R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #41  
We are in the market for a new orchard tractor here and since John Deere closed our local dealership I have been looking at New Hollands. I've always been a Deere man but I don't see I have much choice in the matter now. Anyways. I called two New Holland dealers to compare quotes and one of them wouldn't give me a quote and told me I HAVE to buy the tractor from my local dealer. Free enterprise my ***.

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #42  
R.N Johnson has just announced they will be closed their doors for ever. Auctioning off everything including the building. I run a large apple orchard in Southern Vermont about 15 minutes from R.N's. We have 6 john deere tractors and every one is essential to our operation. Thanks a lot John Deere. What the **** am I supposed to do now? Drive an 1 hour and 45 minutes every time I need a part. Ridiculous.

:welcome: to TBN Tell you what, I would not be buying anymore JD's **** them.

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #43  
We used to have a couple small dealers here.
Now I have to drive over a half hour away to someplace that has the bedside manner of a dead gnat.
Pretty fancy store with no soul.
Sigh
So Bill-might this be on Rt 38?

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #44  
We are in the market for a new orchard tractor here and since John Deere closed our local dealership I have been looking at New Hollands. I've always been a Deere man but I don't see I have much choice in the matter now. Anyways. I called two New Holland dealers to compare quotes and one of them wouldn't give me a quote and told me I HAVE to buy the tractor from my local dealer. Free enterprise my ***.

Take a look at Kubota. They don't seem to be playing any dealer games.

For Deere, sure it'a a business decesion but to take out one of the oldest dealers in the country, one that has widespread public adoration, was probably not a good idea. They should have considered a solution and maybe they did, but management is also about knowing what not to do.

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere
R.N Johnson has just announced they will be closed their doors for ever. Auctioning off everything including the building. I run a large apple orchard in Southern Vermont about 15 minutes from R.N's. We have 6 john deere tractors and every one is essential to our operation. Thanks a lot John Deere. What the **** am I supposed to do now? Drive an 1 hour and 45 minutes every time I need a part. Ridiculous.

Sad news indeed.......They have been a customer of ours for hydraulic seals and packings for some of their repairs, and I have bought parts from them too, hate to lose any dealers.....:(

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #46  

Looks like Deere has decided that, at least in the short-term, they're willing to suffer market loss in the outlying smaller market states by closing down the single-owner or single-site dealerships. It's a reasonable business strategy.

Consolidate. Larger group stores can afford to maintain larger floor inventory as well as larger part's inventories. And, they can employ and maintain a cadre of well trained technicians.

Of course, what Deere dismantles with that strategy is competition and small community equipment service and equipment/part's availability in less populated rural areas. Small farmers, hobbiest's, and local commuities will see less localized economic activity. Regional and more populated agricultural areas will not likely experience less economic activity but, the smaller roots on the trees will dry up.

Someone mentioned the "Walmart" model... Superstores!! Killer model for the corporate guy. Death knell for the Mom and Pop's.

AKfish

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #47  
I called two New Holland dealers to compare quotes and one of them wouldn't give me a quote and told me I HAVE to buy the tractor from my local dealer.

That dealer must be owned by a relative of Nancy Pelosi; because that is similar to her Oscamacare comment, "We have to pass the bill to see what's in it."

I keep expecting my local Deere dealer to get gobbled up by the chain owning most of the dealers east of the mountains in Colorado, or get run off by Deere.

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #48  
Sad day for the area,heads up for the other small JD dealers.

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #49  
I bought my tractor there, and I drive by there everyday..It is sad. I am going to the auction, but mainly to support them. I think just about every field in Southern New Hampshire/Vermont has a green and yellow tractor in it. My grandfather bought his tractors there for 40 years..I wish times had been different..

/ R N Johnson, Walpole, NH Losing John Deere #50  
Below is from their website. This is so sad. My father bought a tractor from them in the '70s. They were a great dealer. I currently have an x540 which I was going to trade this spring for a 1026r. But because of this ruthless business practice, I'm now going to look at other brands... Unbelievable and simply unnecessary. I'd gladly pay more for a tractor to avoid this AND to keep jobs in this country. America and our people continue to be the losers when this sort of thing happens. :(

With no small amount of sadness, we announce the closing of R.N. Johnson, Inc., after 84 years in business. After losing our John Deere contract on January 7th of this year, we exhausted every possible means to secure new lines and financing to allow our continued operations. It became apparent that these efforts would not bear fruit within the time frame necessary to remain a viable business. In the end, the decision to close was made to provide our employees a month's advance notice, allowing them time to secure new employment. The next month will allow us to finish all service work in progress. The decision was also made to ensure that upon the closure of our business, we would have sufficient assets to allow us to pay off all our creditors, and not close our doors owing our many loyal and patient suppliers any money. Lastly, over the next month we will be able to refer our many loyal customers to other equipment sales and service businesses best able to satisfy their future needs.Our last day of business will be Thursday, March 28, 2013. Until closing, we will run a store-wide inventory clearance sale of 25% off all in-stock parts and merchandise. As the month progresses, we will increase the discount as needed to liquidate as much inventory as possible. New and used machinery is not included, nor is service work in our shop. We have scheduled a liquidation auction for Saturday, April 20th, from 9:00 am until everything is sold. The auction is being run by Reginald Lussier, Lussier Auction Service, Lyndonville, VT. The auction will include our John Deere Museum collection and all John Deere memorabilia, parts library, tech manuals, operator manuals and special tools. After 84 years as a John Deere dealer, we have antique John Deere signs, posters, literature, sales manuals, price books, parts books and manuals and many other collectibles spanning the 2 Cylinder era. Also in the auction will be the balance of our equipment inventory, all vehicles, forklifts, shop tools, hand tools, power tools and supplies, waste oil furnaces, hoists, lifts, presses, welders, compressors and the like. The sale of our real estate will be handled by Cindy Westover, Galloway Real Estate, Walpole, NH. At a date to be announced, after the auction we will hold a giant yard sale to liquidate unsold parts, pieces and merchandise still on hand. All sales between now and our final closing will be by cash, check or credit card.
I thank God for my wonderful and loyal employees who have been my friends and allies through thick and thin. I thank God our many customers who have made this a rewarding and fulfilling business to be in. I thank God for giving me, my family and my employees the faith, grace, courage, strength and hope to make this decision and move forward to the next chapter in our lives, according to His Holy will. I am confident He will provide all that we need and will continue to guide and protect us in whatever we do.

May God bless you always,

Alan W. Johnson