John Deere shopping

/ John Deere shopping #1  

Agent Blue

Platinum Member
Went to the JD store Friday looking at the new and slightly used compacts. The new 3320 looks stunning. They wanted within a couple hundred of MSRP for loader and tractor. A used one was a couple thousand less but I did not get the build date so it may be close to being out of warranty. At any rate it is no longer new and I think they usually depreciate a bit more. Also in the line up was a 35 hp with the older style square beam loader ( unit was a 2000 manufacture ) looked well used for 16k. I like the size but do not wish to go back 14 model years for a few grand less.
The interesting part was I asked about trading a 4110 with 60" MMM, approx 250 hours. Salesman had to confer with the boss on trading.. got a phone call the next day stating they were not interested in the trade. I also have a fabricated loader which was a keep or trade option. They said if ir was not brand name the liability would be too great. I can understand the liability part but one would think a low hour diesel " Green " lawn cutter would be worth a couple grand in trade. Apparently they think a 2004 unit would be too old or not large enough to generate any buying interest. They sure don't give them away new. I did see their lot was filled with 1026s with a couple new 2520s in the group.
Interestly I found the same attitude at the HD dealership. Full retail price on the new and you have a trade ????? Better to sell it yourself. Apparently they don't want late model trades as the prices they quote embarasses the customer and the dealership.
The upside was the city had a great restaurant and the sporting goods store was well stocked.

/ John Deere shopping #2  
Keep looking! If they do not want your trade, they do not want your business.

/ John Deere shopping #3  
I think it depends on the dealer and location. Most JD dealers in my area discount 10% to 16% that I have seen. A trade-in is quite common around me and I have never heard of a dealer not taking one that could still be sold. I traded in my 1998 NH 1725 for a 3520 earlier this year and got $5,600 for the trade. That was right in the range I was looking for so I was happy. I believe they ended up selling it for $7,000 a few months later. I then traded in my 3520 for a 3720 cab with no issues. I got a great price on the 3720 and a fair price on the trade.

/ John Deere shopping
I don't think it is that unusual. The NH dealer less than ten miles from me would not take my 2002 NH TC 45 with less than four hundred hours with a loader and three remotes in trade on a 2008 TC 55 similar equipped. They offered to consign it for a commision. A dealer forty five miles away drove over to look at it and gave me exactly what I wanted. He had the best outright price also. Needless to say I will drive for parts and related items I need for this unit.
The JD dealer I bought from is fourty nine miles away. The one I visited friday is 125. The reason I stopped friday is they have nine locations and felt they would have the best selection of new, demo, or slightly used in stock. They have stock but it appears they prefer financing or cash over trades.

/ John Deere shopping #5  
Go to tractorhouse.com and check out prices on your used unit as well as prices on 3x20's. It will give you a feel for market. also check out E-bay and Craigslist.

Sounds like this dealer is dependent on dumb buyers-typical yuppies with more money than brains. If your used unit is clean, it should be very marketable. IMO, only issue you face is people with cash are few and far between. Easier for them to get dealer financing o a new one, than a loan from a bank for a used one.

/ John Deere shopping
Sounds like this dealer is dependent on dumb buyers-typical yuppies with more money than brains. If your used unit is clean, it should be very marketable. IMO, only issue you face is people with cash are few and far between. Easier for them to get dealer financing o a new one, than a loan from a bank for a used one.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the truth. They will pay full price at the dealer,pay the dealer for financing, and feel good about the purchase ......... like some kind of safety net. Had I purchased the 2000 unit, what would they stand behind besides the open door of the delivery truck as it was leaving ? Surprising of the attitude.. If they can get the payment under $ ..... .. I will buy it . Well someone has to help keep the doors open and lights on. Maybe a tiny profit also.

/ John Deere shopping #7  
Hey Agent Blue,

Your post most likely points to the reason he didn't want your 4110, he has a lot of new 1 series and wants to move them at a higher rate or profit than he will make on a trade and he doesn't have to risk repairing a used tractor for even 30 days.

So....what do you want for that 4110???? :) Your in NH? Hydro or collar shift?

Tom

/ John Deere shopping
I don't think it is a matter of stealing a trade. Within the state they have nine dealerships so a dozen or more sub compacts will not hurt their floor plan. Being green they wait for buyers to come in and lay down in front of the desk only asking for a pen to sign the contract. A reason why I went blue for the larger tractor. I may try Orange for the 40 hp model and keep the 4110. Then I will have a selection of colors to choose from. They are both made in Japan so there is little difference. Dealer service is probably more of an issue.

/ John Deere shopping #9  
They gave me 6k for my 1995 670, traded it for the 3320. You only go around once.
old
IMG_4467.jpg

new
photo-140.jpg

/ John Deere shopping
Cartod;
Nice looking unit. The blade attached to the 650 looks so far away from the tractor you may need clearance lights between them. ( I did see the remedy though ) I have a TC 55DA NH for the heavy work. I am just looking for a couple more hp to pull the 370JD flail I recently purchased. Its a pain removing and attaching the backhoe for a one day task and usually I can use the hoe soon for another project. Also the 410 has a 60" mmm. I would like to upgrade to a 72" which would take a bit more power. Also its a bit small to handle the 12' dump trailer fully loaded. 36-40 hp will make a nice secondary machine.