New (to me) 5105M

/ New (to me) 5105M #41  
Got a call from the dealer this afternoon advising that a new top for the cab is not available from John Deere and the loader is still a week away. Is it just me or is nothing simple anymore? He says that they want to have an autobody repairman come in and fix the cab. I'm not sure what I want to do now. This is a fairly sizable investment and I want this to be as right as possible. I have a friend who is a parts man at another dealership checking on the cab roof for me. I just don't know if they are telling the truth or they are trying to save money. I guess being a cop for 28 years has made me suspicious of everybody.

Wasn't it Ronald Reagan who said "Trust but verify"? How bad is the damage? Is the seal or integrity of the cab jeopardized?

A few years back, a local hay farmer rolled his 5425 onto it's side while feeding large round bales. Snow on top of ice... add in an angled slope - and there ya go! Nonetheless, I figured they'd have to replace the cab. Nope. Took it to a auto body shop and they fixed it like new. The window frames were the worst of it - but, a little bit of hydraulic pressure in the right spots, a bit of welding and cutting...

I drove that tractor this past Spring unloading 1-ton fertilizer bags. Cab was still solid and quiet. The rest of the tractor was a different story, though. Somebody had/has a difficult time using the clutch. It was nearly toast.

That said, I well understand your desire to have the tractor the way you want it. Look it over - very closely. If you don't like what you see and continue to harbor concerns that it won't turn out the way you want things to be... keep looking for another tractor.

It's that simple. You'd be surprised at the number of low hour, 95M, 105M and 115M's there are for sale in your part of the country. Take a peek at Tractorhouse and Machinefinder.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ New (to me) 5105M #42  
I got the old cab from my 5085M in case you're interested. They put the older style cab on my MY2012 M, so this MY2012 cab should fit the older M I would think. :D

jdcabframe1.jpg

/ New (to me) 5105M
I got the old cab from my 5085M in case you're interested. They put the older style cab on my MY2012 M, so this MY2012 cab should fit the older M I would think. :D

jdcabframe1.jpg

It doesn't need the whole cab, just the fiberglass top. Someone apparently drove it into something that was a little too low. There is a hole in the top left corner, which they had some cheap green tape over. It also knocked off the work light and smashed the orange warning light. Doesn't appear to be major damage but I would like it fixed right. I think I'll go over there tomorrow and look at it again and see if a fiberglass repair would be acceptable. Maybe we can work out something like a break on some wheel weights or something. Sometimes buying something that is not perfect is better. That way I won't get overly stressed about the first scratch it will inevitably get. It appears to be a good solid tractor and there really aren't that many used 5105M's available around here. This tractor does have some desirable options. Hopefully we can work out something. I would like to feel like I can trust the person that I'm dealing with. It just seems like there are so many people out there trying to screw customers nowadays. I hope that is not the case here.

I just want to get this deal done. I have tractor stuff that I need to do. I can't believe that John Deere requires two or three weeks to get a loader delivered. I thought they bragged about everything being available overnight!

/ New (to me) 5105M #44  
It doesn't need the whole cab, just the fiberglass top. Someone apparently drove it into something that was a little too low. There is a hole in the top left corner, which they had some cheap green tape over. It also knocked off the work light and smashed the orange warning light. Doesn't appear to be major damage but I would like it fixed right. I think I'll go over there tomorrow and look at it again and see if a fiberglass repair would be acceptable. Maybe we can work out something like a break on some wheel weights or something. Sometimes buying something that is not perfect is better. That way I won't get overly stressed about the first scratch it will inevitably get. It appears to be a good solid tractor and there really aren't that many used 5105M's available around here. This tractor does have some desirable options. Hopefully we can work out something. I would like to feel like I can trust the person that I'm dealing with. It just seems like there are so many people out there trying to screw customers nowadays. I hope that is not the case here.

I just want to get this deal done. I have tractor stuff that I need to do. I can't believe that John Deere requires two or three weeks to get a loader delivered. I thought they bragged about everything being available overnight!

Parts only? Haha :p I never get offered overnight parts. Seems like they never give the specials to the people up north. Get everything from them if you can! Its worth a try.

/ New (to me) 5105M #45  
Dealer may be right. JDparts shows the roof and has it as key 29, but there is no part number listed for key 29.

An autobody shop should be able to repair it if it's fiberglass or the same plastics used in autos. I would insist on factory John Deere paint be used. So it does not fade to blue/green like aftermarket paint can do.

The loader may be a "built to order" hence the three week delay.

/ New (to me) 5105M #46  
Parts only? Haha :p I never get offered overnight parts. Seems like they never give the specials to the people up north. Get everything from them if you can! Its worth a try.

If my local dealer does not have a part in stock they can get it overnight if I want to pay extra for the service. I never have. I get it on what they call a "stock order". They get stock orders once a week and it depends if you meet the deline for the next stock order or it will come the one after that.

/ New (to me) 5105M #47  

I would try and buy everything I can to go with the tractor (for a discount) as part of the deal. You will never have a better chance. Think filters, any options you want to add, etc.

And tell them you want a FREE summer and winter hat too! ;)

/ New (to me) 5105M
I would try and buy everything I can to go with the tractor (for a discount) as part of the deal. You will never have a better chance. Think filters, any options you want to add, etc.

And tell them you want a FREE summer and winter hat too! ;)

I am happy to report that there is some progress. The tractor has been moved into the shop and work has started. I was able to confirm that the top is not available as a separate piece and must be purchased as a larger part of the cab at a cost of $4000. I can certainly understand the dealer not wanting to spend that much to repair what is relatively minor damage to the top of the cab. He assured me that it will be repaired and painted so that it will look like new. They are going to service the tractor, fluids and filters, including cab filters, and install the vertical exhaust, which listed for about $325. They are also going to put fluid in the rear tires. Two sets of wheel weights cost about $860! They weren't going for that and I can't so fluid will have to do. The loader should be in soon so it's looking like it may get to me sometime next week.

I already have a good collection of John Deere caps but he did give me a model 5105M tractor that lists for $48. It's quite cool actually but I'd rather have the real one. Hopefully, around this time next week.

/ New (to me) 5105M #49  
Definitely good news! The damage in the pictures did not look too critical -- but, it's really hard to know for sure from 6,000 miles away! And, it sure sounds like your dealer is working hard for your business.

That alone... is worth a bunch - now; and on into the future!! :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see it all put together!

AKfish

/ New (to me) 5105M #50  
Sounds great!! Sounds like you have a great dealer batting for you! That tractor is one bad mudda too!! Was just curious (as most of us on TBN are) are you gonna be able to squeeze in some type of warranty on this tractor? Seems like if the Dealer has serviced and inspected the machine they would be more likely to offer a decent warranty too. I just wasn't sure if that was an option on "previously enjoyed" equipment but I guess some good tractor insurance would provide some peace of mind as well. At any rate, I know everything will work out and they will get you going soon! Keep us posted!