Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series?

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #1  

andrewj

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 5105
Thanks.

well, edit is in order: I understand the basics that one is hyro and one is gear, but my real question is why do people seem to prefer shuttle shift to hydro? I will be using a loader about 20 percent of the time and mower the rest.

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #2  
Thanks.

well, edit is in order: I understand the basics that one is hyro and one is gear, but my real question is why do people seem to prefer shuttle shift to hydro? I will be using a loader about 20 percent of the time and mower the rest.

You might have this reversed. More people prefer the e-Hydro over the Power Reverser when doing loader work with a CUT. Both transmissions are very powerful, durable and proven. I find it is easier to transition between forward and reverse with the e-Hydro on the JD 4520, plus you will have more precise speed control when working in close quarters or doing more detailed loader work. It really comes down to personal preference and what you are doing. If you are going to any type of plowing or heavy ground engagement work along with the loader work, then the Power Reverser might be the better option for you. However, if you are just doing loader work and mowing, you would probably be better off with the e-Hydro.

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #3  
My take on this is that the people with larger open tracts of land can benefit by having gear tractors, particularly if you have more than one. The hydro tractors are better suited for a multitude of jobs from fel work to close quarters work as they are easier to manuever. You do give up a little efficientcy to get the hydro but I consider that a minor issue for most of my uses.

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series?
My take on this is that the people with larger open tracts of land can benefit by having gear tractors, particularly if you have more than one. The hydro tractors are better suited for a multitude of jobs from fel work to close quarters work as they are easier to manuever. You do give up a little efficientcy to get the hydro but I consider that a minor issue for most of my uses.

I am just thinking with power reverser, I have to worry about the clutch wearing out and other problems. clutch adjustment, etc. I may do some plowing will the hydro not plow? overheat?

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #5  
We are talking the 4x20's right? You won't hurt the ehydro. They are a proven design. Keep the oil cooler clear, keep the fluid/filter/screen maintained and plow away.
The reason everyone says Hydro is no good for ground engaging work, is effciency (like jenkinsph said). If you are plowing the back 40 with a hydro machine, you are throwing money down the drain on fuel.
Aside from the tranny, the 4x20's have planetary final drives!!! That's nice to see on a CUT. Also, everything is steel back there.

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #6  
I am just thinking with power reverser, I have to worry about the clutch wearing out and other problems. clutch adjustment, etc. I may do some plowing will the hydro not plow? overheat?
I haven't had any overheating problems with my ehydros' yet, actually they run cool to warm. Just a guess but you could probably save 10% on fuel using a gear tractor for continuous plowing work. So assuming an ehydro might burn 3.0 gallons/hour a gear tractor might do the same thing for 2.7 gallons/hour. The dollar or so an hour isn't going to matter to me, easing up to the wall of a customers house with confidence is much more important.

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #7  
Ag type field work typically involves setting the throttle to a working level and repetition back and forth across the field. Easily done with a clutch-type machine. Not so, with the earlier generation of Hydro machines - before the advent of cruise control and the latest - auto throttle control. You were committed to holding your foot down on the forward pedal; for hours! That's why mowing or other field chores weren't necessarily a strong suit for a Hydro tractor.

Killer on your leg, ankle, foot!

As mentioned - cruise and auto-throttle - have removed that concern with eHydro machines.

The newer generation of power reverser transmission are all hydraulic, wet clutch machines as well. Very long-lived and relatively trouble free.

So... much depends upon personal preference and a recognition of what the majority of the work projects the tractor will be used for. Inching along the side of a barn or house foundation or loading 1,000lb round bales?

AKfish

/ Waht is the difference between e hydro and shuttle shift on the JD 4000 series? #8  
The ehydro on mine is awesome! I wouldn't want anything else in this platform.