Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s)

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #1  

tombogue09

Tractor
John Deere
Hi ,
New to the forum here and have a few questions about these new five series tractors. In the brochure I have for the 5m series, it mentions that they comply with tier 4 emission requirements. Are these tractors equipped with egr and dpf systems? It says nothing about this in the 5e series brochure. I can't find any good info on this anywhere.

Thanks

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #2  
5E series haven't been update (yet). They are soon to be compliant though. Not to say that the concept itself isn't a bad idea, but the all the money that's been poured into these and the increase in price, is definitely not beneficial to the average homeowner.

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #3  
Yes, the MY2012 5m got all the egr and dpf stuff (I just picked up a 5085M a few months ago). So far I have not noticed any negatives, rather the following positives:

1. Very quiet
2. No exhaust smoke under any circumstances. I really tried, trust me, but these tier 4 oil burners will not put out any smoke, period!
3. Great fuel economy. Have not really been able to measure actuals yet, but I'm at around 2 gallons per hour in my use so far
4. Power is great. In fact, dealer claims my 5085M did 85hp PTO on the dyno during the dealer prep, which seems almost too good to be true. My 100hp rated stump grinder will bring this tractor to its knees, but everything else I have thrown at it so far, it just shrugs it off and keeps on going

I'm just under 100 hours right now, so I might change my mind once it goes into the 1st re-burn cycle or whatever, which I hear will happen at around 500 hours.

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #4  
Yes, the MY2012 5m got all the egr and dpf stuff (I just picked up a 5085M a few months ago). So far I have not noticed any negatives, rather the following positives:

1. Very quiet
2. No exhaust smoke under any circumstances. I really tried, trust me, but these tier 4 oil burners will not put out any smoke, period!
3. Great fuel economy. Have not really been able to measure actuals yet, but I'm at around 2 gallons per hour in my use so far
4. Power is great. In fact, dealer claims my 5085M did 85hp PTO on the dyno during the dealer prep, which seems almost too good to be true. My 100hp rated stump grinder will bring this tractor to its knees, but everything else I have thrown at it so far, it just shrugs it off and keeps on going

I'm just under 100 hours right now, so I might change my mind once it goes into the 1st re-burn cycle or whatever, which I hear will happen at around 500 hours.
Interesting thread. What happens during this "re-burn" that you speak of? Do you have to put that urea "idling fluid" in it?

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #5  
Nope! The only fluid JD uses is diesel since they went with EGR instead of SCR

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s)
Thanks for the info guys, this is certainly a deal breaker for me. It scares me even more that you mention that john deere uses more exhaust recirculation rather than using urea. With the experience I had and all that I learned about this system owning a 6.7 cummins, I will never own another engine with it. When all tractors have this system then I'll delete it but until then I'll stick with tractors that don't have it.

Re-burn is the Regeneration process of the dpf, also known as "regen." When the dpf gets full, this process cleans it out by increasing the temperature of the exhaust gases. This is done either by dumping fuel into the engine during the exhaust stroke or by an injector placed after the turbo to dump fuel into the exhaust (much better way). I don't know which method Deere uses but these are what I'm familiar with. Anyway, it dramatically decreases fuel economy.

Don't even get me started on the egr lol. I will say that I would much rather buy urea than let the egr do its job.

/ Looking at new 5e and 5m tractors (emissions ?s) #9  
I'm pretty sure Deere uses an injector dumping fuel into the dfp. You can see the fuel line here (braided hose above the muffler/dpf unit:

my5085-34.jpg

And here are the 3 new indicators in the dash (D, E and F) for when this operation is taking place:

5085dash.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the pic. I'm glad they went with this system rather than dumping fuel into the engine. Cummins went that route and many are having problems with fuel contaminating the engine oil. BTW that dpf looks huge, I wonder how they got that in there when everything is cramped in there anyway