Dilemma choosing a X700 model

/ Dilemma choosing a X700 model #1  

eagle107

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota and John Deere Tractors
Hi Guys,

I have a JD 4520 and Scag TigerCat to maintain the family farm. I live about 400 miles away but I try to get up there every one to two months to do as many chores as I can. Of course the 4520 takes care of the bigger stuff while the Scag is used to maintain the lawn around the house and a number of wooded trails. The problem is since my dad passed away, my mother and other family members do not feel safe using the Scag, plus it does tend to get stuck mowing the lawn and the trails especially during early spring and late fall.

The terrain that is mowed with the Scag is around five to seven acres, is bumpy/rough at times and has some slight elevations but is mostly flat. The Scag is the first mower I that had zero breakdown/part problems mowing this terrain when all other homeowner/heavy-duty homeowner mowers have had problems after the first year. Also, depending on how wet the year is, we normally only put 50 hours on the Scag a year.

Right now the Scag has a 25hp Kohler command gas engine with a 52" Velocity Plus mowing deck. I need a mowing deck that is comparable to Scag´s Velocity Plus deck and it seems the 7-Iron deck will fit that requirement.

Seeing that Deere has a $1000.00 rebate on the X700 2012 models now, I am looking to trade the Scag in for a X700. I have narrowed the models down to the X728 and X740 with the 60" 7-Iron deck. The X728 has the continuous four-wheel drive and a pretty powerful Kawasaki EFI gas engine while the X740 has two-wheel drive with the Yanmar diesel engine and is $500.00 less than the X728. Please be aware that this tractor will only be used for mowing and nothing else. The 4520 does all the snowblowing, heavy finishing mowing, brush hogging, loader work and etc. on the farm.

So here is the dilemma. I am trying to figure out if I should get the X728 with four-wheel drive which could give added traction in the wet and soupy areas of the lawn and trails or would the two-wheel drive on X740 be sufficient while getting the diesel engine as a perk? Also, the diesel engine will last longer (20+ years), but the gas engine should last a long time too (14+ years). Furthermore, I realize the diesel engine will be a little better on fuel, but the EFI gas engine should be very good on fuel too, especially when cutting normal grass and not under constant load. Oh, by the way, I figured the X748 will do everything, but I cannot see spending another $1,100.00 for it.

Sorry for rambling a bit... At the moment, my gut is telling me to go with the X728. So, what do you guys think? Is my gut right? Which one should I choose? Thanks for all the help in advance!

/ Dilemma choosing a X700 model #2  
Hard to know what to tell you except i have had my x749 now for over two years and haven't been stuck yet with some heavy implements on the rear. Really like the diesel and 4x4ws, think i would spring for the x748 if it were me with the 60' 7 iron deck. Seems that would best suit your needs and i think the diesel fuel would be better for fuel storage than the new gasoline blends.

/ Dilemma choosing a X700 model #3  
Only you can decide if you need 4x4 for your tasks.

I would want a diesel. AWS is something I think would be handier than 4x4, at least for me.

I vote diesel in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

I don't know if there are much difference in electronics between them, but think EFI may be trouble down the road.

/ Dilemma choosing a X700 model
Yeah, I guess you guys are right. My uncle has the same thought pattern about the diesel and the possible EFI issues. I might as well get the right model now and not be sorry later on; so I am back to the X748. While the gas engine is very good, you do not have to worry about sparks plugs, possible ethanol corrosion, trying to troubleshoot EFI problems in time and etc. Additionally, the AWS would be nice, I would rather have the 7-iron deck seeing all the twigs and branches that can be hit while cutting in the woods, plus it provides a better cut. I will get the four wheel drive on the tractor for the reason that the property does get wet and not all sections dry as fast. At least I will get the back trails cut hopefully without getting stuck, until I can the 4520 back there.