Price Check 1998 john deer gator 6x4

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #1  

Eagles eye

Tractor
Massey 35
I am looking at. Gator that is 1998 with 1650 hours. It's a 6x4 with a enclosed cab, dump bed and Diesel engine. Is in very good condition..not beat up.
Any idea what it's worth?.?

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #2  
Probably worth around $3500, maybe more because it has the diesel and Cab.

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4
MIKE R said:
Probably worth around $3500, maybe more because it has the diesel and Cab.

Thanks, he wants 3,750 but I am going to offer $3,300

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #4  
Eagles eye said:
Thanks, he wants 3,750 but I am going to offer $3,300

Good luck. Hope you get a good deal.

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #5  
If you really wanted that old style unit I would ask a dealer about trading one in and ask what they would allow off the cash price of a new one. That will give you a basis of value your not familiar with.... actual working capital value. I have seen a number of this six wheel type for sale for less than two thousand in good looking condition. There is a blue book for tractors, utvs, atvs, ect that gives retail, trade, and condition prices. Before I would go jumping in with an offer I would want to know the true value guides.... not just someones thoughts. Might want to check any related engine problems associated with this size displacement as it is getting on in age ( 16 model years ). Good luck.

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #6  
Most well equipped 6x4 Diesel Gators with lights, horn, electric dump bed, windshield, etc with low hours are in the 6-7 thousand dollar range. If the owner will sell this one for 33-35 hundred although with high hours it will probably be a good purchase. Be advised the diesel engine is rather pricey to work on or have repairs made.

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4
Thanks for the input. Although all over the place. I did speak with a dealer today and he placed trade at 3500-4000. Maybe leaning at looking for an ezgo or similar as it will ne primarily for working around the farm hauling tools, little dirt or traveling out to check on cattle. Don't need anything fancy .
Thanks again

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #8  
I would also look at a Toro Workman (aka Workman MD, Toro Twister, Workman 1100, Workman 2000, Workman 1100 or Workman 2100). Similar to a gator 4x2, but wider, have more power (16HP twin cyl Briggs on ours) poly bed (no rusting out) and more articulation (there is a swivel joint behind the seats).
We have one and it works very well. We have less than half the cost of a Gator into our 2001 Workman 2100.

Aaron Z

/ 1998 john deer gator 6x4 #9  
Thanks for the input. Although all over the place. I did speak with a dealer today and he placed trade at 3500-4000. Maybe leaning at looking for an ezgo or similar as it will ne primarily for working around the farm hauling tools, little dirt or traveling out to check on cattle. Don't need anything fancy .
Thanks again

If you asked the JD dealer if they were interested in buying a machine of that age / condition my guess is they would not put one thousand dollars in it if they would consider it at all. Most of the time they get the trades plus some profit in the new sale. They do not like to repair used for customers that expect it to be defect free for the first year.
Just look at the number of Harley Davidsons available used in classified ads. The main reason is new they are MSRP, used most dealers don't want them if they have to pay half what the book says they are worth. The American dream becomes a bad dream at trade in time. More chrome must be the answer.