Tractor Sizing Contemplating the 4105

/ Contemplating the 4105 #21  
I justify a cab on my tractors the same way I justify the cab on my trucks, I don't see any difference. A cab tractor will give you the option to work on days that might otherwise be plain miserable to be out in.

/ Contemplating the 4105
I justify a cab on my tractors the same way I justify the cab on my trucks, I don't see any difference. A cab tractor will give you the option to work on days that might otherwise be plain miserable to be out in.

Well, sure. But what is a need for one person, isn't necessarily so for the next. For me, I cannot ever imagine a situation where I will have to get out into the elements and where a cab would be a necessity. And please don't think I am being ignorant on this. I know with absolute certainty what it means to be cold or hot. The extra $5-7K simply isn't worth it to me. If my intended uses required much more seat time, I would certainly be in the market for a cab. But that just isn't a realistic expectation for me. I do sincerely appreciate the advice though.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #23  
Well, sure. But what is a need for one person, isn't necessarily so for the next. For me, I cannot ever imagine a situation where I will have to get out into the elements and where a cab would be a necessity. And please don't think I am being ignorant on this. I know with absolute certainty what it means to be cold or hot. The extra $5-7K simply isn't worth it to me. If my intended uses required much more seat time, I would certainly be in the market for a cab. But that just isn't a realistic expectation for me. I do sincerely appreciate the advice though.

No problem, its just that when you seek advice on a forum for a tractor managing 180 acres with lots of brush cutting you get replies like mine. These replies are based on experience using tractors on a regular basis and reflect what most of us have found out over time. Good luck with your selection process.

/ Contemplating the 4105
Hmmm...I am quickly beginning to feel like I am being put into the category where the guy comes on the forum seeking advice but doesn't like the advice he receives. That simply isn't the case. I certainly didn't come here to get you guys to pile on the bandwagon that a 4105 is a perfect fit, but somehow I feel like I'm having to justify my own intended tractor purposes.

I appreciate the experience, recommendations, and time put forth to help me out. But as much as I must be open-minded to listen to all the advice (and I have!), the advisors should be equally mindful that not every piece of advice fits my intended uses, desires, or budget. Yes, I have a lot of land, but there's probably a couple hundred guys on this forum who will average more seat time working their 25 or 30 acres, than me on my 240. My intent for managing my property really isn't all that complex and the only significant seat time for me is going to be mowing the 180 acres a couple of times in a ten year period, which can be done in the early spring before the green-up and dusty conditions arrive. That's why I originally thought the 4105 might be a good fit. With the exception of the guy that actually owns a 4105 and has nothing but good to say, even in light of my intended uses, everyone's experience has made me re-think that position. I am sold on the need for more horses. Plus, I'd really like a Deere because that's the closest dealer to me, even at 40 miles away, then Mahindra at 70 miles, then Kubota at 100.

Finally, considering the extraordinary amount of "what tractor do I need?" requests on this forum regarding all types of intended uses, the interesting observation is:

Kubota guys recommend orange.
Deere guys recommend green.
HST guys recommend HST.
Gear guys recommend gears.
Cab guys recommend cabs.

I really do appreciate everyone's input, and I am still open to other suggestions. Thanks.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #25  
Hmmm...I am quickly beginning to feel like I am being put into the category where the guy comes on the forum seeking advice but doesn't like the advice he receives. That simply isn't the case. I certainly didn't come here to get you guys to pile on the bandwagon that a 4105 is a perfect fit, but somehow I feel like I'm having to justify my own intended tractor purposes.

I appreciate the experience, recommendations, and time put forth to help me out. But as much as I must be open-minded to listen to all the advice (and I have!), the advisors should be equally mindful that not every piece of advice fits my intended uses, desires, or budget. Yes, I have a lot of land, but there's probably a couple hundred guys on this forum who will average more seat time working their 25 or 30 acres, than me on my 240. My intent for managing my property really isn't all that complex and the only significant seat time for me is going to be mowing the 180 acres a couple of times in a ten year period, which can be done in the early spring before the green-up and dusty conditions arrive. That's why I originally thought the 4105 might be a good fit. With the exception of the guy that actually owns a 4105 and has nothing but good to say, even in light of my intended uses, everyone's experience has made me re-think that position. I am sold on the need for more horses. Plus, I'd really like a Deere because that's the closest dealer to me, even at 40 miles away, then Mahindra at 70 miles, then Kubota at 100.

Finally, considering the extraordinary amount of "what tractor do I need?" requests on this forum regarding all types of intended uses, the interesting observation is:

Kubota guys recommend orange.
Deere guys recommend green.
HST guys recommend HST.
Gear guys recommend gears.
Cab guys recommend cabs.

I really do appreciate everyone's input, and I am still open to other suggestions. Thanks.

When it comes right down to it, you are the best to know what your needs are. We can only provide you insight on what we do, what we would buy and why. Just weigh the facts of the advice given and see if pertains to your situation; whatever fits keep and toss the rest. The key is here is everyone is just explaining that the 4105 could be a little small for that amount of property, but base on what you are stating above, it could be all you need. Also, note that a 4105 is not a 4x20 series tractor, it is really a 3x20 with less features and less engine torque. In addition, if you are not going to be on the machine that much, just doing smaller tasks, then you do not need a cab. As long as you understand all these things, then it sounds like the 4105 might be a good fit for you. Good luck with your decision!

/ Contemplating the 4105
When it comes right down to it, you are the best to know what your needs are. We can only provide you insight on what we do, what we would buy and why. Just weigh the facts of the advice given and see if pertains to your situation; whatever fits keep and toss the rest. The key is here is everyone is just explaining that the 4105 could be a little small for that amount of property, but base on what you are stating above, it could be all you need. Also, note that a 4105 is not a 4x20 series tractor, it is really a 3x20 with less features and less engine torque. In addition, if you are not going to be on the machine that much, just doing smaller tasks, then you do not need a cab. As long as you understand all these things, then it sounds like the 4105 might be a good fit for you. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks! I truly understand all that you mentioned, and definitely what the 4105 is not. And I agree that I could benefit from additional horsepower, but not sold on the cab unless I find that jewell that someone is parting with for almost nothing.

What I don't want to be is "That Guy" who comes on here and runs his mouth and doesn't listen to a word anybody says. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice!

/ Contemplating the 4105 #27  
Bottom line is buy what feels the best to you. Go drive the 4105 and then go drive some others. If you find yourself coming back to the 4105 then buy it. My only advice is to look at a number of tractors and tractor manufacturers. Try them all on for size and the right tractor will probably pick itself for you! A little 40 hp tractor can do alot of work even if it isnt the same as a 4x20 series. Good luck with your shopping!

/ Contemplating the 4105
Bottom line is buy what feels the best to you. Go drive the 4105 and then go drive some others. If you find yourself coming back to the 4105 then buy it. My only advice is to look at a number of tractors and tractor manufacturers. Try them all on for size and the right tractor will probably pick itself for you! A little 40 hp tractor can do alot of work even if it isnt the same as a 4x20 series. Good luck with your shopping!

Wise words, dbaer78. Thanks! Believe me, I am looking at all options. I'd be foolish not to. And again, I am not set on a 4105.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #29  
iirc the 4000 series econo tractors are actually stripped down 3000 series tractors? According to the wheel base and wheel track, weight , capacities etc.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #30  
iirc the 4000 series econo tractors are actually stripped down 3000 series tractors? According to the wheel base and wheel track, weight , capacities etc.

The 4105 is stripped down, however the frame is larger than the 3000 series. Same size loader though.