JD vs. Lenar

/ JD vs. Lenar #1  

Currmudgeon

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 855
I'm about ready to move on my machine. Right now, I'm looking at a used JD 2210, and a new Lenar 24 HP. I'm also waiting for a quote on a new NH TC24D, but I expect it to price itself out of the competition.

I need to overhaul five acres of rough pasture junkyard. The soil is nearly pure sand, with little grade. There are rough areas that need to be graded out and the whole thing probably would benefit from being dragged flat.

I intend to run a 60 inch rotary cutter, a 60 inch box blade, and probably a gill rake, in addition to the FEL. The good spots would probably be OK with a finishing mower, but the rough spots will need a rotary cutter. The eventual use for the pasture will be as a dog showing and training field, so I want to bring it to a mediocre turf condition.

The John Deere is a John Deere, with all that implies about quality, reliability, and resale value. I like the hydrostatic transmission and the fact that there are real dealers who can service it. With 600 hours on the clock, it's nearly new.

My big question arises over the fact that the Chinese tractors weigh in at about twice what the comparable JD , MF, and NH machines do. About 3,000 lbs vs 1,700+/-. Is there a significant difference in traction from the difference of weights? At first glance, heavier seems better in this weight range. Am I missing something obvious, or is the difference just not that critical?

The JD has turf tires, while the Chinese tractors would be bought with ag tires. Will this hurt me much, in trying to grade out the bumps and hollows?

Now, if I cound only finf a front mounted mine detector to sweep for iron while I mow. ;-)

- Dennis

/ JD vs. Lenar #2  
OK, you are asking the green guys which way to go on Deere vs. ChinaTractorInc..

Do you think that the present work will destroy the Deere? I mean is it THAT rough? The 2210 is a Fantastic mower with good FEL versatility.

I have my tractor to work with, not on. I thing that the China Tractor guys readily admit you will be turning wrenches with them...

I bet the Deere will hold its own on traction. You may end up adding ballast, but still have that Deere.

Don't even think that the resale values are in the same stratosphere...

But you did ask Green owners....

/ JD vs. Lenar #3  
Don't forget that John Deere tractors are really Japanese built by Yanmar for JD...(all tractors below a 4510) So you may want to look into Yanmar as an option.

/ JD vs. Lenar
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( OK, you are asking the green guys which way to go on Deere vs. ChinaTractorInc..)</font>
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Do you think that the present work will destroy the Deere? I mean is it THAT rough? The 2210 is a Fantastic mower with good FEL versatility. )</font>

No, it's not really rough. I have some bad spots to clear out with the box scraper and FEL, but nothing that I can't handle with patience. Most of the lot is almost too smooth for a bush hog. It's the JD's strength as a mower (plus the fact that it already has a MMM) that causes me to lean toward the Deere.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have my tractor to work with, not on. I thing that the China Tractor guys readily admit you will be turning wrenches with them...)</font>

I've heard that as well. I want a tractor, not another hobby.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I bet the Deere will hold its own on traction. You may end up adding ballast, but still have that Deere.)</font>

I was thinking that about the ballast.

Thanks <thumb up>

/ JD vs. Lenar
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Don't forget that John Deere tractors are really Japanese built by Yanmar for JD...(all tractors below a 4510) So you may want to look into Yanmar as an option. )</font>

The particular advantage of this particular Deere is that it is at a good price, and within spitting distance of my place.

Yanmars are still grey market in the US aren't they?

/ JD vs. Lenar #6  
Wait a minute here, 600 hours on a JD 2210? Is that right? That machine can't be a year old yet. If that's right that's a lot of use in a short amount of time.

/ JD vs. Lenar #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( With 600 hours on the clock, it's nearly new.
)</font>

Aren't the warranties transferrable? I would make sure of that, and watch that warranty. The balance can sneak by. But with the right operator, 600 hours is no problem. With the wrong one. that is another story...

/ JD vs. Lenar #8  
Yes, Yanmar is grey market. Nothing wrong with grey market tractors. They are made just as well as the big 3. It might take a little longer to find parts sometimes. I don't know much about the Chinese tractors other than what I read here, if that's where Lenar is made. You might want to post this on the Other Brands forum to get more info.

/ JD vs. Lenar #9  
I agree, 600 hours on a year old tractor??
As I have found out with my 2210 with ag tires, a 4' BB is all you would want.

/ JD vs. Lenar
Well, after a little more looking, that used JD turned out to be an 855. Considerably bigger than the 2210.

It's parked out behind my shop.

So far, I've progressed from being able to lift the front end with the FEL, and spin the tires, to actually moving some dirt. I can't claim to be able to cut grade, yet.