New (to me) 5105M

/ New (to me) 5105M #21  
The light and the radio antenna are supposed to be replaced when the new cab top is installed. Actually the light is inside the cab but the mount for it is broken. The orange signal light is broken too.

I have been considering getting a Golight Stryker HID remote control spotlight to put on the top of the cab. I think that would be handy if I needed to look for a cow at night or for hunting hogs or coyotes. The only bad part is the cheapest I've been able to find is $500. Looks like a heck of a light though.

Hehe, I have one! I use it for irrigation when I put it on the pickup. A lot better when running around at night time in the fields. When its foggy, it gets a bit blurry but it has very good lighting! Mines a magnetic mount 100 lbs pull that I mount temporarily on the outside because I don't want it stolen. It's expensive, but totally worth it.

/ New (to me) 5105M
Your picture are fine. I see a lot worse cell phone pictures. I'd be more than happy with the 16 speed PowrReverser. They make a modulator for it (I have no experience with one) might want to ask AKFish, I think he has one.
I added the color rings to my SCV levers like yours has and also the color matched dust caps to my rear QCs. I like that style joystick handle too! Do you have 3 functions for the joystick or only two?
I agree if the rear tires are not loaded have that done. I would want RimGuard, NOT C.C. I would also have them set the fronts as wide as recommended for the loader the set the rears either as wide as possible for most stablity or the same overall width as the fronts (that's how I set mine up) for best manuverablity. I would want a front end guard and front starter weight (makes a good bumper) too.
If you will be taking the loader on and off a lot I highly recommend a multicoupler vs individual QCs.
I also like the down exhaust. My 2030 has it, My 6415 will, just need to buy the parts.

I wanted the 3 function loader but, again, money and buying used dictates some things. The dealer quoted me $2500 just to add the third mid outlet! That's just crazy! During the course of my tractor shopping I had spoken to a Kabota dealer who told me that the third mid on a Kabota was $800. That is a little more reasonable but I really wanted a JD 5105M so I have what it has.

As for the exhaust, I haven't decided if I like it or not. I put the vertical exhaust on my 4310 because of breathing fumes and the fact that I just thought that a tractor should have a stack. Since this tractor has a cab fumes shouldn't be an issue and I can't decide if it's worth the expense to have a stack. It was only about $85 to convert the 4310. I would imagine that it would be considerably more for the 5105M. I have been considering wheel weights and I think they are about $400 a set!

/ New (to me) 5105M
Hehe, I have one! I use it for irrigation when I put it on the pickup. A lot better when running around at night time in the fields. When its foggy, it gets a bit blurry but it has very good lighting! Mines a magnetic mount 100 lbs pull that I mount temporarily on the outside because I don't want it stolen. It's expensive, but totally worth it.

I have to research this light a little more. I like the idea of a magnet mount but I doubt if it will stay on the fiberglass roof. I have to find out what the other mount consists of. I think a super bright remote control spotlight would be very handy but $500 is a bunch of money for a light.

I guess I'm fortunate that I don't have a woman in the house to question these things. Experience tells me that if I had a wife I probably wouldn't have a tractor. Tractors have a big advantage over wives. You can shut a tractor off!

/ New (to me) 5105M #24  
They make a modulator for it (I have no experience with one) might want to ask AKFish, I think he has one.

I agree if the rear tires are not loaded have that done. I would want RimGuard, NOT C.C. I would also have them set the fronts as wide as recommended for the loader the set the rears either as wide as possible for most stablity or the same overall width as the fronts (that's how I set mine up) for best manuverablity. I would want a front end guard and front starter weight (makes a good bumper) too.

If you will be taking the loader on and off a lot I highly recommend a multicoupler vs individual QCs.

The reverser shift modulator is a good investment. Somewhere around $100. IMO - saves on tire wear, and general wear and tear on the tractor's running gear - not to mention that it can help keep your face outta the windshield! :laughing:

I got the starter weight for the front of the tractor as well. Couple a hundred bucks. Deere actually recommends having it on the tractor with loader use. I'm always "into the pile" or "on the pile" with the loader. So, having it on there has saved that front grill mesh a number of times. I'd hate to think how much Deere charges to replace that!!

I have rear wheel weights, too. They were expensive; but, I couldn't get Rimgard up here and did NOT want to go with calcium chloride. Even with wheel weights and something on the 3pt. (rototiller or rear blade) the @ss end of the tractor will get "light and flighty". Especially hauling and loading, stacking heavy round bales in a bouncy hay field.

The corner post exhaust wasn't available on the 5M when I was in the market. I would have ordered that! Don't know for certain - but, it wouldn't surprise me if the horizontal exhaust option is more $$ than the corner post! The MSL loader arms are a PITA for visibility - IMO. Especially, when coming from a tractor with curved boom arms and a sloped front hood! Add in the exhaust pipe to the mix and it's an aggravation! I'd stick with the H-exhaust for a while with the loader and make a decision after working with it for a spell.

AKfish

/ New (to me) 5105M #25  
If you ever decide to get rid of the horizonal exhaust I want it for the M series I may some day have ;)

/ New (to me) 5105M
The reverser shift modulator is a good investment. Somewhere around $100. IMO - saves on tire wear, and general wear and tear on the tractor's running gear - not to mention that it can help keep your face outta the windshield! :laughing:

I got the starter weight for the front of the tractor as well. Couple a hundred bucks. Deere actually recommends having it on the tractor with loader use. I'm always "into the pile" or "on the pile" with the loader. So, having it on there has saved that front grill mesh a number of times. I'd hate to think how much Deere charges to replace that!!

I have rear wheel weights, too. They were expensive; but, I couldn't get Rimgard up here and did NOT want to go with calcium chloride. Even with wheel weights and something on the 3pt. (rototiller or rear blade) the @ss end of the tractor will get "light and flighty". Especially hauling and loading, stacking heavy round bales in a bouncy hay field.

The corner post exhaust wasn't available on the 5M when I was in the market. I would have ordered that! Don't know for certain - but, it wouldn't surprise me if the horizontal exhaust option is more $$ than the corner post! The MSL loader arms are a PITA for visibility - IMO. Especially, when coming from a tractor with curved boom arms and a sloped front hood! Add in the exhaust pipe to the mix and it's an aggravation! I'd stick with the H-exhaust for a while with the loader and make a decision after working with it for a spell.

AKfish

I may consider the modulator. I'll have to see how it is without it. The 4310 that I have has a two position switch that is supposed to vary how aggressively it changes direction but I never could tell much difference. The PowrReverser on the 4310 seemed pretty well engineered and would operate quite smoothly even if you were going full speed in high gear. I'm hoping that it works the same way on the 5105M.

I don't know about the exhaust. To me a tractor looks kind of naked without an exhaust pipe sticking up somewhere on it. It gives you another indication of how the tractor is running and how hard it is working to be able to see the exhaust. Well, at least it does on tractors without all the latest emissions stuff. I personally like to see a little smoke once in a while. One of the reasons I changed the exhaust on the 4310 was that it would spit out a few sparks, mainly noticeable in low light conditions, and I became concerned about starting a fire. I have a home-made log splitter that runs off the hydraulic system on the tractor. I do not want to set the dry grass on fire while the tractor sits there in the field powering the splitter. I guess a lot depends on how much it costs to convert it. Right now I have too many things that I want and too little money buy them.

/ New (to me) 5105M #27  
Right now I have too many things that I want and too little money buy them.

I hate how it always seems to work like that. LOL. I guess i need a reason to keep going work every day.

/ New (to me) 5105M #28  
I've been noticing some comments regarding the Tier IV exhaust system on the newest M series tractors. Specifically some owners of older model M's who are saying they wanted to stay away from the newer emission controls. I was wondering what the big scare is and why having the emissions is a disadvantage? Other than a few more components I was of the understanding that there is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) involved that would need cleaning but that is only required at 3000 hours. Or at 5000 hours on larger machines. I was just curious of why the newer M's are an issue. It just seems to me that if an engine could run cleaner that's a good thing. My daughter has to breath the same air we do. I personally think the newer emissions are an advantage in that regard and the decibal level is probably lower as well. Any comments?

/ New (to me) 5105M #29  
I've been noticing some comments regarding the Tier IV exhaust system on the newest M series tractors. Specifically some owners of older model M's who are saying they wanted to stay away from the newer emission controls. I was wondering what the big scare is and why having the emissions is a disadvantage? Other than a few more components I was of the understanding that there is a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) involved that would need cleaning but that is only required at 3000 hours. Or at 5000 hours on larger machines. I was just curious of why the newer M's are an issue. It just seems to me that if an engine could run cleaner that's a good thing. My daughter has to breath the same air we do. I personally think the newer emissions are an advantage in that regard and the decibal level is probably lower as well. Any comments?

If you owned a newer diesel truck you would understand. I am all for reducing emmisions but DPF regen occurs frequently and is a real pain. New diesels have higher CO2 emmisions due to regen in order to keep particulates low.