.

My first was a 670...wish I'd kept it too, sometimes.