Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #11  
Not sure I could trade a Vette for a tractor. I need a tractor for the new place, but I moved here so I would have room to work on an play with some cars.

Are those Kettle Balls hanging from the front of your tractor?

Yeah ! my son thought it was funny (The tractor had b*lls ) we used them for blade weights on a Case 446 I had 011.jpg012.jpgvette 001.jpg

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #12  
   / Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #13  
Go to tractorhouse.com
You can look up what is available for sale and where it is. And what the asking prices are.

Also find attachment info there also.

Good luck

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #14  
My two cents. 55's were good machines- I put about 700 hrs on a 755. Bought it with 70 hrs and never had a bit of trouble. Sold it to my niece and its been in VT since 05 and still going strong. As for the one you describe, sounds like it has not had the best of care. All the signs, mismatched rubber-that says owner didn't have the money to fix it right- cracked dash- faded paint-so its been outside and if nothing else hasn't had a lot of care. Cosmetic?-yes-but I say a well cared for machine LOOKS well cared for-not hammered- keep looking:thumbdown:

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week
All the signs, mismatched rubber-that says owner didn't have the money to fix it right- cracked dash- faded paint-so its been outside and if nothing else hasn't had a lot of care. Cosmetic?-yes-but I say a well cared for machine LOOKS well cared for-not hammered- keep looking:thumbdown:

I came to the same conclusion. The impression I have is these are pretty good machines, and with a little work this one might serve me well. However, I foudn $600 in parts it needs in 1 15 minute walk around and didn't even drive it. The concern is what else is wrong. How bad has the care been?

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #16  
I came to the same conclusion. The impression I have is these are pretty good machines, and with a little work this one might serve me well. However, I foudn $600 in parts it needs in 1 15 minute walk around and didn't even drive it. The concern is what else is wrong. How bad has the care been?

Well, Maybe you would be better served by a sign and drive off the lot, BUT if you could do the work yourself and not have to hire it out to a mechanic you would be way ahead (no monthly payments and no immediate depreciation of a new tractor ) look how many new tractors are for sale after the buyer gets a reality check of monthly payments and low use , I can understand why some buyers "want a brand new one " but unless your using it a lot you will see it's no fun making payments on anything that sits in the garage while your working to pay for it . Just my opinion but with the added attachments you would be better off buying an older tractor for cash ! :2cents:

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #17  
got me a 655 wensday, nice looking tractor near perfect other than a crack in the seat ,paint is good all decals are there ,front jd emblem gone ( $9.95).loader and mower all there and good cond. 4500.00. found on a add , 445 miles one way which made it a long trip dealer was good helped me load it and tie it down ,so I have a few good words for the boys from mo.

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #18  
got me a 655 wensday, nice looking tractor near perfect other than a crack in the seat ,paint is good all decals are there ,front jd emblem gone ( $9.95).loader and mower all there and good cond. 4500.00.

Anybody know what the average monthly payment is on a new < 30 hp tractor with 4x4 diesel loader ?

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #19  
We had a small dariy farm 100 acres in Ireland as a kid where an outside contractor would do our heavy work like sillage harvesting and slurry. In his fleet if IH tractors was a 955. It was a great running tractor, he had it for years and his crew would run it around the clock in the busy season. He still had it when I left the area 15 years later. Hope this helps.

The thread is about the John Deere 955 not the IH 955 which is much, much larger. Trust me you won't be the first one to be confused by the JD model numbering which makes little sense. The JD 955 is either a small CUT or a large yard tractor depending on what you use it for. The IH 955 is a full-size AG tractor.

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #20  
Anybody know what the average monthly payment is on a new < 30 hp tractor with 4x4 diesel loader ?

How far under 30 hp do you have in mind? I ask because there could be a substantial difference between a 20 hp micro-CUT and a 28 hp small CUT. Also if I read you correctly you want this tractor to be 4x4, have a diesel engine and a front-end loader?