Tractor Sizing Contemplating the 4105

/ Contemplating the 4105 #1  

kry226

Tractor
Looking
Long time lurker here...

As stated, I am looking at the 4105 and after reading lots here, I wanted to get some feedback regarding this tractor for my specific desired uses.

I own 240 acres in the flatlands of the Texas Panhandle, with about 180 acres of that in CRP (the rest is woods) that requires mowing as part of my conservation plan. In fact, mowing will be its largest chore with a few miles of "ranch roads" to keep under control and just over a mile of road frontage. But the required mowing is also not something I will ever need to be in a hurry to finish.

I'll also use it to move the occasional brush pile, pull the occasional smallish stump, haul corn out to feeders, or haul the occasional deer back to the shed. I do not plan on heavy tillage other than maybe a food plot or smaller garden. I don't want bigger for the sake of time efficiency, but would only want bigger because the 4105 just won't keep up with my expected tasks and uses. If it takes me a few days or a dozen to cut the 180 acres, I'm OK with that.

I am particularly interested in the 4105 for the HST and lack of fru-fru, but also because I can find this tractor in packaged deals for what "seems" like pretty good prices. Take this package for example:

$27,998.00 advertised price
4105 Tractor
John Deere 300 CX Loader
Insulated Canopy
6' Box Blade (with scarifiers)
6' Rotary Cutter (with Slip Clutch & Front Shields)
Post Hole Digger (with 9" Auger)
20' Trailer (Brakes, Ramps, Ramp Racks, Diamond Plate Fenders, Tube Top Rail, Bulldog Hitch)

I know you guys get threads like this all the time, but I appreciate any feedback given. Thanks!

IMG_6308-1.jpg

/ Contemplating the 4105 #2  
With that much mowing I think I would be looking for something at least in the five series and a eight foot rotary cutter. Even with a eight foot rotary cutter you will be getting more seat time than is enjoyable. Never ran a rotary cutter in Texas, but have talked to some people that have and they advised it was a very - very hot dusty thing to do. I think you would be asking a lot of the 4105.

Last edited:
   / Contemplating the 4105 #3  
I would lookk into a new 5000E series wi the cab and larger mower. That much mowing with a small open station will become drudgery and I can't prove right off but suspect a larger tractor and mower would be more fuel efficient too.

Lots of guys get on here and think a cab is too expensive or that they "don't need that" only to come back on here at a later date to trade up. Buy it right the first time, it's cheaper. At any rate the new E series with cabs should be just what you need and a higher hp model should turn a large brush mower. I am expecting the simpler E series to be less cost than the M by a good margin.

My next door neighbor has a place in Spearman by the way.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #4  
With that much mowing I think I would be looking for something at least in the five series and a eight foot rotary cutter. Even with a eight foot rotary cutter you will be getting more seat time than is enjoyable. Never ran a rotary cutter in Texas, but have talked to come people that have and they advised it was a very - very hot dusty thing to do. I think you would be asking a lot of the 4105.

I agree 100%, anything smaller than 8' and you will be needing to start cutting the second time,before you finish the first cut. A 10' cutter would be a better choice I think,but you will need more HP than a 4105.

/ Contemplating the 4105
Thanks, gents, I appreciate it.

However, I should have been more clear with the CRP in that it only requires mowing every few years. I'll be managing for wildlife and will never arbitrarily "cut the whole thing." But also, please know that I am not trying to come here to only get my idea validated. I am not emotionally bought into the 4105. I just came across it and what seemed like a good deal on enough tractor. So keep up the suggestions! I definitely know about buy once, cry once. Been there, done that.

My actual routine mowing will be the road frontage and trails. A couple of swipes with the six footer would suffice for both. Also, I am really partial (though not adamant) to a hydro as the wife and kids may be cutting their teeth on on whatever tractor I buy too.

Thanks again!

P.S. Mr. Steve, I've never been through Spearman, it's way north of me.

Kyle

/ Contemplating the 4105 #6  
I bought mine in a package it has been real good tractor. My frontier shredder doesn't really throw dust on me.
The only trouble I have had is with neutral safety switch . The best thing I have done to it was to put vertical exhaust on it.

Attachments

• image-198365678.jpg
    image-198365678.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 304
   / Contemplating the 4105
I bought mine in a package it has been real good tractor. My frontier shredder doesn't really throw dust on me.
The only trouble I have had is with neutral safety switch . The best thing I have done to it was to put vertical exhaust on it.
Thanks, 99.

I have seen the vertical exhaust mentioned a couple times. Is this done to reduce heat or fumes for the operator? Also, do you see any HP issues with my intended uses? I think I am just about set on hydro, and if I could get a hydro on a 5E series, I think the discussion would be over.

From the advice above, I started looking at higher HP units and I really like the 4x20 series, but even a used 4320 with only a modest bump in HP from the 4105 still runs in the high $20s to low $30s. But I also found that the MX5100HST (gasp) is pretty reasonably priced used in the lower $20s, though I don't really expect any endorsement of orange here. The Mahindra 5035HST looks promising as well. I wish JD filled this gap a little better with a 50ish-HP, no frills HST tractor.

Any other thoughts? And thanks!

/ Contemplating the 4105 #8  
I put they stack on for the fumes it really does help be cause before the engine fan would blow them back at you.
As far HP for your jobs this tractor will surprise you. I shred in high range,pull up trees,carried big fallen oak
Pulled some buddy's out of mud. So far it has done every job I throw at it.

/ Contemplating the 4105
Thanks for the feedback! I really want to go with a JD as the dealer is only about 40 miles from me, and closer than any other dealer.

/ Contemplating the 4105 #10  
kry226,

I know it is more money buying into a 4320 through 4720 series but you would be getting alot more tractor too. I should mention the three range ehydro with economy pto in the 4520 and 4720 would be very useful in your locale for clipping pastures compared to the 4105. Most of the pastures are thin compared to the deep south where I used to live and required more pto hp to keep the blades turning up to speed. In your locale you could make good use of the epto at a reduced engine speed of 1740 rpm for most of your cutting. This assumes using a 6' 3pt cutter, I have a hunch the larger 8' and 10' cutters are going to be more than you want to spend.

As far as frills and fru fru goes I don't consider things such as three range ehydro, larger fel, better hydraulic options, planetary rear end, more weight, steering brakes, larger tires and a cab to be frills. While a 4520 cab is more money it is alot more tractor than the 4105, since you want a hydro machine that is what I would recommend.