New (to me) 5105M

/ New (to me) 5105M #1  

bigblock

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105M
It's been a while since I've posted anything here but I thought I would share the latest tractor happening here. I have had my 4310 for almost exactly 10 years. It has served me well for 867 hours but I have spent a lot of time trying to make it do just a little more than it was designed for. I wish that I had taken a picture of the giant oak log that I made that poor little tractor drag a half mile from the woods to the rear of the house last winter. The day after I did that I went out to the shop and found the tractor with a flat rear tire, apparently just from having the bead broken by the strain of pulling that log. There was no damage to the tire.

Those days are over! I am trading my abused 4310 for a used 1670 hour 5105M. I have been thinking about this for a while and researching what I would like to have. I settled on a 5105M for a number of reasons. As you probably know, it's a discontinued model now, having been replaced by the 5115M. I preferred the 5105M because of the 5" shorter wheelbase and the lack of the tier 4 emissions equipment. Since it was the top of the 5xxxM line, the 5105M came with some of the extra bells and whistles that were options on the lower models like deluxe cab with air ride seat, heavier hitch and bigger tires. This one has triple deluxe rear remotes, 540/540E/1000 pto, electro-hydraulic hitch w/rear remote and AM/FM/CD radio. I was supposed to get it this week but I checked the dealer today and the loader has not arrived so it may be a while.

I am really looking forward to getting this tractor. Deer season ended today so it's time to start dragging next years firewood out of the woods. I've got 5 or 6 big oaks scoped out and I know the 5105 will not have any problem getting them out. I have box blade and loader work lined up so, hopefully, it will start paying for itself. I will keep y'all advised of progress and get pictures after it's delivered.

Thanks for listening,
Bob

/ New (to me) 5105M #2  
Congradulations. I am sure you will enjoy it.

/ New (to me) 5105M #3  
Sounds like a very meaningful upgrade to me. I think you will really appreciate the extras such as triple remotes and electric/hydraulic control. Enjoy and post some pics.

/ New (to me) 5105M #5  
Congratulations! Lookin' forward to your pics!

AKfish

/ New (to me) 5105M #6  
Yeah, congrats!

I made a similar move last year and sold my 4700 for a 5085M. The 5M is an awesome tractor!

You will love the EH hitch and triple rear remotes!

Pics!

/ New (to me) 5105M
Thanks for the responses. I somehow knew that I would find folks here who would understand why an old guy would choose to make this purchase.

Any issues with the 5M tractors that I should be aware of?

I appreciate being here. It has always been a place full of helpful friendly people.

/ New (to me) 5105M #8  
Pics are in order when she arrives...

/ New (to me) 5105M #9  
Congrats on your 5105M!!

I love mine. The 540E is nice and the remote fender 3pt hitch is a must.
The only issue I have had was the remote control spooler valve assembly had to be replaced at about 100 hrs. Other than that it's a great machine. I'm like you, I wanted to get my tractor before the tier IV engines came out.

/ New (to me) 5105M #10  
Congrats! Can't wait to see the pictures of your New tractor.