Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Default Re: Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week

Quote Originally Posted by Karl2 View Post
    How far under 30 hp do you have in mind? I ask because there could be a substantial difference between a 20 hp micro-CUT and a 28 hp small CUT. Also if I read you correctly you want this tractor to be 4x4, have a diesel engine and a front-end loader?
    I am not interested in buying one I was just making a cost comparison between buying a used cut and a new one

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    I am not interested in buying one I was just making a cost comparison between buying a used cut and a new one
    My B3200 with 4wd, HST and loader was about $350 a month for 48mo at 0%. That said, I paid it off two years early and will never borrow money again. Bought my 5203 slightly used (300hrs) with cash, felt pretty good.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Tractor
    Currently Looking

I have very little interest in a new tractor payment. I'm about a year out from only a having a house loan and am looking forward to that. I've never bought anything new either. I am pretty fair working on cars, but don't have any experience with working on tractors. Never thought I would buy a new one, and still don't think I will.

As to this tractor, but concern is really that it has been neglected. In a car, I would have a fair idea what to expect, and what it might cost to fix. Between a bit of misrepresentation in the add and all the issues I found (and being dirty/faded isn't an issue for me, just something I would fix) I am concerned about it. He hasn't sold it yet, so I might make a new, lower offer than before.

Tractor
    Currently Looking

That is part of the question I am stuggling with at the moment. I don't have pricing on a new JD simiar to the 955 yet. I need to get it, if work ever lets me get away for a few minutes to a dealer.

I found a 28HP Branson for $13.4k new. I understand it is a little smaller, and I don't know anything about the Branson brand. Compared to 10K for a 17 year old Deere, it makes you think.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Quote Originally Posted by 3pedal View Post
    That is part of the question I am stuggling with at the moment. I don't have pricing on a new JD simiar to the 955 yet. I need to get it, if work ever lets me get away for a few minutes to a dealer.

I found a 28HP Branson for $13.4k new. I understand it is a little smaller, and I don't know anything about the Branson brand. Compared to 10K for a 17 year old Deere, it makes you think.
    It's very hard to beat the resale value of a John Deere when you have 20 + year old tractors selling for $10,000.00 what's a $13,400.00 Branson tractor going to be worth in 20 years ? I really don't know ,How long have they been made ?

Tractor
    Currently Looking

It's very hard to beat the resale value of a John Deere when you have 20 + year old tractors selling for $10,000.00 what's a $13,400.00 Branson tractor going to be worth in 20 years ? I really don't know ,How long have they been made ?
    Excellent question. I know the previous owner of my place had one, but otherwise know nothing about the Bransons. Is a new tractor from a tier 2 manufacturer worth more than a used one from a Tier 1? I honestly don't know.

I am hoping to get a price on a new Deere this week as well. I expect I will still buy a used one, but have decided I should know what the difference is.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Quote Originally Posted by 3pedal View Post
    Excellent question. I know the previous owner of my place had one, but otherwise know nothing about the Bransons. Is a new tractor from a tier 2 manufacturer worth more than a used one from a Tier 1? I honestly don't know.

I am hoping to get a price on a new Deere this week as well. I expect I will still buy a used one, but have decided I should know what the difference is.
    Do your research but I think 20+ years ago there was no such thing as a "compact tractor " they were just smaller versions and quality built the same as the larger ones ,How will the new ones look/work in 20+ years ?

Tractor
    2012 Kioti DK45 HST Cab

A 955 was my first tractor. It was good, but light for what I wanted it to do. $10K is way too much. It is a good tractor, but for that price, you could get a great tractor.

Tractor
    john deeere 855

I picked up my JD 855 last year and paid $11,000! A dealer told me it was a high price as I was buying from a private owner. I still picked it up for that price but it was always garaged, had under 250 hrs. , has a heated cab, mower, FEL, and snow plow. All I ever had to do so far was change the oil and filter put some air in the tires. Great little tractor has plenty of pep for a small tractor.
    I would say look around price does seem high.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Current: JD 955 70 loader,BH,MMM, JD755 52fel,mmm, (sold), 655 70fel.,mmm (sold), Ford 8N's w/ loaders x3 (all sold)

I personally think that is a good price. I have had 655/755/ and now a 955...that series in my opinion is the best they made, talk to a compact tech at the dealer, they will tell you such.

I grabbed one from my JD dealer that was hiding out back. I put money down and had one guy come "jaw" me for 755 but really wanted to grab the 955 as he knew who owned it and was #$%^ed he wasnt informed it was being traded in If he would have gotten this one it would have been his third 955......he likes the series too. Cant beat a X55 series.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast