5101E vs 5105M for Snow Business related.

/ 5101E vs 5105M for Snow Business related.
I dont think you're around here either. I'd probably have to drive for 4 hrs to see a line up like that on a lot. I'm thinking Connecticut, Speaking of which, it's kinda funny how all the Canadians say go larger and all those down here say you're good with a mid sized. Really a cross section of opinion. I'm less focused on the Resi business right now as that's not my bread and butter. But, I could see where it might be a good niche and I want to try it and market it next season, if I get through this one unscathed. In Canada drives are done with 140HP machines. Down around here we think we're doing well with a 40HP. Just goes to show you where winter's at. A blizzard's a blizzard anywhere though so I'm still thinking big. How big is a TV140. Anyone have one. Now that's a driveway clearing machine. Too many moving parts for me though.

One of the issues I have, and this may be everywhere, is that folks around here think that you will provide them summer conditions in January. I have a neighbor that won't walk through snow and her husband won't either. Doesn't own a pair of boots. He will push a shovel in front of him 100 ft down the path to get into his C-Class in 2" of fluff. People are funny.

My Commercial clients expect I'm coming around every 2 or 3 inches during open hrs in a storm. 2 plus inches per hr is not that uncommon. No one closes and no one stays home ( I blame Subaru). I have 5 small commercials !/2 acre plus. 2 townhouse developments, so 90 units there, an athletics center 1.5 acre lot where every hr sees a 75% turnover in vehicles, and a few resi's. I need to be fast. I will be driving the tractor the 8 mi end to end sometimes. while other times I will leave my truck in the middle with the salt pile, and take it to the condo developments quickly just to keep access good and check on the sidewalk crew. Storms end, after hrs and final cleanup is where the tractor will be better than another truck and driver. Doing the blind alley dumpster spots and other tough places with the inverted rear blower and quickly scraping down the Athletic center lot that has tire packed snow from a million parents getting their kid to and from practice. Ayup, some of my lots are pretty undesirable.

Sorry lost some of my post:

Redneck, 10-4 on the transport. 8 Miles end to end I can drive it this year with the tractor. Salt pile and commercials are within 6 miles. Condo's another 2. I only plan to go with a bigger trailer etc after I confirm it will pay for itself. I had already planned on the extra remotes and had priced out the E like that. Need a grapple function for front loader logging and all I can get on the rear for power chute pitch angle etc on the blower.

I didn't price out the air seat. I did add the reverser modulator so you can adjust the forward to reverse motion transfer. Never used one but would seem to be a good idea so I don't snap my head off.

pclausen, how big do you think you would have to go with the truck. I'd like a no frills flatbed for salt spreader and moving implements around. Duramax won't do it though I guess.

/ 5101E vs 5105M for Snow Business related. #24  
Greenpto35,
I live in a ski resort town and move my equipment around with Ford 550s' PSD 4x4, 4.88 ls axles. Works pretty good for me so far but I am cautious about slick roads and bad drivers too. Depending on the terrain there are times I would prefer air brakes so I can park the trailers more safely but so far I have managed. My gross combined weight is about 22,000 to 25,000 lbs on average and this works out well with the F550's, they are supposedly rated for 33,000 and 34,000. I would be leary of the top end use of these ratings imo though.

I ended up signing a note for a Deere 5115M with 32/16 power rev tranny. Triple rear and mids, Full cab naturally, H310 loader, rear inverted 92" Normand blower and front Metal plessis Agrimax blade 9-15 off a agrimax frame mount.

I will weigh it when I get delivery but I have no desire at this point to purchase an appropriate trailer or tow vehicle. Just too heavy..

So I go onto the Deere site today. Find out if I had just waited a day Deere financing rate dropped. Dealer was trying to get me on the books for year end. Deal was 0 for 36 and of course I needed double that and so 72 payments for me and had a blended rate as 1/3 was not deere stuff. Now 0 for 60 payments, Which would have saved me thousands. Not feeling good about that.

/ 5101E vs 5105M for Snow Business related. #27  
that sounds like a sweet tractor, sorry to hear about the shady dealer though. How is the new unit working out?

Well, it's working out. They are doing the installs and doing a great job. They've been pretty flexible about the small things. Adding extra Hyd disconnects so I can save time unhooking the blade and wiring in a switch to turn off the backup alarm which is not factory. Waiting for me to negotiate a new control and valve body for the metal pless blade operation that is full function etc. So although I could have theoretically done better on price elsewhere this dealer is very close and seems to be working out fine.

IMG_0761.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    451.2 KB · Views: 558