Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    2013 5083e

I've done about 6 hours of dirt work with the tractor, so far I'm very impressed. The standard loader is very stout, tractor has enough *** to dig a full bucket of dirt. I like the transmission... Going to do a little mowing with a little 8' shredder I just bought from my dad soon, it's pretty small for this tractor but the price was right. I'm really enjoying it.

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 5083E

Default Re: considering a 5083e

Sorry, didn't see this thread until this morning! I picked up my '13 5083E a couple of weeks ago. Haven't done much yet, but I am VERY impressed so far. Everything seems heavy built and high quality...

Good Luck, and Happy New Year!!
    Humble Camp Peach Farm
    2013 John Deere 5083E, 2013 JD 328 Square Baler
    1966 Massey Ferguson MF150 Diesel High Clearance
    1953 Ford Jubilee

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

Mike,

I have a '12 5083E and I will say this. For my original intended uses, that tractor excels at. I have a 563 loader and It will pick the rear tires off the ground if I dont have the counter weight on it. Moving round and square bales with it (kuhns system) it smokes my father in law's older ford. Grantedmine is only about 30 years newer lol. Now the other hand, if you think your going with a disc bine for hay, get more horsepower. I haven't seriously looked into them, but 69 pto hp doesn't give you to many options for running a power sucking disc bine. I have dabbled into some light farming and I dont have enough grunt for the real work. Trying to pull a 16' disc is doable, but I can't cruise at the speed I need to, and I have to constantly bump the disc to keep form burying the tractor. My suggestion would be to step up to the 5101E if at all possible, That should keep the price down a little bit but it will make that disc bine pull so much easier and give you more options.

The air seat is a needed upgrade and I highly reccomend that. I didn't do it and I have found the floor of the tractor a couple times. I would also suggest adding the third function to the loader. Currently, I tried to run the cheap route by using the rear remote and running hydraulic lines to the loader, while it works, its definately not the best option. Along those lines, Id suggest the 3rd or 4th remote is possible on the rear. The newer attachments take advantage of these and make life alot easier if you can afford it.

I'm not knocking the model at all, but if you are planning on doing real farm work and not heavy duty compact tractor work, your gonna need the horsepower. If you can't afford the upgrades, you just have to find more creative solutions to get things done. hope that helps.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

Tractor
    2013 5083e

Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    Mike,

I have a '12 5083E and I will say this. For my original intended uses, that tractor excels at. I have a 563 loader and It will pick the rear tires off the ground if I dont have the counter weight on it. Moving round and square bales with it (kuhns system) it smokes my father in law's older ford. Grantedmine is only about 30 years newer lol. Now the other hand, if you think your going with a disc bine for hay, get more horsepower. I haven't seriously looked into them, but 69 pto hp doesn't give you to many options for running a power sucking disc bine. I have dabbled into some light farming and I dont have enough grunt for the real work. Trying to pull a 16' disc is doable, but I can't cruise at the speed I need to, and I have to constantly bump the disc to keep form burying the tractor. My suggestion would be to step up to the 5101E if at all possible, That should keep the price down a little bit but it will make that disc bine pull so much easier and give you more options.

The air seat is a needed upgrade and I highly reccomend that. I didn't do it and I have found the floor of the tractor a couple times. I would also suggest adding the third function to the loader. Currently, I tried to run the cheap route by using the rear remote and running hydraulic lines to the loader, while it works, its definately not the best option. Along those lines, Id suggest the 3rd or 4th remote is possible on the rear. The newer attachments take advantage of these and make life alot easier if you can afford it.

I'm not knocking the model at all, but if you are planning on doing real farm work and not heavy duty compact tractor work, your gonna need the horsepower. If you can't afford the upgrades, you just have to find more creative solutions to get things done. hope that helps.
    I'm amazed it pulls a 16' plow... How fast does it pull it??

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by skoalman12 View Post
    I'm amazed it pulls a 16' plow... How fast does it pull it??
    no no, sorry my mistake, it will by the skin of its teeth pull a 16' transport disc at about 4.5-5 mph. (that's in Pa topsoil) Downhill, I can grab B4 and get up to almost 6mph, Not a shot in **** uphill of that additional gear. Dont get me wrong, its a strong tractor for what it is. It is not an Ag tractor IMO. It will however make a compact tractor look silly and toyish. Its a utility tractor like they advertise, but you can almost never go wrong with more hp if you can afford it.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

'95 CR 500

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 5093E

I agree its not a real ag tractor, but a lot of farmers are using them anyway due to the price. As long as you match the implement to the tractor I think it will hold up fine. I find it absolutly required to use rear ballast for loader work as the rear is so light, the 3pt hitch can't lift as much as I would expect for the size of the tractor, but it gets the job done for half the price of a "real ag tractor".
    I pull a 10' transport disc with mine and that is probably as big as I would want to go! The e's have been out for a while now and I haven't heard of any major problems yet.
    2012 John Deere 5093E Limited

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD4720, Farmall H

Hello and thanks everyone for your input. I have not been on here for a bit but am now back to shopping. I am going to try to get into the 5083 soon but not having much luck with my trade the dealers are IMO 2 to 3 thousand low for my machine but I will keep working on them.

I plan on the air seat upgrade as well as the skid steer loader attachment for the bucket, I would love to add the remote to the loader but I dont think I can swing it right now.

My level of farming will really only be haying and if I go with a discbine it will be a small one like the NI5209 I once had. Some no till seeding and pasture mowing and of course snow removal.

Hopefully things will come together soon

Thanks again to everyone and I will keep you posted

Mike

Tractor
    2013 John Deere 5093e, 2011, 1949 John Deere MT, 1972 John Deere 800 windrower, restored, 567 Deere baler, CaseIH Farmall 55a MFWD (yes, red!)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Hello and thanks everyone for your input. I have not been on here for a bit but am now back to shopping. I am going to try to get into the 5083 soon but not having much luck with my trade the dealers are IMO 2 to 3 thousand low for my machine but I will keep working on them.

I plan on the air seat upgrade as well as the skid steer loader attachment for the bucket, I would love to add the remote to the loader but I dont think I can swing it right now.

My level of farming will really only be haying and if I go with a discbine it will be a small one like the NI5209 I once had. Some no till seeding and pasture mowing and of course snow removal.

Hopefully things will come together soon

Thanks again to everyone and I will keep you posted

Mike
    I had a similar situation. My trade was being priced about $2500 less than I thought it should be when I was working an initial 5083e deal. I had already made up my mind to step up to the 5093e to get 79 pto hp for baling. I seemed to have better luck getting a good trade by stepping up to the 5093e and also getting the dealer to "throw in" the right hand door and rear wheel weights. I was satisfied, and my 5093e should be in my driveway late February according to my conversation with him yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLynch View Post
    I agree its not a real ag tractor, but a lot of farmers are using them anyway due to the price. As long as you match the implement to the tractor I think it will hold up fine. I find it absolutly required to use rear ballast for loader work as the rear is so light, the 3pt hitch can't lift as much as I would expect for the size of the tractor, but it gets the job done for half the price of a "real ag tractor".
    I pull a 10' transport disc with mine and that is probably as big as I would want to go! The e's have been out for a while now and I haven't heard of any major problems yet.
    Do you have the rear tires loaded on your tractor? That would make quite a difference on both what it will pull and how it handles loader work.

Platinum Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    Do you have the rear tires loaded on your tractor? That would make quite a difference on both what it will pull and how it handles loader work.
    YUPP def loaded and with rim guard to boot. It still will walk circles around a cut, but when you start using real farm tools, it really shows its lack of horsepower.

'95 CR 500

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast