New (to me) 5105M

/ New (to me) 5105M #31  
Maybe i'll understand when Dad's auto clean system starts kicking in on his 2012 5085M. Can anyone describe this emission system opreration? I know how it works but what actually takes place when the sucker blasts off?? I read where it produces somewhere around a million degrees farenheit or something to that effect. I'm exagerating of course but seriously what keeps the plastic hood from melting above the 5 gallon metal bucket on top. Just curious as to the functioning of this system. I'm scared to push the button that manually initiates the cleaning procedure.

/ New (to me) 5105M #32  
My 5085M has done it once so far. Takes about 45 minutes or so to complete. It was somewhat inconvenient as I was not doing field work at the time, but rather just moving some stuff around at the shop. Hood never got really hot, but the corner exhaust post sure did! I deactivated it while I completed what I was doing, and then put in back on auto to let is complete once it was move convenient for me to let it do so.

/ New (to me) 5105M #33  
My 5085M has done it once so far. Takes about 45 minutes or so to complete. It was somewhat inconvenient as I was not doing field work at the time, but rather just moving some stuff around at the shop. Hood never got really hot, but the corner exhaust post sure did! I deactivated it while I completed what I was doing, and then put in back on auto to let is complete once it was move convenient for me to let it do so.

How frequent is it? Or how many hours did it happen at.
What happens if you just turn it off? Just curious

/ New (to me) 5105M #34  
I had 115 hours on the clock. You can disable it temporarily if it is not convenient to run right when it wants to (which was my case). Then, when it is convenient, just flip the switch back to auto, and it does it's thing.

/ New (to me) 5105M #35  
I had 115 hours on the clock. You can disable it temporarily if it is not convenient to run right when it wants to (which was my case). Then, when it is convenient, just flip the switch back to auto, and it does it's thing.

What is it's "thing" that you refer to? Does it just sit there and idle up real high or start making funny noises or something? Do you have to let the machine sit and run for 45 minutes or until it's done? That is crazy! But at least there's a button to postpone the cycle until the work is done!

/ New (to me) 5105M #36  
What is it's "thing" that you refer to? Does it just sit there and idle up real high or start making funny noises or something? Do you have to let the machine sit and run for 45 minutes or until it's done? That is crazy! But at least there's a button to postpone the cycle until the work is done!

The problem is that when you keep postponing it that it will de-rate the engine to like 1 hp :p, Yes pclausen what happens when it's "regening", does it rev up, stay at idle or have a recommended rpm to regen.

/ New (to me) 5105M #37  
So there is an Exhaust Filter Cleaning Mode Switch that has the following 3 positions:

1. Parked
2. Auto
3. Disabled

I normally leave mine in Auto.

There are also 3 indicators in the instrument panel that are normally not on. They are:

1. Exhaust Filter (Restriction)
2. High Exhaust Temperature
3. Exhaust Filter Disabled

So at 115 hours, the High Exhaust Temperature light came on. The engine did not automatically rev up to 1800 RPMs, or anything like that, but I kept the RPMs up anyway, but after about 20 minutes, I was done doing what I needed to do, so I moved the switch to disabled and shut down the engine after a few minutes of letting the exhaust cool down. I moved the switch back to Auto after shutting it down.

Next time I started it back up, after about 10 minutes, it kicked into cleaning mode again, and I just let is complete this time, which took maybe 30 minutes. I was cutting a field, so no big deal.

My understanding is that it is only if you constantly prevent it from doing the auto exhaust filter cleaning for an extended period of time, say 500 hours, the following will take place.

The caution light (!) and exhaust filter restriction light will come on, and engine power is reduced, and the instrument cluster will start beeping at you. The tractor now requires a parked cleaning before full power can be restored.

1. You now have to stop the tractor, put transmission in park, disengage PTO, and set engine to 900 RPM.
2. Press and hold the exhaust cleaning switch in the parked cleaning position for 3 seconds and release
3. Engine speed will ramp up to 1800 RPM and the parked cleaning symbol on the switch will begin flashing
4. The process will take 30-45 minutes, during which time the information display in the dash will go from 1 to 100 for prep stage (engine rpm increasing and temp gets to where it needs to be), and then again from 1 to 100 during the actual cleaning stage.

Last edited:
   / New (to me) 5105M #38  
Thanks for taking the time to post the information!!!

/ New (to me) 5105M
Got a call from the dealer this afternoon advising that a new top for the cab is not available from John Deere and the loader is still a week away. Is it just me or is nothing simple anymore? He says that they want to have an autobody repairman come in and fix the cab. I'm not sure what I want to do now. This is a fairly sizable investment and I want this to be as right as possible. I have a friend who is a parts man at another dealership checking on the cab roof for me. I just don't know if they are telling the truth or they are trying to save money. I guess being a cop for 28 years has made me suspicious of everybody.

/ New (to me) 5105M #40  
Look at JD parts online website. That doesn't make sense. It's not old enough for the parts to be obsolete. I'm calling balogna!! I would sure hate to miss that deal over the cab top cosmetics. That is a killer machine!! Maybe somebody else is looking at it and saying they'd buy it as is?? Unless you're locked in on it!? If you've made a down payment the ball is in your court (no pun intended officer)haha! Good luck!!