Buying Advice 2013 5065e or 5075e

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #11  
As far as I know the power reverser trans is only available on the cab models. The 5045e-5075e open station are just like the previous ones, but tier 4. Based on what the dealer told me, all they have done to make those particular models tier 4 is fiddle with the timing and fuel delivery, and bump the price up (they are also harder to start when cold). I was looking at 2013 5045d's and decided to go used instead. It's amazing how much easier my 5203 starts vs my fathers 5045e (2011 model, tier 3).

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e
Verticaltrx said:
As far as I know the power reverser trans is only available on the cab models. The 5045e-5075e open station are just like the previous ones, but tier 4. Based on what the dealer told me, all they have done to make those particular models tier 4 is fiddle with the timing and fuel delivery, and bump the price up (they are also harder to start when cold). I was looking at 2013 5045d's and decided to go used instead. It's amazing how much easier my 5203 starts vs my fathers 5045e (2011 model, tier 3).

The power reverser will be available on the open cab models as well as my dealer was able to build the quote, just won't be shipping until around April. The other option I have is a 2007 5425 power reverser with 100 hours for 30,500. I am just A little worried that it has been sitting for to long with out any use..

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #14  
Good to know the new 5000E's will have the power reverser option.

Btw, I know the fuel delivery is the main difference between the different HP, but does anyone know exactly how to adjust it?

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #15  
Btw, I know the fuel delivery is the main difference between the different HP, but does anyone know exactly how to adjust it?

Although BuickandDeere makes it sound easy, from what I've read on here about the 4x20 series is that it's virtually impossible to economically boost the power to more hp.

There is a lot more to it than turning a set screw. If you need/want more power, spend the money up front and be done with it. Not to mention, you'd be voiding the warranty on your brand new tractor, plus, who's to say you wouldn't mess anything up in the attempt to upgrade the power, then it ends up costing you more than if you just bought the tractor you should have bought in the first place. :thumbsup:

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e
Well... I told the dealer to get a 2012 5075e setup for me with 553 gel and the mx8 cutter... While it would have been nice to be able to get the 5045e.. I found no detailed info on what is involved to make a 45 in to a 75, while I do understand that some of it involves fuel flow, I would be surprise if that is the only change. Seems like there would need to be some turbo tuning, and some timing changes.

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #17  
Good choice! Yeah, I'm quite certain that there is a *lot* more to it than just turning some "set" screw...

Now, if they came out with something list "LS1 Edit" like they have for the Chevy small blocks, where you can edit the fuel delivery curve, timing, etc, then we might be talking! Or something like the Predator for the Chevy Duramax engines where you can do the same thing by selecting from 4 different power levels, then we might be in business, but I just don't think the market is big enough for a 3rd party to get into that game. In some ways, diesel engines are easier to tune for more power than gas engines since you don't have to maintain a certain air to fuel ratio and can simply increase the amount of fuel delivered for more power, but you have to watch exhaust temps and turbos adds a whole other dimension to things that can go wrong when too much fuel is being delivered!

I run the predator on my 2002 Duramax truck, and I can tune it to where the Allison transmission start to slip and goes into limp mode. You are playing with fire for sure however.

That said, it would be cool to be able to program your factory fresh tractor for power that that crazy Swede that put a turbo on his tractor and can go 60 mph down the road and make rooster tails in the field at will. :)

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #18  
The open station 5e series are still all mechanical injection, no electronics whatsoever. In theory it is possible to take a 5045e and 'turn it up' to a 5075e. With that said, I'm not sure the practicality of it as the EPA has done everything the can to make sure you can't fiddle with the injection pump. I would hope there is still some adjustment in the pump, but it wouldn't surprise me if more fuel = buying a different pump. Also, there are other changes that go along with, or are used in lieu of turning up the fuel. I think to go from the 5045e to 5055e it is just a change in timing, then to go to the 5065e its a change in fuel delivery. Not sure what the 5065e vs 5075e change is, but it might involve the boost pressure, etc. Sometime I hope to get a shop manual for these tractors and see if I can figure out what the real difference is. Regardless, buying the right size from the start is sound advice, and I wouldn't go tinkering on a brand new tractor anyways.

The 5075e and MX8 will be a nice combo.

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #19  
The injector tips size does change along with pump elements.
Electronic common rail systems are easy. Just install higher flow injectors to use with the stock timing.

/ 2013 5065e or 5075e #20  
The injector tips size does change along with pump elements.
Electronic common rail systems are easy. Just install higher flow injectors to use with the stock timing.

No such thing as a "Free Lunch"! Horsepower or cheeseburgers... you get what you pay for! Much discussion here (and other brand forums) on the 4000 series (and some on the cab model 5083e) of jumping the horsepower with a little "tweak" on the injector pump.

A detailed review of the parts listing's (pump, turbo, injectors) for the different Hp rating on the 4000 quickly illustrates that it's not JUST a set-screw on the pump. It's a whole lot more!

'Course, I don't know about you - but, if I'm gonna buy a NEW tractor - why, why would I trash the warranty right off the dealer's lot??!?

Pony up for those extra horses.

AKfish