Is John Deere at the numbers game again ?

/ Is John Deere at the numbers game again ? #11  
Look at the combines they went from the 4 numbered combines 9760STS. now they went to the S670,S690 etc. and why did they do that? They said they ran out of numbers. Now look at the 8r series. From the 8120, 8320, 8330. They now went to 8235R, 8285R, 8360R.etc. only deere machines I liked was the backhoes 110,210,310,410,710, dozers 450,550,650,750, and loaders 244,344,444,544,644,744,844

/ Is John Deere at the numbers game again ? #12  
They may be preparing for the 2013 tier IV compliance that will effect all non-highway diesel engines above 25hp. I think you'll see more tractors rated below 25hp. And a significant price increase on machines over 25hp that will most likely have EGR and or DPF.
Toro has an article about fleet purchasers pre buying 2012 machines before the price increase come January.

/ Is John Deere at the numbers game again ? #13  
most all of these changes are related to the article posted earlier in the thread it is a converging to what is being called a worldwide numbering system and will be a ref of gross hp, chassis, and feature level as discussed there. Way to many transmission choices in the row crop world to have that be a part of the model as many of the tractors can have up to 6 transmission options. As far as the issue of utilizing only gross hp as an advertised figure that really came from other mfg's that went that route doing their best to try to distinguish their machines at least in print as the better unit. It worked very well, in fact so good that ghp is now the norm for advertised hp figures and it is probably here to stay. Like any other purchase do the research and get the unit that is powered appropriatly for your needs. In the long run I believe these model #'s will make it easier to understand what units are what to an extent by just reading the model # but there will be like any change some growing pains.

/ Is John Deere at the numbers game again ? #14  
They may be preparing for the 2013 tier IV compliance that will effect all non-highway diesel engines above 25hp. I think you'll see more tractors rated below 25hp. And a significant price increase on machines over 25hp that will most likely have EGR and or DPF.
Toro has an article about fleet purchasers pre buying 2012 machines before the price increase come January.

This is exactly the answer. Dealer told me that John Deere is "de-rating" the engine to meet emissions compliance. Will likely still make 26HP, just be advertised as 25 HP.

The entire EPA mandate bull hockey based on global warming fuzzy math fries my rear end, but we are stuck with it.

/ Is John Deere at the numbers game again ? #15  
The entire EPA mandate bull hockey based on global warming fuzzy math fries my rear end, but we are stuck with it.

If California where most of these BAD idea come from would have a major earth quake and fall into the ocean, we could go back to the real way to make equipment. Keeping a model for many years. Not changing them to meet the EPA's requirements.

/ Is John Deere at the numbers game again ?
Sounds a bit like we are revisiting the muscle car area of the 60-70s. Under rating horse power is nothing new and I don't think it fooled the insurance companies one bit. Today we try and please the EPA and they tighten the draw string at regular intervals.