Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 32
  1. #21
    Elite Member vtsnowedin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,169
    Location
    central Vermont
    Tractor
    John Deere 5045E

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    YUPP def loaded and with rim guard to boot. It still will walk circles around a cut, but when you start using real farm tools, it really shows its lack of horsepower.
    If you have big Ag sized fields to work and the tools to work it then you need a Big AG tractor to be competitive. nothing less will do. The 5083E will pull the tools that match it pretty efficiently but having it try to pull 100 hoss tools it is going to fall short. I'm sure you can find attachments that need 150 Hp and make mere 110 HP tractors look anemic.

  2. #22
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    224
    Location
    NS, Canada
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 5093E

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    Do you have the rear tires loaded on your tractor? That would make quite a difference on both what it will pull and how it handles loader work.
    My rear tires are loaded. I may ad weights at some point too.
    2012 John Deere 5093E Limited

  3. #23
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,264
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    If you have big Ag sized fields to work and the tools to work it then you need a Big AG tractor to be competitive. nothing less will do. The 5083E will pull the tools that match it pretty efficiently but having it try to pull 100 hoss tools it is going to fall short. I'm sure you can find attachments that need 150 Hp and make mere 110 HP tractors look anemic.
    I agree with you 100% except I dont have the Big Ag sized budget! My FIL bought/had some farm equipment before and I figured what the heck. I got a new tool, I'll give him a hand with some of the work on his FIl's property. so a 16ft transport disc was acquired for cheaply and I wanted to see what the ole girl would do. WAY to big of a disc I found out! We were planning on cutting it down to a 10 footer anyways so no biggie. He just bought a 4020 to play around with as well. I am basically starting out "farming/Ranching" from scratch. I'd love to have a 6R series deere, but i'd have to start selling body parts to do it! SO i got what I could afford just like everyone else. I did stop in at the dealer today and might have a trade worked out for a 5101E that is a year old than my machine. Those few extra ponies will be pretty handy running that 10 foot brush hog I yank around. Really the 83 horse works well, it would just be easier with a couple extra ponies on tap. The small mountain sides thatI'm lucky enough to be on sap alot of power at times as well.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

    '01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

  4. #24
    Super Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,239
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    The 5000 "Limited" machines are definitely a great value - lot's of Hp and great tractor features for the $$ invested! But, they're not as heavy duty as a comparable M.

    If you're really committed to working with your FIL and using your tractor for serious ag field work - for a few bucks more than the 101E - you could be in a good, low hour 5105M or a 6D.

    As well, if your FIL appreciates your efforts and equipment.... the money invested in the 4020 would have definitely put you in the seat of either the M or D!

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

  5. #25
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Posts
    95
    Location
    Maryland
    Tractor
    JD5083e & Farmall H

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Well I am just about to pull the trigger on the 5083 deal, here is what I am looking at.

    2012 5083e this is a used machine with very very low hours. literally shows as new. and still has warranty

    R1's Rear tires loaded
    rear wheel weights and adjustable spacers
    553 loader with skid steer QA & 84" bucket
    radio
    delux air seat
    43,900 total

    so how does this sound
    Last edited by MikeF; 01-23-2013 at 04:42 PM.

  6. #26
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,264
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    The 5000 "Limited" machines are definitely a great value - lot's of Hp and great tractor features for the $$ invested! But, they're not as heavy duty as a comparable M.

    If you're really committed to working with your FIL and using your tractor for serious ag field work - for a few bucks more than the 101E - you could be in a good, low hour 5105M or a 6D.

    As well, if your FIL appreciates your efforts and equipment.... the money invested in the 4020 would have definitely put you in the seat of either the M or D!

    AKfish
    Well fish, they are a great value, you get alot of tractor for the money, but being that I'm still trying to pay off school debt, I couldn't afford a bigger tractor payment any way that you want to cut it. Its also much better having two tractors available than one, esp in the PA clay that tends to stick tractors.

    I think the low hour 101E was maybe a 2-4k jump in price for me. The M I believe was more like 15k more. And hence, they hold their value much much better.

    My FIL, only paid about 9k for that 4020 and its a good lil tractor, but he never really planned on going full scale with it either when he bought it. We did much of the heavy work with a ford 9600 till it blew up. lol The stickiness come into play in that that tractor was his dads' and they are getting to be on less than agreeable terms. I hate asking people for money and I certainly dont like lending my tractor out for someone else to use when I have the only monetary interest involved (read, loans payments still being made). Especially considering this is the first new anything I have ever bought.


    I wasn't trying to talk down about the tractor. It has done everything I have needed it to, Just saying that If your considering a tractor because its just big enough, maybe you need to think about a little more horsepower. I would love to have a 5115M or even a 6 series, I just cant justify the cost of that size of a machine for my normal tasks. There are a handful that need more hp than what I have, but I'll just have to do them slower for now. (something else I'm learning in my old age of 27)
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

    '01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

  7. #27
    Super Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,239
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by RedNeckRacin View Post
    I think the low hour 101E was maybe a 2-4k jump in price for me. The M I believe was more like 15k more. And hence, they hold their value much much better.

    My FIL, only paid about 9k for that 4020 and its a good lil tractor, but he never really planned on going full scale with it either when he bought it. We did much of the heavy work with a ford 9600 till it blew up. lol The stickiness come into play in that that tractor was his dads' and they are getting to be on less than agreeable terms. I hate asking people for money and I certainly dont like lending my tractor out for someone else to use when I have the only monetary interest involved (read, loans payments still being made). Especially considering this is the first new anything I have ever bought.
    I hear ya.. I can fully appreciate livin' within your means! And I know what it is to never, never go askin' anybody for money - especially in-laws. I'd rather chew my own arm off - before asking for money from my FIL.

    But... I guess I was venturing that workin' the 83E or the 101E with the kind of field work you were discussing - well, it just seems to me that you're gonna shorten the life of the tractor and jepordize your investment!

    What up-front money you're saving right now could very well be spent a couple of years from now - on repairs!

    I wasn't suggesting that the E's were not a great tractor or that buying another - higher horsepower model - wasn't a good idea.

    The point I was hoping to get across was; just workin' the dog-crap outta YOUR tractor to shore up your FIL's farm.... well, that doesn't make good sense to me - unless, he fully recognizes your contribution and is willing to say so. Like - dang, boy you're doin' good and I appreciate it. How about we (WE) get YOU a bigger, heavier tractor to get this work done!

    That's it - in a nut shell!

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

  8. #28
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,264
    Location
    Western PA
    Tractor
    John Deere 5083E MWFD, Kubota L3400 HST

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by AKfish View Post
    I hear ya.. I can fully appreciate livin' within your means! And I know what it is to never, never go askin' anybody for money - especially in-laws. I'd rather chew my own arm off - before asking for money from my FIL.

    But... I guess I was venturing that workin' the 83E or the 101E with the kind of field work you were discussing - well, it just seems to me that you're gonna shorten the life of the tractor and jepordize your investment!

    What up-front money you're saving right now could very well be spent a couple of years from now - on repairs!

    I wasn't suggesting that the E's were not a great tractor or that buying another - higher horsepower model - wasn't a good idea.

    The point I was hoping to get across was; just workin' the dog-crap outta YOUR tractor to shore up your FIL's farm.... well, that doesn't make good sense to me - unless, he fully recognizes your contribution and is willing to say so. Like - dang, boy you're doin' good and I appreciate it. How about we (WE) get YOU a bigger, heavier tractor to get this work done!

    That's it - in a nut shell!

    AKfish
    Hey fish, livin within in your means is really tough when knocking down school loans that doesnt really have any physical value. I despise asking anybody for money, now advice, i always seek out (maybe because its free?) I dont always take it though lol

    Well there wasn't much of an option, basically starting out our own horse farm (down to 28 now) and I had to have a reliable tractor for a variety of needs. I got the most tractor I could afford at the time and it does almost everything I need well. There are a few chores that could def use some more muscle as I have found out I'll just have to take my time instead of hurrying. The tractors are made to be run at rated rpm for days and days on end as long as the P&M maintenance schedules are followed. Are those harder hours? you betcha, but thats why I bought a john deere and not a chinese or off brand tractor. I so far have avoided alot of the heavier needs but the day will come when Ill be on my own.

    Thats the other problem, its not all of my equipment, just my tractor, so i gotta use what i got since I can't go buy a whole new set of tools just for my machine.
    '11 John Deere 5083E, 563NSL Loader, MX10 Mower, 78" Bucket, Forks/Bale spear (interchangeable)
    L3400 Kubota HST Loader, finish mower, rake, scraper blade, Gin pole, Kustom Fab front hydraulic snow plow (Inspired by ASGAR),

    '01 International 4700 LP, DT530, Allison MD3060, Air Ride, Crew Cab
    '11 Moritz 20+5 14.5K GN with adj. Tail
    '95 CR 500
    FIL-JD 4020; Ford 9600,5000

  9. #29
    Super Member AKfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,239
    Location
    Kasilof, Alaska
    Tractor
    JD 5075M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R

    Default Re: considering a 5083e

    Quote Originally Posted by tractorslinger View Post
    I could do that package for around 42, 000 on a 2013 model. We offer shipping as well. Sold one to Mr. AKfish if you would like reference. Let me know if you want a official quote.
    Shane.. is that you?? That's a pretty reasonable - off the cuff - price! What are your thoughts on the new, cabbed E models? Any "ballpark" numbers for the 55, 65, 75hp models with cab? How about availability - timeframe?

    Inquiring minds want to know!!

    Thanks.

    AKfish
    "Most people want to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it."

  10. #30
    Veteran Member RollingsFarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,961
    Location
    South Carolina
    Tractor
    John Deere 5325 & John Deere 910A 22hp Kawasaki/54" deck

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tractorslinger View Post

    Its me. Hope all is well in beautiful Alaska. I got to see the 5055E cab at the national dealer meeting in Florida. To be honest...JD nailed it. If you dont need all the goodies on the M series it is a great cost effective option. Cab is very nice and spacious. Looking at August for availability. Good talking to you. Any referrals always welcome and appreciated. Thanks.
    I'm anxiously waiting and licking my chops to order a 5065e with power reverser. Love to have a cab but this one will be used in and around woods so I'd tear it up in no time.


    John Deere 5325 MFWD

    John Deere 910A 54" 7-Iron PRO deck

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 5083E Anybody have one??
    By KB9UDE in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 08:01 PM
  2. JD 5083e -opinions?
    By bunchgrass in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-16-2012, 07:47 PM
  3. Buying Advice 5083E
    By davel745 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-29-2011, 09:48 PM
  4. Used 5083e pricing
    By mtncur in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
  5. Trailer for JD 5083e
    By Legacy1 in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.