Cotton Pickin' confused

/ Cotton Pickin' confused #11  
Why...? What can you do with a handful of raw cotton? Just the "novelty" of having it?

AKfish

Yes, just the novelty. My first job was in Kansas City, MO and my District Administrator was from New England somewhere. He had to make a trip down to my area shortly after I got there and he talked to everyone like he had been to a foreign land.

/ Cotton Pickin' confused
Why...? What can you do with a handful of raw cotton? Just the "novelty" of having it?

AKfish

Perhaps to them it was a field of flowers. Or they were always curious...

Along the same line, I still laugh at the carload of Asians who I found parked at the end of our lane all bedecked with cameras and dressed
very nicely. I'm guessing this was mid 70's.

Uh, Hi. Can I help you?
Oh Yes, Thank You. We would like to take a picture of a cow.
A cow?
Yes, I've never seen a cow.
Ma'am we don't have cows here.
Oh. Sorry.

I did head them in the general direction of a local dairy farmer, but
I don't think I quit chuckling for a week.

Doesn't have much to do with cotton but everything is a wonderment to someone.
Just hope they didn't repay the compliment but tossing a soda can out there.
I grew up picking up other people's tossed trash on our property and it
never amused me. We get a lot of tourists in our area, and maybe people are especially piggy
when they are out of town. Too bad it can't all be returned to sender.

neat video, thanks. Like a big rubber flail hooked up to a giant round hay baler.

I wonder if you could pluck duck feathers with that thing in the off season...

I think after watching that packer go up and down for six minutes I'm ready for bed...:D
Equally interesting videos, thanks.
It's amazing what we take for granted when we buy a new pack of Hanes...

/ Cotton Pickin' confused #17  
I believe this style is the latest in cotton picking tech.

How it works - Mississippi Cotton Harvest 2011 - YouTube

__J

Yes sir, that's pretty much it. I have put in a few hours on one myself. I haven't had the opportunity to run one of the new module building units yet. Both Deere and Case have their own versions and with a $600,000 price tag, they my not be for everyone just yet.

The main goal behind these units is to speed up harvest time (non stop) while also cutting labor and overhaul equip cost.

/ Cotton Pickin' confused #18  
There is just too many people in the way for a good view, but here is what was called the "old number 8" cotton picker. The first one was made in 1950. It had a 2 row head, top picking speed of 2 mph, could pick as much cotton as 80 hand pickers and cost $15,000.

P1010010.JPGP1010011.JPG

/ Cotton Pickin' confused #19  
With cotton @ $0.73 a # machine is wore out when you get it paid for. Probably take 20 # to pay for wrap. Not much profit in it without the government helping.
Fuel, fertilizer, pest control, manpower, equipment, land rent, ginning cost, crop insurance, equipment insurance and the list goes on an on. Seen my fair share of cotton farmers go under. A lot of older outdated mint condition shed kelp cotton pickers around here waiting on better prices while we plant beans.