JD warranty

/ JD warranty #1  

Anonymous Poster

Just saw the post about NH, and have similar questions for the John Deere owners:

Did you get the extended warranty(if available)? Are you glad? Mad?

Did you NOT get it ? Are you sad?

Experiences/thoughts, anyone?

Thanks,
Larry

/ JD warranty
Larry...I've purchased probably a dozen JD's over the past 10 years and I've never regretted NOT getting the extended warranty. Any repairs that I'd made within a year or so of the original warranty expiration have not exceeded the cost of the extended warranty. But...I also take good care of my equipment. If your tractor will be used by employees etc. who may abuse the machine, then you might think twice about passsing up an extended warranty. In general, dealers make money on extended warranties...that's why they're pushed so hard at the time of the sale.

/ JD warranty #3  
Larry,
No way I'd get an extended warranty if you take care of your machine. Most of the things that are going to go wrong are going to happen in the first two years of use. Very rarely will anything happen within the warranty period. You can be sure of that because if it did they wouldn't be selling you the warranty in the first place. Besides that the reason I will never buy one again is the red tape you have to go through to make a claim isn't worth the hassle to get it paid. I used to get the extended warranties but on the last tractor that I had it literally took me three months a lawyer before they would pay it. I said no more, ever again.
Richard

/ JD warranty
Thanks Richard,

How bout namin' names?
Which manufacturer made it so hard to get paid (the scoundrels!) /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif ?

Larry

/ JD warranty #5  
I really didn't wnat to start anything but it was a Kubota. This was back before JD had the small tractors. I think Kubota is a good tractor but I would never buy again after the ordeal that I went through with them. The dealer was great. He waited almost two years to get paid and fought it with me all the way. What happened is that the transmission went out and they said that I was using it for more than it was designed and that was why it failed. It was about 6 months before the extended warranty was out and they just kept putting it off and then when the warranty was out they tryed to claim that i had to be settled before the warranty was out and since the warranty was out now it wasn't covered. What a crock! Make a long story short we got a lawyer and they wound up paying. I mean when they were asked at the deposition why it was my fault the transmission failed they said that the tractor wasn't designed for farm use! It was only for small acreages and since I had 175 acres I must have used it for regular farming because there tractors wouldn't break down under normal wear. To top it all off they got this information from the questionaire that send out to you when you buy a new machine to see who you are and what you use it for! No I wouldn't ever buy a Kubota again. It was a 4200 model. Good tractor but man what a nightmare that was.
Richard

/ JD warranty
Richard,

I'm with you on the "starting something". TBN doesn't need those Chevy-Ford teeny-bopper wars.

I think this group generally agrees on that ( with some good-natured exceptions of course /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif.

Appreciate your telling-it-like-it-was!

Thanks, Larry