Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s)

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #11  
After owning a truck with a DPF (powerstroke) I will never own a tractor with the same system. I get 20mpg until regen which happens twice per tank, then I get 8 mpg for half an hour. Glad I bought an E.

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s)
I went to the dealer today and they had a 5083e and 5085m so I got a good look at them both. The m obviously had some better features as expected but when I popped the hood it was a nightmare. When I found out the price difference between the e series and the m with the new h loader, my decision was made to stop considering the m series

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #13  
I know what EGR is, but what is SCR?

Zebra, SCR is selective catalytic reduction. Its when the diesels with SCR like brands like case, new holland etc where they shoot urea / diesel exhaust fluid in the engine or somewhere to clean out the soot instead of a EGR system.

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #14  
SCR is when they inject urea (ammonia) into a catalyst to reduce the NOX (particles of nitrogen) which are a byproduct of the combustion process in high compression engines like diesels. They still use a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) to reduce the soot which still requires the regen to clean. The advantage of SCR over EGR is the reduction of soot and therefore fewer regens. EGR also has a tendency to contaminate the oil faster due to the increase soot levels.

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #15  
MattLynch said:
After owning a truck with a DPF (powerstroke) I will never own a tractor with the same system. I get 20mpg until regen which happens twice per tank, then I get 8 mpg for half an hour. Glad I bought an E.

Regens do burn extra fuel, but in my experience with the Duramax, only burn about half gallon at a time.

What regens do though is generate large amounts of heat. So beware when parking it out in high grass.

It should be easy to tell if the fuel is pumped into the exhaust. Personally I would stay away from units that pump on the exhaust stroke into the intake chamber. This generally causes oil dilution which is not good.

Last edited:
   / Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s)
Well a deal was finally made with the dealer for a new 5083e, I should be getting it this week sometime. Unfortunately the 6200 was getting too old with too many hours so it was traded. They don't make tractors like that anymore, the old 6200 only had 66 hp but made these new 5 series feel like compact tractors, even the m series. They're only going to get worse in the next few years with tier 4 so I feel now is a good time to buy, at least this tractor can inhale fresh air and exhale exhaust.