Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #1  

smarley

Tractor
None yet
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and to tractors. My wife and I are buying a small 2+ acre horse property that is already outfitted with house, barn, arena, paddocks and a grass turnout.

I really don't need a tractor (Gator is in the works as well) except for daily paddock/arena dragging chores. From all that the forum members have said, arena dragging/ripping is not work to be performed by a Gator and that I need a small tractor as well (arena drag is ~500 lbs).

In trying to keep costs down, I am considering a used tractor. I want to keep the size relatively small and from what I understand, a ~35hp machine should work for what I want to do.

I just have a few questions to help in my search:

Can anyone tell me the used JD models that would fit in this category?
Would I need 4WD or is 2WD sufficient (lots of sand and some clay here in Albuquerque and the land is flat).
What sort of hours used should I be looking for? Is over 500 hours too much?

Thanks for your help and insight, :)

Steffan Marley

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #2  
If dragging is all you are doing then I don't think you need 4x4, and probably don't need 35-40hp. I feel however that once you have a tractor you are going to find lots more uses for it and may regret not getting 4x4. That is one thing that I wish I had. That said though, I have a 1070 which is 39hp (35 pto hp). It was made until 1996 so if you are looking for something newer, then I think the 4005 is pretty comparable. I like the 1070.

There are about a million threads as to how many hours is too much, all anyone can tell you is that it depends on maintenance. Mine had 2400 when I bought it and I doubt it was maintained very well, and I am confident that I will be able to double that before needing any major work.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?
Thanks Mike,

I do think that the 35-40 hp level might be a bit high (and overkill). Perhaps a 30 hp model 790 with 4WD? They look to be available at a reasonable (~$10k) price.

Steffan

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #4  
I'd consider 500 hour barely broken in.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #5  
I would talk to your dealer;he may take something in trade that would work for you.Any ag type 2wd tractor would do what you need includeing a Ford 8N,9N,around here a decent one is $2500.00.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #6  
Well as I said before, after having it you will want to do more with it. I wouldn't necessarily say that 35-40hp is too much, just more than is required for arena dragging. I don't remember ever hearing someone say "this has too much power." Unless fuel usage (which would be a tiny difference anyway) is a huge issue for you, I would say go as big as you can afford and feel is small enough to get everywhere it needs to get.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #7  
smarley,

I have a Deere 820 with canopy that I would consider sellling in Ruidoso. This is 31 hp 2wd and weighs about 4000 lbs, tractor is in good shape.

Here a couple of pictures

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #8  
HP isn't the best mark to be going by, there's a big difference in machines with the same hp. My first tractor was a 33 hp JD 955 with 1800 hrs. It was very light at only about 1700# + FEL. Not a bad tractor, it just kept breaking, but that can happen with any 20 yr old tractor if it wasn't well cared for, or even if it was. The 31 hp 820 from jenkinsph above is certainly more tractor than the 955, and it's technically less hp.

I have nothing against Deere, I think you should look carefully at them, but I don't think you should look exclusively at them. Really educate yourself here on TBN first and look at ALL the dealers around you. Looking at shinny new tractors will help you understand the differences with the older ones. It might take a little more time, but it's well worth it because if you do it right, you'll do it once in the next 20 yrs. Of course if you don't get it right, you'll be like me on your 3rd tractor in as many years.

As for the size, think about more than just the arena drag, a 1026R or Kubota BX21 is probably big enough for that, but you'll find MANY more uses for it, I guaranty it.

/ Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models?
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and insights. I really appreciate the help.

Like Kiotiken suggests, I will continue to gather data and will expand my search to other manufacturers as well. I have to say that I like the JD line and while expensive, it seems like people consistenly have good results with them. They also seem to be available used at much more reasonable prices than new since so many of each model are produced each year.

I have also spoken with several tractor owners here in Albuquerque and when asked about 2WD vs 4WD, they lean toward 4WD due to the fine sand found here in the Rio Grande Valley. The prices for 2WD certainly are more attractive, but I would hate to find out that I need 4WD after the purchase.

The education continues, which is half the fun! Thanks again to all in the forum for their help and guidance. This is indeed a great group and resource!

PS - If anyone has some insights/experiences with 2WD and sand, I would love to hear about them.

Steffan

Last edited:
   / Used JD Tractor in 35-40 hp range - which models? #10  
For just an arena drag, the 820 jenkinsph mentioned is nearly perfect. I find that I am out of 4x4 about 90% of the time, but that 10% that I need it, it really saves my @$$. That said, if you can give us some more info on other planned uses for your tractor, it might help us guide you better. If you need a loader or plan to be reworking a lot of land, then you might want a 4x4, HST tranny and some other goodies. But for what you describe, I don't see any need for anything more than Steve's 820...