5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #1  
Tractor
1941 John Deere B electric start
I have an older Deere RW disc I am going restore over the winter. it will have 36 new 18" blades on it when its done. I am looking for a 2wd utility tractor mainly for raking hay and pulling a hay wagon after I disc and plant hay. I am not as much concerned about weight since they should be within around 500lbs of each other with loaded tires and full front weights. I like the short and nimble wheelbase of the 5D and the price, would 55HP be enough to pull my disc? I looked at one at the dealer and it "looked" big enough, had decent sized rear tires on it.

I don't really want a 4wd 5E since I'm dead set on a 5M if my hay operation takes off.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #2  
I recommend going with the "E" for many reasons. I have been the route of 2WD versus 4WD and if it comes to any form of ground engaging work, soft soil conditions or hills you won't regret it. You may even consider a loader to help with moving the hay and the many other tasks you will find it helps with.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #3  
I'd go with the 5065E, even in the 2wd version. The 5055D is actually a slightly lighter built tractor than the E series, especially in the transmission and rear end. You also get a park position and hydraulic brakes with the E along with a few other features. I think the 2wd 5065E would pull a 10' disc no problem, if not start adding wheel weights till it does. For field work, and especially hay work, I greatly prefer a basic 2wd tractor, no loader. They just handle better in the field, turn better and have less upkeep. If you are going to add a loader, by all means get 4wd, otherwise I think 2wd will be fine.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc
I recommend going with the "E" for many reasons. I have been the route of 2WD versus 4WD and if it comes to any form of ground engaging work, soft soil conditions or hills you won't regret it. You may even consider a loader to help with moving the hay and the many other tasks you will find it helps with.

the 5065E would be 2wd as well, I was comparing the 2wd models. I am not a fan of 4wd utility tractors, with loaded tires it should be fine. not planning on putting a loader on it.

I have a New Holland T2310 and even with 4wd it's useless, doesn't weigh anything, I'd like a slightly bigger/heavier 2wd machine.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #5  
carterbeauford said:
the 5065E would be 2wd as well, I was comparing the 2wd models. I am not a fan of 4wd utility tractors, with loaded tires it should be fine. not planning on putting a loader on it.

I have a New Holland T2310 and even with 4wd it's useless, doesn't weigh anything, I'd like a slightly bigger/heavier 2wd machine.

I can agree with that and also Verticaltrx's comments. I recently had the opportunity to operate a JD5205 2WD and was reminded how much more nimble this unit is compared to my 4WD JD 5303. With that being said, in my situation, if I had to pick one for my basic all purpose tractor there would be no hesitation in picking the 4WD unit. Both units have loaders, but the amount of work possible with the 4WD unit is not even comparable.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #6  
My 2wd 5403 has problems pulling a 10' disk, and it has more horses than the 5065e. My 4wd 5403 does a better job, but normally use the NH 7610s which is almost 90 hp. My two cents, you won't be overly enthused by your suggested combo. I only own one 4wd tractor, but I love it. Another is soon to follow.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using TractorByNet

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #7  
My 2wd 5403 has problems pulling a 10' disk, and it has more horses than the 5065e. My 4wd 5403 does a better job, but normally use the NH 7610s which is almost 90 hp. My two cents, you won't be overly enthused by your suggested combo. I only own one 4wd tractor, but I love it. Another is soon to follow.

What kind of disc are you using? Between the different types/weights/configurations of discs and soil conditions there can be a lot of variables. We pulled a 13' tandem disc with a 2wd 2550 Deere (65 PTO hp) and it did pretty well with it 90% of the time. It was heavily ballasted though (weighed about 10K) and honestly in the row crop configuration it probably specs out closer to the older 6000 series tractors vs the 5000 series. It would pull it with the wheels completely up and set at a fairly aggressive setting most of the time, even the first pass over after moldboard plowing. Where we'd get into trouble was excessively sandy spots or wet spots. You better be ready to lift the disc quick or you'd bury the whole rig in short order.

If I were buying a disc new to use with my 2wd 5203 I'd look for a nice heavy 6-7' 3pt hitch model, or a 8' pull-type. I still think a 10 footer would be workable as long as it wasn't too heavy and the soil too sandy.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc
My two cents, you won't be overly enthused by your suggested combo. I only own one 4wd tractor, but I love it. Another is soon to follow.

thanks for the advice, this is what I was wondering. the disc isn't real aggressive, it's a fixed angle Deere RW with 16" blades on it now, I can actually pull it with my 27HP B in 3rd gear if the soil is dry. 18" blades will stop it dead. I am also considering one of these after watching two of them sell for $3k on eBay

1957_John_Deere_720_Diesel_Pony_Tractor.jpg

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #9  
My disk is a 10' Taylor Way, very heavy. Yes, obviously the weight of the disk and soil type and soil moisture are all contributing factors. My opinion for the 10' disk is more hp if 2wd or 4wd 5065e. Trying to be helpful.

/ 5055D vs 5065E with 10ft disc #10  
Kessler Farms said:
My disk is a 10' Taylor Way, very heavy. Yes, obviously the weight of the disk and soil type and soil moisture are all contributing factors. My opinion for the 10' disk is more hp if 2wd or 4wd 5065e. Trying to be helpful.

Solid suggestions in my experience. My heavy 8' 3pt disc will spin my 5303 in 2wd when buried up to or at times above the axles with 20"blades. Stop and select 4wd and it is a different story. Seems our old Ford 4000 2wd does as good or better when pulling a disc when comparing newer similar hp 2wd tractors.