JD 2240

/ JD 2240 #1  

Boots

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 2240 2wd, (50 pto hp)
I went and looked at a JD 2240 today. It has 1150 hrs., and according to the SN, was built around 1980. I have a few questions for the board.

1. One of the brakes doesn't work. I don't know if this is an adjustment issue, or if the brake pad is worn out. What is involved in replaceing the brakes, and more importantly, How Much?

2. The tractor has a two stage clutch. Push it half way and change gears, push it all the way, and the pto stops. Why is this needed? It seems you can just engage or disengage the pto via the pto on/off lever.

3. Another web site 'tractor tips', says the pto has 50 hp, and the drawbar has 42. Is this correct, or should the drawbar have 50, and the pto have 42 hp?

Thanks in advance.

Boots.

/ JD 2240 #2  
Boots,
I know very little about the JD.

I have a couple of questions.
1.What size hp are you interested in.
2.Do you want attachments...FEL&BH etc..
3.What is your price range.
4.How far will you travel.

Ideas.
If your locate tractor dealers also country stores etc.. have a bulletin board post and add.
Check the banks for repo's.
Go to farm auctions.

Tractor hunting can be fun if you let it,and the knowledge you learn on the way helpful.

Have a pleasant day.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ JD 2240 #3  
Boots, I doubt that I can help much, but:
1. I've never fixed brakes on a John Deere, but I've heard it's a relatively simple job.
2. When the PTO lever is off, the PTO is off (disengaged) no matter what you do with the clutch. When it's on, then the two stage clutch controls it.
3. From what I've seen, on most hydrostatic transmissions, the drawbar horsepower is greater than the PTO horsepower, but on a straight geared tractor, the PTO horsepower may be greater than the drawbar horsepower (or at least that's the ratings I've seen; won't claim to entirely understand it)./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ JD 2240
Thomas,
I really have need for two tractors to be honest. I live on about 20 acres with just a few acres in open pasture that could be maintained with a small tractor (30hp class). I would love to have the FEL with this tractor to assist in landscaping, but the primary use would be mowing with a rotary cutter. I dream of a boomer for this purpose, but I'll have to save up a couple of years to get one.

On the other hand, the wife and I maintain about 120 acres of Timberland that belongs to her parents. Other than wildlife food plots, there's little work now, but we hope to open up some fields for a total of 25acres of pasture land. I really need a 50hp class tractor for this since the property is 200mi. away, and our time is limited to about one weekend a month up there. I figure I can do the work in about half the time since I can use larger implements, and can work in a higher gear.

Solution, buy a larger (50hp class) tractor now (used) that can accomplish maintenance on both properties, and in a few years, buy a second smaller tractor for the 20 acre plot, and permanently relocate the large tractor to the remote property. ( I don't look forward to hauling a tractor and equipment for the rest of my days)

As far as price, I could wait two years and pay $20K, or I can free up about $7K right now.

Bird, Thanks for the info. I'd like to hear more from others on this drawbar vs. pto hp issue, as well as brake maintenance.

Take Care and Happy New Year!
Boots