Never owned a tractor

/ Never owned a tractor #1  

JLinOK

Tractor
looking
I recently purchased 80 acres on which I intend to build a house. I will need a tractor to do a little bit of everything. Not much row cropping, but I will be removing a lot of cedars, eventually building a pond, putting in fence, running a little livestock, road maitenance, mowing, putting in a game food plot, etc. Still it will be a hobby farm. (keeping my day job). I realize what I buy won't build a pond, but I don't want anything too small.

Anyone have any recommendations?

I am currently looking at a JD 3255 with loader and 4500 hours. A JD 5310 with loader and 1100 hours, and some of the 43/45/4720 smaller compact Deeres. I am within driving (of the tractor) distance of the local Deere dealer, so I considered the 3255 even though I won't be able to haul it. I have set a $25K limit and would rather spend less.

/ Never owned a tractor #2  
I have 40 acres - purchased a 3720 cab (my first tractor) and quickly traded it in for a new 4720 cab. i'd think your going to need to stay with the 4 and 5 size JD tractors. do you have any hills? the main reason why my 3720 is that is was a cab and the smaller tractors have a more narrow stance. they will be scarry on some hills and can't take rough bumpy feilds - the bigger tractor will be more stable and give you more and greater lifting power. in the end, I wasted more money going smaller...

/ Never owned a tractor
Lots of hills. I am kind of an outside guy, so I don't think I will spring extra for the cab, but it gets in the teens here in the winter and 100's in the summer, so I may eat those words later. Everyone tells me the 4wd/mfwd is a big plus with the loader. Basically I hear "don't get one too small" but I wonder if the 100 horse 3255 is too big (an older build in germany Deere 1992 model). Nothing is cheap to work on at John Deere but I worry a little about the higher maintenance on the bigger tractor as well. Age and hours don't bother me as I doubt I put 300 hours a year on one, expecially after the first couple years.

/ Never owned a tractor #4  
I would think that the 53xx Deere would be about the right size, don't think i would go smaller with that much land. You would be surprised at how small of a tractor that really is once you spend some time on it. HIGHLY recommend 4wd with a loader.

/ Never owned a tractor
I just put a bid on a 5310 with Loader/Box blade and 6' bushhog from John Deere. It has an open hydraulic on the rear and only 1100 hours. Unfortunately, tractors here in the oil patch (Oklahoma) aren't as cheap as elsewhere, but I don't want to buy one site unseen and try and ship it in or pull it with my 1/2 ton yuppy truck (Avalanche).

Thank you for your input. I was really tempted to downsize to fit my budget but you guys' advice probably kept me from going too small.