Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding !

/ Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding ! #11  
Re: Reality check - 4310 you\'ve got to be kidding !

Chris,

I strongly feel that you should get the 4310 (assuming you can afford it).

Why? Because, in the end, buying a tractor is as much about wants as needs; as much about the psychology of the owner as the physics of the tractor; as much about aesthetics as about function; as much about subjectivity as objectivity. If you don't get the 4310, you will always be wondering whether you should have gotten a bigger tractor, and always be fantasizing about upgrading. If you get the 4310, I doubt you will ever wish you had the 4210.

I have 11 acres. I first started shopping for a lawn tractor for my two acres of finished lawn. I was shocked at the $3K to $5K price tags. Then I saw a BX and went of on a subjective-objective psychological journey of learning all about tractors and memorizing every post on this board.

I bought the BX2200. After two weeks of use, I had a practical revelation of how a FEL and other implements could literally terraform the 9 acres of jungle I hadnt been thinking of. I also realized the BX was too small. I traded it in after 35 hours for a B2910 with a 72" belly mower and a 60" medium duty cutter. I terraformed another 5 acres. But I really could have used a bigger tractor--and then I also wanted a backhoe.

I am now in the process of shopping for an even larger tractor--probably a Kubota 3430--so I can use bigger mowers and attach a strong backhoe to do even more jobs.

I have spend untold hundreds of hours researching bigger tractors over this three-step upgrading period. Visiting many dealers. Trying many tractors and tractor brands. It has been a huge education, but a psychological and financial stress. All because--as a lifetime city and suburbs guy--I was incapable of of realizing at the outset the potential uses for a tractor and the size needs. In a sense, however, I am happy to be shopping for a larger compact now because the Kubota L30 series and the JD 10 series are so much better than what was available 3 and 4 years ago. (I am less familiar with New Holland.)

The JD 43/4410 is the tractor I would buy today if I had a good Deere dealer near me and if I were not otherwise a Kubota partisan. It has good power, great features and topnotch backhoe options. Yet it is not so large as to be the big honkers that the large frame JD and Kubotas are.

Can you clear and maintain your acreage with a 4210. Absolutely. But will you always, always be thinking about that 4310 you passed up. I believe you will.

/ Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding !

Chris,
glennmac really nails the issue, finding uses that you didn't think about when you originally bought the tractor is a huge factor in size choice.
I too started looking at a lawn/garden tractor and moved up in an incremental fashion until I hit the 4310.
Originally I wanted to replace a 25 year old Craftsman riding lawnmower. But the cost of a lawn/garden tractor that could be used in the semi rough area on my property quickly got expensive. Then the additional functionality on a CUT and the available tools became really attractive... price went up, but so did the usefulness of the tool on my property.
Glennmac has shared his journey and I think the wisdom of getting the one that you won't regret a year or two down the road.
Good luck and keep us posted. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shari
4310 MFWD eHydro, 430 FEL, 47 BH, LX5 cutter, 550 tiller, iMatch

Thanks again for the encouragement - I'm out the door to a meeting in Orlando until late tomorrow...I hope to talk with the dealer from the road to work out the deal...I'll just have to keep ya'll in suspense until Friday PM... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CAL

/ Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding ! #14  

The only frame of reference any first time tractor buyer has are;

(1) What tasks they did by hand, i.e., rake, shovel and wheelbarrow.
(2) What they could do with a garden tractor.

So, when we sit down to ponder what we might like to do with a CUT, so we can properly size the tractor, our imaginations are limited. It's a similar problem when people choose their first computer. We are limited by our experience. Kind of like navigating by your wake.

Hence, the time honored recommendation to buy the biggest tractor your pocketbook can handle. Most people will find ways to use it they could not even imagine before the purchase. Are there people who've purchased too much tractor? Yep, but they're the exception to the rule.

OK - its a 4310 ehydro for 14900...I thought that was a pretty good price from everything I've been seeing, and decided to take the overwhelming advise on this forum and go with the FEL (420) for 2800 w/ bucket hooks. I could still upgrade to the 430 for $500.00. I also got the LX5 rotary cutter. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks to everyone - we're looking at delivery sometime before July 4th...so hopefully I'll be able to post pics late next week. Any last minute configuration suggestions ?

CAL

/ Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding ! #16  

Chris:

Way to go!!!...sounds like a good deal to me and hydro to boot. I bet your going to be grinning from ear to ear when that thing shows up in front of your house "look out grass here I come".

What about finnish mowing, I seem to remember you saying most of the mowing was yard and not pasture.

Here maybe this pic will help give you a visual of arival time this is when the big grin starts.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whiskey

Attachments

• 286031-DSC00001A.jpg
    286031-DSC00001A.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 124
   / Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding ! #17  

Actually, any tractor is a pretty large investment, and I would hate to spend that much money and be saying (in 2 years or 2 months) "I wish I would have spent another __ and gotten the bigger tractor..."

<font color="blue"> </font>

<font color="black"> </font> ..... take it from me, I bought
a 4100 HST two years ago and wish I had bought a 4200
or maybe a 4300. I have 2.1 acres, mostly pasture and
it takes me awhile to mow and the difference in comfort
of the platform on a 41XX and the larger 42XX on up,
is night and day ! Now I am saying to myself, "Man, I wish
I had bought the larger tractor as I could do this and that
and be way more comfortable !" I have a deal with my
CFO, that next year I can look at buying either a 4210 or
a 4310 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Take the advice of some of the old salts
on this site, find what tractor you need and buy one size
larger ! Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif BTW, the 4100 has been a great
machine for me

Cal123,
Congratulations on your purchase. Sounds like a really good price to me.
Of course this puts you in the 4310 Club /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif You will get your dues notice as soon as you post your picture! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Personally I would go with the 430 FEL, just because of the extra capacity is great to have in reserve. I too got the LX5 rotary cutter, it works great on our pasture type lawn.
I also went with the iMatch quick connect system since I got a tiller too.
You will be amazed at how much work you can get done... of course I didn't want to mow my grass for a couple of weeks before I got the tractor--just knowing it was coming made the grass grow faster /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Keep us posted and be sure and show us a picture of the new delivery.
Again congrats on your decision, must be good--same one I made /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shari
4310 MFWD eHydro, 430 FEL, 47 BH, LX5 Cutter, 550 Tiller, iMatch

house won't be ready until mid-september...so no place for the finish mower until then...got a firm price on a rear finish mower as part of the deal, but I won't buy until Sept. Now however I have a LOT of work to do with the rotary (and also with the FEL /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Can't wait to post the pic !

/ Reality check - 4310 you've got to be kidding ! #20  

Congratulations... you made the right choice. Your gonna love that thing!
I would however suggest going with the 430 loader! Higher lift capacity, greater lift height, and the ability to install a JD 4in1 bucket if you choose to do so down the line!
Your going to own a really great tractor... no matter which loader you choose! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif