Buying Advice Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #1  

MichKubota

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2850 Hydrostatic/ Deere 5410 w/loader
Looking at purchasing a 1999 John Deere 5410 with 1940 hrs. It has the 541 SL loader with mfwd and syncshuttle transmission. The tires are turf style (which is what I want) and they are in very good condition.

The exhaust runs under and out the back of the tractor. I don't like that design but not sure why. Just always had exhaust going straight up out of engine and you where looking at it while driving. Guess I like to see the exhaust as another indicator of how things are running.

The clutch was just replaced by dealer. Owner said it had been working OK before replacing but he felt it had too much play.

It is a very clean machine. No dents, no welds, original paint, very few scratches, no leaks in hydraulics or engine that I could see and other then seat having cracks it looks new.

He is asking $14,500.

Always have had Kubota's and not familiar with Deere.

Questions and concerns:

1. My first and biggest concern. The tractor does not seem to have a typical parking brake. It uses parking pawl in transmission (like automobile automatic transmission park position). This is big concern for me because I am on hilly lot pulling large wagons. Even an automobile with park on trans still include traditional park brake for hills. It doesn't seem to have a method to apply rear brakes while off the tractor. Does anyone else have this type of transmission "Park" on tractor and is it a concern?

2. Is this fair price?

3. Any other concerns I should consider?

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
   / Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #2  
Ten series utilities are a pretty decent tractor. I would have no concern with an operatable park on this tractor, really the only thing with a pawl style park is to make sure you STOP before engaging park. The price does not seem out of line to me for my part of the country related to mfwd, 65 hp loader tractors. The 541 was a decent loader as well and the self level feature is pretty handy. Should be able to search the net and find similar equiped tractors for some pricing comparisons. Good luck.

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #3  
I have a 5520 with 541SL loader and it is a beast of a tractor. The difference here is that mine has a turbo. These tractors are hard to kill and seem to run forever in the midwest and have a great reputation. Don't worry about the pawl brake since it holds very well. As noted, NEVER engage unless tractor 100% stopped or just go ahead now and transfer a couple thousand $$ to your checking account for repairs. If you don't like the exhaust, replace it sice that's easy.
These are well regarded machines and I can't recall hearing of any real problems. The current models are not appreciably different from the 5510 or 5520 and the price you mention seems reasonable to me. Engine has lots of cubes and they have great lugging power. The loader is s good one and easy to hook up or un-hook. Front end is extra strong.

Last edited:
   / Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #4  
As said above, park function will not be a problem if used correctly.
Sounds like a real good price for JD, mfwd, and a JD loader.
I actually prefer the down exhaust. I plan to change my 6415 to a down exhaust, My 2030 has a down exhaust. You might find someone who wnats to trade.
I have a friend with a 5210 and the up exhaust. The exhaust makes his loader all sooty.

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #5  
I am not familiar with these transmissions, but I can see the concern about a park pawl with no parking brake. Even in a vehicle, when parked on a hill you should use the parking brake. Often it is very hard to get out of park once the weight is transferred to the park pawl, this is even if stopped completely before hand- there is always that "roll back" until the vehicle settles back on the pawl. I think this would concern me as well, but I guess I have faith that Deere would not design it this way (without standard parking brake) if they were not confident that it would not cause problems.

Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #6  
I had the first in that series, a 5400. It had the left hand reverser with this parking "brake" as you describe. I had the same concerns as you, but it never gave me any troubles but I'd allways roll the bucket into a "dig" position and put pressure into the ground just for that -what if feeling- that I had. The only trouble that I had (not related to the parking pawl) was the spring up under the dash for the clutch pedal was replaced twice. Around here, that price sounds real good.

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #7  
If I could find a shuttle shift 4x4 5410 with a loader for $14,500 I would buy it today. I've been looking for almost that exact tractor, and the closest I've found to that price was an older, smaller 5300 for $14,700 that sold before I got there.

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions
We purchased this tractor today and should get it delivered this week.

Plan to do some snow removal using back blade and wonder if the snow will interfere with the rear exhaust. Will try the down exhaust and see how I like it.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Last edited:
   / Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #9  
That's the EXACT tractor I have, I think you'll like it for sure! I know I've never had trouble with mine.

/ Help - Looking at purchase of JD 5410 and have a few questions #10  
I have a 5210 which also has the pawl parking brake. I did have one time where I parked it on a hill and I could not get it out of park. I ended up rolling the bucket, digging it in and pushing the tractor back and it removed enough pressure to get it out of park. Other than that one time it has worked fine.