4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #1  

Sledge

Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
I tried to build a 4520 cab on the John Deere website today and it now states that the EPTO option is not available. Does anyone know what the story is on this?

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #2  
I would check again tomorrow as it seems the website is screwed up. From what I could see Deere has expanded the options with epto recently. I have the epto on my 2009 4520 cab and it is a useful add on imo.

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #3  
When I ordered mine last summer, I dropped the E-PTO from my option list as it was going to add like 8 month to delivery time due to transmission availability. Without the E-PTO, I got mine in 4 weeks. They may still be having "availability" issues which is why it has been dropped for now. In this new global manufacturing world we live in, it is anybodies guess as to why a manufacturer does what they do.

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #4  
wolfpack2 said:
When I ordered mine last summer, I dropped the E-PTO from my option list as it was going to add like 8 month to delivery time due to transmission availability. Without the E-PTO, I got mine in 4 weeks. They may still be having "availability" issues which is why it has been dropped for now. In this new global manufacturing world we live in, it is anybodies guess as to why a manufacturer does what they do.

So what is E-PTO anyway? Too many acronyms, so little time!

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #5  
Economy PTO. Lowers the engine rpm required to run the PTO at 540 rpm. For example, on my 5425 the e-pto allows 540 rpm pto speed at around 1700 engine rpm instead of the usual 2400 rpm without e-pto engaged. Saves fuel (and eardrums!) when running lower power requirement implements. You lose some pto hp but not that noticeable at least for me anyway. In my situation I had existing attachments that were sized for my IH 454 which has about half the pto horsepower. So I don't need full pto horsepower when running those implements with the 5425. It is a worthwhile option in my opinion.

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #6  
Heywood Jannockitov said:
Economy PTO. Lowers the engine rpm required to run the PTO at 540 rpm. For example, on my 5425 the e-pto allows 540 rpm pto speed at around 1700 engine rpm instead of the usual 2400 rpm without e-pto engaged. Saves fuel (and eardrums!) when running lower power requirement implements. You lose some pto hp but not that noticeable at least for me anyway. In my situation I had existing attachments that were sized for my IH 454 which has about half the pto horsepower. So I don't need full pto horsepower when running those implements with the 5425. It is a worthwhile option in my opinion.

Thank you!

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #7  

I had the same issue so I bought my 4520 without the ePTO as well. It may not have been a common item so they only ran a few transmissions at a time off the assembly line with that option. Sounds like they are dropping it all together. I was disappointed not to get it but I do love the tractor.

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #8  
I thought the e-PTO option has been out a long time for these tractors. Nonetheless, rumors have it that the 4000s cannot be ordered with the e-PTO option from the factory at the moment. JD seems to be doing the last runs for these models now and not all the options can be ordered. Also, JD is doing one last limited run of the Power Reverser transmissions for these model tractors; maybe a run of only 200 more tractors, so if you want a 4x20 model with a Power Reverser transmission, you better get it now.

Supposedly, the new 4000 models will be out in 2014 and most likely will have the Yanmar engines in them. Also, it is not clear if the new models will will offer the Power Reverse transmission anymore. Hopefully, the e-PTO option and all other options will be order-able in 2014.

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #9  
I was accidentally on the "international" version of the JD site last night, and noticed that Epto is standard on the 4x20's. I wonder if they are on "hold", or if that's where all of "ours" are going?

/ 4520 EPTO option not orderable from factory #10  
I have also been snooping the net for news on the Yanmar engine switch. What I have discovered is that the powertech engines seem to be in great demand. It also lookes like the possible dropping of the 4120 from the 4000 line when the new models appear in 2014 which I think you will see this spring. Seems JD is heading in the global product design of their tractors as the car companies have. That way any tractor can be produced for any market in any given factory with little fuss. Nothing concrete on engine switching. Will keep looking.