Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #11  
There is nothing special about the conditions in the Rio Grande valley the fine sand you speak of (blow sand) is easily navigated with all type tires from hdap R1, R3 and R4. If you were to do some really heavy ground engaging tasks the having 4x4 is better, you get more drawbar pull for the machine weight. If you have to operate on steep slopes I prefer 4x4 for all wheel braking, but for a flat piece of ground such as you discribed a two wheel drive tractor is all you need.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?
My tractor needs are relatively few, as the property is already developed. I won't need a FEL and the arena drag that I plan to buy can also be used to rip compacted soil if the need arose.

We have very sandy soil here in Albuquerque (with some clay in spots), but it can compact if left alone, In talking with tractor owners here, they recommend a 4WD, just in case. I have also read several stories on the forum lately where people are looking for ways to keep their rear tires from spinning in the sand (ballasted tires, additional lead weights etc). I would love to save some money and go 2WD, but getting it home and having the rear tires spin in the sand would be a real disappointment.

As they say, better to have it (4WD) and not need it than the other way around.
Thanks to all for their thoughts and input. I'm targeting a springtime purchase, so I still have time to adjust my goals. Thanks to the forum, my education continues!

Steffan

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #13  
Well, you know your situation and your needs the best, but if you're buying a used machine and you're not in a rush, you should be able to fine a great machine with a FEL at the price you're willing to pay. A FEL is by far the most useful attachment you can have on the tractor. Even if you detach it and rarely use it, you won't pay much to any more for a tractor with one if you're carefully buying used. Yes, I'm partial to Kioti, but they offer a free FEL promotion that usually starts up in the spring on tractors in the CK and DK lines ranging from 22hp to 50hp. All this to say, regardless of what type or size of tractor, new or used, you end up with, really really really consider getting a FEL, you will never regret it.

Thanks Ken,

In looking at used tractors, I see what you mean about the small difference in price between tractors with and without the FEL. The resale (if it came to that) would be higher as well.
Can you comment on the approximate year that the easilly detached FEL became available? It would really be nice to be able to quickly remove and then reattach the FEL.

Thanks again,

Steffan

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #15  
well again, speaking of my 1070 with 80 loader- the loader is quick attach and they were available in the late 80's. Some before that may have been too, but at least you know they go back that far. The newer version of mine- the 440 also had a QA bucket.

I was thinking, if you already have a drag in mind- maybe go ahead and buy it then rent a landscape tractor with 4x4 and try it out for day or so. If you can do everything you need to in 2wd, then you know. You'll be out around $250, but you'll get to drag your field ahead of time and you will be able to hopefully avoid a potentially wrong purchase. Also, depending on who you buy from, maybe they will let you try it out for weekend before you buy- at least most dealers probably would.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #16  
Thanks Ken,

In looking at used tractors, I see what you mean about the small difference in price between tractors with and without the FEL. The resale (if it came to that) would be higher as well.
Can you comment on the approximate year that the easilly detached FEL became available? It would really be nice to be able to quickly remove and then reattach the FEL.

Thanks again,

Steffan

Sorry, I don't know what year, but the FEL on my my 20 yr old JD 955 came off just as easily as my 2012 Kioti FEL does. I know some of the new JD economy models don't come off (JD 3032e and 3038e), but the norm is that FEL's come off pretty easily. Even when I'm using my tractor without the FEL (box blade or snow removal), I don't find any great benefit or need to remove the FEL.

The cats A## is SSQA (skid steer quick attach) on the loader. Unfortunately, JD went proprietary on that one and came up with their own version, but they're now adopting it. It will allow you to put any skid steer attachment on your FEL in less than 30 seconds, forks, grapples, buckets, post hole augers (so much better than the 3pt version) etc. It's standard on Kioti (Bobcat, McCormik, Landini are all built by Kioti) and probably a bunch of others like Mahindra, LS (I don't know for sure) etc. They are now available on JD as an option I believe and Kubota has them on the Grand L line and an option on the Standard L line (I believe).

Thanks Mike,

That's a great idea about the rental. I think that I will give that a try in the next month or so. It also looks like the non-QD FELs aren't that bad to remove either, so that probably won't be an issue.

Thanks again,

Steffan

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #18  
Forget about the 820 tractor I mentioned, I am not interested in selling it to someone who might feel they are being shorted in any way.

You should be better informed when shopping for a tractor though. When you are looking to buy a machine for a small property such as you describe and may contemplate tillage to reduce compaction a rear tiller should be the best choice for you. In close quarters work a tller can be backed up to a fence or wall and will start tilling to full depth right away. Things suck as disks need to be pulled about 20 to 30 ft to become engaged fully. Disks are great for large open areas, tillers are great for confined built up spaces. A common forward rotation rear tiller will push the tractor forward, not much chance of getting stuck. If you were to push in the clutch partially on a tractor with live pto with the tiller on back the tiller would quickly push the tractor across the ground, the tractor in use is holding the tiller back.

The 790 is a good popular tractor although it is one of the economy models built to a lower price point than the newer 2320 thru 3120 series tractors. Depending on your budget I would think that choosing a new tractor with hydrostatic transmission would be the easiest to use. I do close quarters work all the time in my business in Ruidoso and find that the hydrostatic transmission is best for me. My reason for selling the 820 is that with the larger 110tlb and 4520 and the smaller x749 garden tractor I am looking for something inbetween those sizes. So my intentions are to buy a new 2720 or it's new 2R equivalent when the 820 is sold. For my work that would be a good size for the majority of work I do in lawn and lot repair.

My point is that what is best to buy depends on your use and budget, doesn't take much to pull an arena rake you can find a good 4x2 tractor around
Albuquerque for a few thousand dollars to handle that task. Or you can spend $25,000 and get a brand new hydrostatic tractor with fel and attachments and 4x4, I work all over the state and haven't found the soil in yur locale to be difficult to work with, being a native of Louisiana and having worked the gumbo soils now that is where you can stick anything.

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate your insight and help. Please try to remember that I'm trying to become informed about tractors. That's why I'm here.

No disrespect intended regarding the 2WD vs 4WD aspects of my posts or of your tractor offering.

I would be the first one to jump at the chance to save significant money and buy 2WD. If I rent something (like Mike suggests), switch between 4 and 2WD and have it work for me, I think that I will be sold on the idea. I think that most would agree that it is best to buy once and have your needs met than to buy, find out that your purchase didn't fit your needs, then trade in and buy again.

We'll see how it all goes. By the way, I do appreciate the operating detail that you provide. It's very helpful in building my understanding.

Thanks again,

Steffan

Last edited:
   / Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #20  
Sorry, I don't know what year, but the FEL on my my 20 yr old JD 955 came off just as easily as my 2012 Kioti FEL does. I know some of the new JD economy models don't come off (JD 3032e and 3038e), but the norm is that FEL's come off pretty easily. Even when I'm using my tractor without the FEL (box blade or snow removal), I don't find any great benefit or need to remove the FEL.

The cats A## is SSQA (skid steer quick attach) on the loader. Unfortunately, JD went proprietary on that one and came up with their own version, but they're now adopting it. It will allow you to put any skid steer attachment on your FEL in less than 30 seconds, forks, grapples, buckets, post hole augers (so much better than the 3pt version) etc. It's standard on Kioti (Bobcat, McCormik, Landini are all built by Kioti) and probably a bunch of others like Mahindra, LS (I don't know for sure) etc. They are now available on JD as an option I believe and Kubota has them on the Grand L line and an option on the Standard L line (I believe).

The 3032e and 3038e loaders come off . . . they went on the tractor they can come off. It just doesn't happen very quickly.

Using both I can tell you that I like the Deere quick attach 1000 times more than the skid steer. It's lighter (more lift capacity on the smaller tractors) and much easier to hook up. You can give the counterexample of more possible attachments, but 99% of those are built way too heavy for a regular CUT and/or a CUT doesn't have enough hydraulic capacity to run them. Some people like the idea of renting hydraulic attachments as well, the thought of mixing hydraulic fluids from dozens to hundreds of different machines all with a questionable service record scares the life out of me to think I'd put that on my tractor. And I still haven't been able to find a SSQA implement that is simply not offered in JDQA form . . . and should that day come, a handy person can convert it in an hour or you can take it to a shop and have it done extremely cheap.

And for those of those who really do prefer the SSQA anyway, JD offers it still. Seems like your really trying to push a 'not a JD' on him really hard :confused3: