Dealer Doing business with a dealer far far away...

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #1  

adegiulio

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4310
I am moving to upstate NY, where all the local dealers are owned by one family. They seemed very cool when i met them this weekend, and were very informative. Their price quote showed up on my fax yesterday, and when I sat down last night I realized the price they quoted me was quite high, especially on the attachments. I have heard great things about KC Canary, but they are about 5 hours from where I live now and about 3 hours from where we are moving and will have the tractor delivered to. Should I still consider them? If so, is it feasible to do business with them over the phone instead of driving the 10 hour round trip?

I am sure Bob will have some info for me.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I appreciate all input, as I would like to get the deal finalized by the JD deal deadline.

BTW, I am looking at a 4310, 430 FEL with 4n1, loaded r4s, 3rd scv, 5 foot rotary cutter, and a tiller. Ehydro.

Thanks!

Anthony

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #2  
KC canary offered to deliver a tractor to me and I am two states away and 4 hour drive. I looked for a particular model machine and KC beat all other dealers hands down. I've heard/read nothing short of exemplary for service too.

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #3  
<font color="blue">"...I have heard great things about KC Canary...Should I still consider them? If so, is it feasible to do business with them over the phone...I am sure Bob will have some info for me..."</font>

Hi Anthony...

YES, YES, and YES to all your questions. I believe KC-Canary has a free 150 mile delivery range for the tractors they sell. Red Hook is within that range. Do give Mark Brucker a call at 518-853-3405 or send him an e-mail at sales@kc-canary.com to let him know your needs. Work up your shopping list that delineates the tractor package you are interested in and Mark will likely give you a speedy price quote within a few days. I myself shopped at five JD dealers and KC-Canary beat out the other 4 by a significant amount on the entire 4710 tractor package that I purchased.

Several of us here in the forums have bought from KC-Canary. Besides my self, there is Jim Crowley, mopar, and LouG. You might want to chat with them as well about their experiences. I believe all of us have been quite satisfied.

...Bob

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #4  
I wouldn't worry about it. A JD is a JD is a JD. What I mean is you are going to buy the same tractor whether it is from them or another business. Get the best deal. I've never known, and they can't anyway, a dealer to turn down service work.

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away...
Thank you both. Just to be clear, I don't need to drive up there, I can take care of the whole deal over the phone??

Anthony

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #6  
Anthony,

Yes, you can do it by phone and e-mail. Call Mark first, let him know you are seriously shopping, and tell him you want his best price. Then, e-mail or fax him the shopping list you have. Work up that shopping list broken down into all the options and attachments you want. Mark can provide these delineated prices, item by item. This will help you decide if you are getting a good deal on these options and attachments and if for some reason the price quote exceeds your budget, you can then decide which attachment or 2 you can forego until a later time.

...Bob

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away...
Thanks Bob..I am going to call him in a few minutes...I'll post follow-ups for anyone interested...

Anthony

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #8  
Anthony...

I should add to what I said in the previous posts that if you do indeed place an order for a tractor with KC-Canary you might want to think of visiting the dealership when the tractor is ready for delivery. Prior to this, getting price quotes and working up a purchase order can be done by phone, e-mail, USPS first class mail, and fax.

When you're ready to accept delivery and complete the purchase transaction, it might be wise to visit the dealership (maybe in combination with one of your trips up to Red Hook). That way you can inspect the tractor and attachments. Mark and the service crew (Jerry Stewart or Jason) will start the tractor up for you and they'll run through a few operational things. You also get to meet the service crew who may be doing normal maintenance items on your tractor from time to time. You can work out a delivery time and place. It's also just a real nice dealership to visit....real big and just lots of machinery to see, touch, and ask about. It's always a learning experience every time I've visited KC-Canary.

...Bob

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #9  
<font color="blue"> Just to be clear, I don't need to drive up there, I can take care of the whole deal over the phone?? </font>

While I can't speak to buying a new Deere from Mark at Canary, I have bought an attachment from him with no problems whatsoever. What I can speak to is buying something 'over the phone, sight unseen.'

That's exactly how I bought my Deere. What's more, mine was USED! I think everyone would agree that buying used would be tougher than buying new. I completed the deal with no problems.

I regularly buy used trucks (for more money than a new tractor and implements) over the telephone without ever seeing them. Sometimes I get a couple pictures, others not. I've even bought one sight unseen and turned around and sold it without ever having taken physical possession. The only thing I ever had in my state was the paperwork. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In today's world of faxes, email and overnight delivery I can't begin to envision any reason you'd actually have to leave your place to complete this transaction. The dealer has done this before. Trust them to handle everything properly. If you have any questions, ask them. Mark is very helpful. You'll like dealing with him, I'm sure.

I'm sure a lot of what you're experiencing right now is just anxiety. I think you'll be fine...especially on a new machine.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Doing business with a dealer far far away... #10  
Anthony,
I echo everything RANCAR says about Mark, Jerry, Jason, and the entire KC Canary experience... they are a top notch organization that will take great care of you in price and service. I have had my 4310 for just over 1 year now and in every dealing I've had with them they always exceeded my expectations. I really can't remember a buying/owning experience that has been more pleasant.
As Bob said everything can be handled from a distance but you really have to visit to appreciate the organization.
Say Hi to Mark for me and let us know how you make out! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif