790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions)

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #1  

zuiko

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 990 4WD
I would really like to consider the 790 (maybe even the 990)but I'm not sure about the gear drive. As I understand it you have to stop to change gears. You guys who don't have hydro, do you regret it?

The 4xxx series is a huge step up in price from the 790 and I could sure use the HP. I'm thinking maybe I should forget hydro but I am worried that I may regret it.

I got 10 acres, about 2.5 lawn, 2 wooded, 1.5 brush, and 4 alfalfa. Don't plan on getting into haying equipment, but I may have to mow that field some time.

I would be getting a loader, mower (MM probably), brush cutter, and post hole digger initially. Possibly some other stuff later.

One question I had on the 790 is why can't you use the MMM with the R4 tires? According to the JD site it doesn't work.

Thanks!

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions)
Also, the 990 is listed with partial shift on the go capability. What does that mean?

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #3  
Z, I've got a 790 and have no trouble what so ever with the gears. Yes, you need to be stopped to change gears, particularly when changing directions (but you'll stop in that process anyway). After a while you learn which forward gear is optimal for your task and select it somewhat naturally. I'll not fan the HST/Gear flames here, only let you know that you can be productive on a gear tractor (and smile doing it) /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #4  
For use in tight spaces, repeated direction changes, and trimming. the ehydro is very desirable but you pay alot more for it. From what you say the intended use for the tractor would be; the 790 would be just fine. The 990 does not have a mid pto and cannot use a mmm. That leaves you with the 790. The ehydro is also very good for creeper drive uses such as pto tilling, as well as loader work. The load match feature modulate the hydrostatic drive to maintain engine rpm. The short answer is if you want a great basic tractor with few bells and whistles and the feature you specified, the 790 is a great choice. The 990 is as well but you will have to use a rear finish mower. I would suggest getting the 4WD with either.

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #5  
I replaced a nearly brand new hydrostat (different brand) with the manual 790. My reason to switch had nothing to do with transmissions. I too felt I would regret not having a hydro, but most of the time it's a non issue. Are you locked in to a MMM. I switched from 5 foot MMM to 5 ft RFM and it was a toss up. The MMM was easier to get close to the sides of the things, but the RFM is nice to back under trees and up to the edge of slopes etc; plus the money you save would go a long way towards that loader your wanting.

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #6  
I've a Deere 670 which is the same chassis (sheet metal, 8 spd. transmission) but a smaller engine.

There's not many times you really need to shift to a higher gear...most of it is forward and reverse. Once you select which forward gear (and range: high or Low), you put it in that gear. It's not like you have to shift up as you do with an automotive transmission. If 3 Low is the gear you need, you start off in 3 Low.
Big thing you want is a dual stage clutch so the PTO doesn't stop when you depress the clutch. I'm pretty sure that's standard on the 790 though.

If you're doing a lot of loader work...well, the hydro would be faster then. I don't have a problem, but other then snow removal or hauling/lifting, I don't have a lot of loader work to do.

As far as the Mid Mower and R4's...the mower hits the R4 tires. Another option might be bar turfs which have a more aggressive tread than standard turfs. I've got a rear mower and mow right along side the house and trees. You have to be aware of where it is (especially when you turn) and you might have a bit more trimming to do afterward (I do, but can't see getting any closer to trees with the mid mower in my case).

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #7  
I do not know if this will help or hinder but here goes.

I looked for a used hydro 4300 for over a year and all I could find were commercial units that were well worn. There were plenty of gear transmissions out there in good condition and I was close to dumping the hydro idea.

I then went to a couple of auctions that had 4300 hydro units in good condition. They both brought more than any of the gear units by more than the difference in the cost of the hydro. The prices were only three thousand less than a new unit with a two year warrantee. A no brainer for me and I put my order in for a new unit.

When you go to sell your tractor you will find it easier to sell the hydro and also recoup the money for the hydro.

I would not buy a tractor without the hydro. It just makes my work easier and the job gets done better and faster for me.

/ 790 (Gear vs Hydro, other questions) #8  
I ordered my JD4310 with a geared, (sync shift) transmission and have no regrets. Hydros rob a couple of HP and cost a couple of thousand more to buy. There are many hydro owners who will be able to tell you why they like them better than me. I believe the 790 is collar shift which means clutchuing and coming to a complete stop when shifting. I think the 790 engine is the same one that comes in a 4310. They are quite a bit lighter which may hurt if you have to push snow or maybe work steep terrain. The 790 is all Yanmar and has great power for it's size and weight. You can do everything you listed in your post with a 790 but it won't be as convenient to operate as a hydro. Have you had a chance to drive tractors with both types of transmissions? Maybe that will help you decide which is best for you. Sorry I don't know about the R4s and mmm. Good luck. I'll be curious to see what you end up with. Please keep us posted on your purchasing progress.