Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41
  1. #21
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Martian,
    I should point out that on your 110 if you will paint some index stripes on your buckets and forks it helps alot with lineup and mating to the ssqa. On a skid steer you can see what you are doing but on a tractor with engine out front the index or marker stripes make alignment much easier.

  2. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by smarley View Post
    Thanks Steve,

    I appreciate your insight and help. Please try to remember that I'm trying to become informed about tractors. That's why I'm here.

    No disrespect intended regarding the 2WD vs 4WD aspects of my posts or of your tractor offering.

    I would be the first one to jump at the chance to save significant money and buy 2WD. If I rent something (like Mike suggests), switch between 4 and 2WD and have it work for me, I think that I will be sold on the idea. I think that most would agree that it is best to buy once and have your needs met than to buy, find out that your purchase didn't fit your needs, then trade in and buy again.

    We'll see how it all goes. By the way, I do appreciate the operating detail that you provide. It's very helpful in building my understanding.

    Thanks again,

    Steffan
    When you try out a tractor find out what it weighs as that is very important for traction. My 4520 60hp cab tractor is about 4300 lbs before ballasting, the 820 is 4250 before ballasting. A 790 or other small tractor would be about half that, just so you are aware.

  3. #23
    Gold Member nikdfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    462
    Location
    Person Co. NC
    Tractor
    John Deere 3038E & 1025R FILB

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    About the 3000E series, the 305 loader can be set up with a parking kit (costs about $350?) that does a quick off & on for everything except the cast iron masts. I don't have one myself, the bucket is a quick remove/replace and that is enough for me to make maneuvering simpler when running the finish mower ...

    +1 on getting something with a FEL. Once you have one you find tons of things to use it on.
    +1 on HST (or equivilant) if you are going to do much in tight quarters or do precise work with the FEL.

    Nick
    2010 John Deere 3038E w/305 FEL
    Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, Frontier BB2060 Box Blade, Jinma 6" Chipper from Ranch Hand Supply, TSC Tarter 5' Rotary Tiller, Middle Buster, ASC Keulavator Hiller/Bedder, Caroni 59" Finish Mower
    2010 Gator CX
    2013 John Deere 1025R FILB w/ Bro-Tek thumb & ripper
    Retired FBOP NRA Life

  4. #24
    Veteran Member kiotiken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,397
    Location
    Dunrobin, Ont
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    The 3032e and 3038e loaders come off . . . they went on the tractor they can come off. It just doesn't happen very quickly.
    You could say the same for the engine or transmission. There's no kick stand for the FEL, it's not designed to be removable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Using both I can tell you that I like the Deere quick attach 1000 times more than the skid steer. It's lighter (more lift capacity on the smaller tractors) and much easier to hook up. You can give the counterexample of more possible attachments, but 99% of those are built way too heavy for a regular CUT and/or a CUT doesn't have enough hydraulic capacity to run them. Some people like the idea of renting hydraulic attachments as well, the thought of mixing hydraulic fluids from dozens to hundreds of different machines all with a questionable service record scares the life out of me to think I'd put that on my tractor. And I still haven't been able to find a SSQA implement that is simply not offered in JDQA form . . . and should that day come, a handy person can convert it in an hour or you can take it to a shop and have it done extremely cheap.

    And for those of those who really do prefer the SSQA anyway, JD offers it still.
    Well, lighter is a bit of a stretch, what is the most we could be talking about in the mounting, 10-20 lbs? It's not often that makes a difference. I've never hooked up with the JD system (my 955 didn't have it), but I'm not sure how it could actually get any easier than the SSQA. I'll also give you that you can probably find every attachment with a JDQA equivalent, but you're missing the point. For better or worse, SSQA is an industry standard. There are 1000's of new and used attachments for every JDQA out there. That absolutely drives price on both new and used. You may have an option with JDQA, but you'll have 10 model choices and a much better chance of finding a good used attachment with SSQA. Now that JD is starting to move over to SSQA, it seems like it's only a matter of time before JDQA goes the way of beta max. Check out the inventory of the worlds largest equipment auction to see how much SSQA is available, I bought a set of heavy duty forks that way, brand new for $450 and they match up to my tractor (capacity wise) very nicely. New & Used Skid Steer Attachments Equipment for Sale | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

    I give you the point on hydraulic fluid with rental attachments, 100% valid.

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Seems like your really trying to push a 'not a JD' on him really hard
    No, but I am pushing 'not ONLY a JD'. It's his first tractor. I was in that boat about 4 years ago, when I started shopping, I knew nothing (and had never heard of TBN). I was only buying green or orange, and not the orange I have now. Was my 955 a mistake? I don't think so, I learned a lot from it, but it's nothing close to the tractor I've ended up with. There are a lot of great choices, but it's very hard for a first time buyer to understand that, all they know is that the house hold names in tractors are JD and kubota. There are a lot of others and they should not be overlooked. I'm partial to Kioti (Daedong from South Korea), and you'd have a hard time arguing you're not partial to JD. The OP needs to look at ALL his options to figure out what he'll be partial to.

  5. #25
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    kiotiken,

    I am partial to Deere because after having many different brands in the past the Deere equipment seemed to be the best overall. Nothing wrong with being partial or impartial to a brand either. Most of us go with what has worked in the past and continues to work for us today, until things change. I do look at all the brands closely every time I shop for a new tractor.

    BUT,, I am sick and tired of China buying raw materials from us and selling us the finished products. This isn't sustainable for the USA and I am here to say people in the USA had better wake up.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member kiotiken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,397
    Location
    Dunrobin, Ont
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    kiotiken,

    I am partial to Deere because after having many different brands in the past the Deere equipment seemed to be the best overall. Nothing wrong with being partial or impartial to a brand either. Most of us go with what has worked in the past and continues to work for us today, until things change. I do look at all the brands closely every time I shop for a new tractor.

    BUT,, I am sick and tired of China buying raw materials from us and selling us the finished products. This isn't sustainable for the USA and I am here to say people in the USA had better wake up.

    I agree, there's nothing wrong with being partial at all. The only danger is when you are buying the next tractor, it is best not to be blinded by what you already have. It isn't sustainable for the US or us here in Canada either. There have been many posts on where JD is actually made, and the truth is, all over the world. They do still build some of them in the US and they are at least a US company. That obviously means more to you than me, and if there was still a Canadian tractor company, I may be much more inclined to support them, but since there are not, I look at what each machine can do, it's features and its price. If your only criteria is to support the US, then JD may be the best bet, otherwise you should shop to make sure it's the best tractor for you. As for the specific reference to China, lets be clear, Kioti is not Chinese, they are South Korean, you know, the country that produces the most smart phones in the world (Samsung, yes, more than Apple), a heck of a lot of the electronics and appliances in your house (LG), and many of the cars around you (Hyundai, Kia) along with much, much more. That doesn't make it much better, but the main competition to JD is from Japan and most of the rest don't even build their own tractors anymore anyway. It's a global economy, and tractors are no different.

  7. #27
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post
    I agree, there's nothing wrong with being partial at all. The only danger is when you are buying the next tractor, it is best not to be blinded by what you already have. It isn't sustainable for the US or us here in Canada either. There have been many posts on where JD is actually made, and the truth is, all over the world. They do still build some of them in the US and they are at least a US company. That obviously means more to you than me, and if there was still a Canadian tractor company, I may be much more inclined to support them, but since there are not, I look at what each machine can do, it's features and its price. If your only criteria is to support the US, then JD may be the best bet, otherwise you should shop to make sure it's the best tractor for you. As for the specific reference to China, lets be clear, Kioti is not Chinese, they are South Korean, you know, the country that produces the most smart phones in the world (Samsung, yes, more than Apple), a heck of a lot of the electronics and appliances in your house (LG), and many of the cars around you (Hyundai, Kia) along with much, much more. That doesn't make it much better, but the main competition to JD is from Japan and most of the rest don't even build their own tractors anymore anyway. It's a global economy, and tractors are no different.


    I use John Deere because it has worked out well for me so far, until that changes they will have a little priority with me. The next closest dealer is an additional 50 miles away. About the Kioti I understand it is South Korean and appears to be a good tractor.

    About China, I like to buy from our friends and alies such as Canada, Austrailia, Britain and to some degree Mexico, there are others too but these are the main ones. I don't have a problem with importing goods from other countries but I do have a problem with imbalanced trade. If the countries such as China wan't to sell us only finished goods in mass and buy a very minimal amount of finished goods from North America then that is not a good deal. I should also say I am not fond of unions either and am not interested in supporting them in most cases. I support the right to work states and would like to see an increase in productivity here in North Americal.

    Some people refer to this as a global economy, I refer to this as a train wreck. I look around me and have a hard time finding any durable goods made on our continent, so with such a decline in manufacturing here it sends shivers up my spine when I think about any possibilities of war. When we loose all of our machine tools we are doomed here in the US and Canada is doomed as well. At 60 years old I may squeak thru this if I don't live too long but I am very concerned about the younger people and their future.

  8. #28
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    Martian,
    I should point out that on your 110 if you will paint some index stripes on your buckets and forks it helps alot with lineup and mating to the ssqa. On a skid steer you can see what you are doing but on a tractor with engine out front the index or marker stripes make alignment much easier.
    The problem isn't in alignment, I can see the corners of the QH fine on both my 110 and 5410, the problem is that the 'lips' are much smaller and offer much less forgiveness than the JDQA. There's a large 'U' shape in the JDQA that extends down 3-4 inches. In my 12 years with the JDQA on my 5410, I've missed the mark on hooking it up (say only getting one side latched) only a couple dozen times. I've done more like twice that number in the last 6 months with my 110. It doesn't matter if my arms are curled all the way up or down on the JDQA, I can hook it up in a jiffy. I've found there is a precise amount of curl/rollback to be able to hookup the SSQA with ease. Multiple times working in the woods I've had a stick hit the bottom of one of the locking arms on SSQA and I have to get off and relatch. Once half of the bucket was off the tractor and dangling by the other. When hooking up there's even less forgiveness in pushing the latching arms down, which are harder to reach than the outside latches on the JDQA. None of these have been problems on my other tractors with the JDQA. I was really excited to get the SSQA, because I thought it was going to be awesome, but I am extremely disappointed in the end. I really wish I had a JDQA.

    Quote Originally Posted by kiotiken View Post
    1*You could say the same for the engine or transmission. There's no kick stand for the FEL, it's not designed to be removable.



    2*Well, lighter is a bit of a stretch, what is the most we could be talking about in the mounting, 10-20 lbs? It's not often that makes a difference. I've never hooked up with the JD system (my 955 didn't have it), but I'm not sure how it could actually get any easier than the SSQA. I'll also give you that you can probably find every attachment with a JDQA equivalent, but you're missing the point. For better or worse, SSQA is an industry standard. There are 1000's of new and used attachments for every JDQA out there. That absolutely drives price on both new and used. You may have an option with JDQA, but you'll have 10 model choices and a much better chance of finding a good used attachment with SSQA. Now that JD is starting to move over to SSQA, it seems like it's only a matter of time before JDQA goes the way of beta max. Check out the inventory of the worlds largest equipment auction to see how much SSQA is available, I bought a set of heavy duty forks that way, brand new for $450 and they match up to my tractor (capacity wise) very nicely. New & Used Skid Steer Attachments Equipment for Sale | Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers

    I give you the point on hydraulic fluid with rental attachments, 100% valid.



    3*No, but I am pushing 'not ONLY a JD'. It's his first tractor. I was in that boat about 4 years ago, when I started shopping, I knew nothing (and had never heard of TBN). I was only buying green or orange, and not the orange I have now. Was my 955 a mistake? I don't think so, I learned a lot from it, but it's nothing close to the tractor I've ended up with. There are a lot of great choices, but it's very hard for a first time buyer to understand that, all they know is that the house hold names in tractors are JD and Kubota. There are a lot of others and they should not be overlooked. I'm partial to Kioti (Daedong from South Korea), and you'd have a hard time arguing you're not partial to JD. The OP needs to look at ALL his options to figure out what he'll be partial to.
    1* As nikdfish states below, there is a parking stand that can be accompanied with the tractor, which makes it quick detach. This is common misconception

    2* Can be as much as 60 pound difference, which is HUGE on these smaller CUT's/SCUT's. Can be 7-10% of the lift capacity right there. Kubota DOES NOT OFFER a quick hitch on their SCUT's because the only style they use SSQA, would add too much dead weight and extend the load out to far to make it feasible. The choice here is JDQA, or nothing!

    3* The OP here has stated to your comments that he is looking for a JD tractor primarily, with other brands in mind. You continue to relentlessly bash JD for no reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    About the 3000E series, the 305 loader can be set up with a parking kit (costs about $350?) that does a quick off & on for everything except the cast iron masts. I don't have one myself, the bucket is a quick remove/replace and that is enough for me to make maneuvering simpler when running the finish mower ...

    +1 on getting something with a FEL. Once you have one you find tons of things to use it on.
    +1 on HST (or equivilant) if you are going to do much in tight quarters or do precise work with the FEL.

    Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post
    I use John Deere because it has worked out well for me so far, until that changes they will have a little priority with me. The next closest dealer is an additional 50 miles away. About the Kioti I understand it is South Korean and appears to be a good tractor.

    About China, I like to buy from our friends and alies such as Canada, Austrailia, Britain and to some degree Mexico, there are others too but these are the main ones. I don't have a problem with importing goods from other countries but I do have a problem with imbalanced trade. If the countries such as China wan't to sell us only finished goods in mass and buy a very minimal amount of finished goods from North America then that is not a good deal. I should also say I am not fond of unions either and am not interested in supporting them in most cases. I support the right to work states and would like to see an increase in productivity here in North Americal.

    Some people refer to this as a global economy, I refer to this as a train wreck. I look around me and have a hard time finding any durable goods made on our continent, so with such a decline in manufacturing here it sends shivers up my spine when I think about any possibilities of war. When we loose all of our machine tools we are doomed here in the US and Canada is doomed as well. At 60 years old I may squeak thru this if I don't live too long but I am very concerned about the younger people and their future.
    Did you somehow read my mind? Wouldn't change as much as a word of what you said. Right on

  9. #29
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    988
    Location
    Southeast Minnesota
    Tractor
    JD 4720, JD X748SE, JD 997, Farmall "B"

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by jenkinsph View Post


    Some people refer to this as a global economy, I refer to this as a train wreck.
    I agree too, but the genie has been let out of the bottle. The world has changed. It's not going to change back.

  10. #30
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,546
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

    Quote Originally Posted by arlen4720 View Post
    I agree too, but the genie has been let out of the bottle. The world has changed. It's not going to change back.

    I could care less about changing the world, I do care how we deal with the rest of the world here in the US. Everyone I know want's to maintain their standard of living I don't see how we as a nation can do this without increasing our productivity at home.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which tractor and hp range?
    By JMER in forum Owning/Operating
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-28-2012, 04:48 AM
  2. New Tractor Models
    By jcollins in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 06:06 PM
  3. New Tractor Models
    By PhilNH5 in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-19-2005, 10:55 AM
  4. best tractor 30 hp range #2
    By tomfifield in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 05:17 PM
  5. Best tractor in the 30 hp range
    By tomfifield in forum Buying/Pricing/Comparisons
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.