30hp decision, could use some advice

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #1  

sacarmic

Tractor
Deere 5085e, 3320
So I think it is time to upgrade my old 670. It just doesn't have enough power to really handle my bush hog that well. So I am looking for a newer tractor, probably a used one in the 30hp range. Here is where I'm having a hard time and would be appreciated any input you all might have.

So in this range, I'm looking at the 2720, 3320 and possibly the 3032e or 3038e. The e series has one big advantage, the price. But the 3320 and 20270 seem to be nicer tractors. I'm wondering if the 3320 might have a disadvantage because it is taller so a high center of gravity plus a larger turning radius. But at the same time seems like a heavier duty tractor.

I don't plan on getting a loader because I have one on my 5303. But I may have to because I am seeing very few used ones with a loader. Most of what I will be using with this tractor is a bushhog, yardbox and tiller.

So based on the above, what do you all think? Am I talking myself into the 2720? Should I just go new, because it seems like there isn't much discount on used tractors under 200hr. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #2  
If you have a sense that you need additional power, an increase of 50% is the MINIMUM you should consider.

Consider the 'B' series from Kubota. I have a Kubota B3300SU tractor/loader package, 33-hp/25-hp PTO, 1,800 pounds.

Kubota replaced a JD/Yanmar 750 with 20-hp.

You will NOT notice a small power/weight increase. Increase at least 50% or you will still feel underpowered.

Last edited:
   / 30hp decision, could use some advice #3  
If you are at all thinking about a 2720 you should get it done soon... The replacement 2032R will have the newer T4 engine and we are being told that the price increase will be substantial as it is over the 25hp threshold for the current tier. The 2520 is going away completely (26.5hp) and the 2320 will become the 2025R with a 24.8hp engine and as such should not see a large price increase for 2013.

While the 3x20 Series are a heavier duty tractor they also have additional electronics that are not found on the 3E Series. Is it a "basic" tractor? Absolutely, but do you need more? For the tasks you outlined I feel that the 3E would be perfect for you - and - you can currently get a new 3032E, 4WD, Hydro with 305 Loader for less than a 2720 tractor without a loader.

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice
jeff9366, thanks for the suggestion, but I bleed green. Always had JD and don't plan to stop.

Bleedgreen, thanks for the tips that is good to know. GUess I will think about the 2720 new then. Do you know when they switch over to the new models?

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #5  
You only mention bush hogging as a task. I have a 3038e and bush hog regularly - a 5 foot cutter. It handles it beautifully, much better than my old JD 2030 - and much more nimble at getting around fences and such. A friend has the 3032e and also bush hogs with no problems. I find the 3038e a sound, dependable CUT. I sort of wish I had gotten the 3320, but only for the weight. I also use my tractor to box blade (6 foot BB) my mile-long drive, and it just isn't heavy enough to pull a full BB up a hill without slipping. Still, for everything else, it's more than adequate.

I don't necessarily bleed green, but every time I have compared JD to other tractors, the JD has come off with a better deal.

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #6  
jeff9366, thanks for the suggestion, but I bleed green. Always had JD and don't plan to stop.

that's okay Jeff, I'm a bit of an orangebleeder myself, I was going to suggest the B3030 that I am considering.:thumbsup:

:fishing:

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #7  
And here I thought I was in the John Deere area. I wonder why the orangebleeders often have to leak into the green zone. Is it envy or jealousy?

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #8  
;)
And here I thought I was in the John Deere area. I wonder why the orangebleeders often have to leak into the green zone. Is it envy or jealousy?

Definitely jealousy......... thats why we cut that hole in the fence and sneak in after dark ! We are hoping some of your snobbiness will rub off on us regular folk............ ;)

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #9  
WHy don't you get a bushhog for your 5303? Just curious.

/ 30hp decision, could use some advice #10  
So I think it is time to upgrade my old 670. It just doesn't have enough power to really handle my bush hog that well. So I am looking for a newer tractor, probably a used one in the 30hp range. Here is where I'm having a hard time and would be appreciated any input you all might have.

So in this range, I'm looking at the 2720, 3320 and possibly the 3032e or 3038e. The e series has one big advantage, the price. But the 3320 and 20270 seem to be nicer tractors. I'm wondering if the 3320 might have a disadvantage because it is taller so a high center of gravity plus a larger turning radius. But at the same time seems like a heavier duty tractor.

Looking at the uses you listed, brush cutting, boxblade?, and tilling I would think you can get by without split brakes. If price is important then I would suggest the 3032E or 3038E plenty of power for the jobs you mention. I don't care for small loaders that much either but will say that if you think this might be an add on in the future I would go for the 2720 or 3320 with the split brakes.
I don't plan on getting a loader because I have one on my 5303. But I may have to because I am seeing very few used ones with a loader. Most of what I will be using with this tractor is a bushhog, yardbox and tiller.

So based on the above, what do you all think? Am I talking myself into the 2720? Should I just go new, because it seems like there isn't much discount on used tractors under 200hr. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Since you have a larger tractor for the big jobs it would appear to me that the best bang for the buck would be a 3032E without a fel. Add some front weights and if necessary you should be able to get wheel spacers to extend the width if you operate on slopes. It does have an independent pto which you will find a plus for your uses and I would check to see if a hydraulic top link is available for the boxblade work.

If you have the cash to buy the 2720 or 3320 and need to operate in close quarters they can manuever better than the E series tractors and would be my personal choice. I suggest that you buy before the new Tier 4 engine models come in as this will increase the cost and complexity. I have considered buying a new 2720 for my landscaping business but may have to wait for now, not sure if business is enough to justify the increased costs.