Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #1  

3pedal

Tractor
2015 Branson 4720h
I'm looking for a decent general puropose tractor for my new place. I have never bought a tractor before. I have 10 acres with a 1/4 mile long driveway. Need to mow the fields as I won't have horses, deal with the driveway, handle snow removal and lots of landscaping.

Found a 955 for $10,000 on Craigslit and went to look at it last night. It has 720 hours.

The good:
FEL
5' JD Brush Hog
6' Rear blade
Rear wheel weights

The not so good:
one turf, one R4 front tire. So, ait needs new fronts soon, and will need new rears at some point
Paint is faded - a good cleaning and polish could fix that
Ripped seat
Instrument diplay is cracked cover

So, I am intersted in opinions from everyone on both this tractor specifically and the 955 in general. On paper, it sounds about right for what I need. From the looking I have done, this sounds like a reasonable price.

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #2  
The 955 is a pretty good tractor. 4wd, right? What year is it?

What are the rear tires? Condition?

Faded paint and ripped seats are just something to accept when buying a well used tractor. Personally, I'd like to pay a little less than $10k, but if you can't find much else in your area, that's not terrible. Plus the brush hog, rear blade and weights are thrown in.

Did you drive the tractor? everything seem normal? (eager to start right up., runs smoothly, all hydraulics and functions working fine) ??

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week
Fired up fine. Hydraulics seemed to work. It is 4wd. The rear tires are industrials. I expect there are a couple years in them still.

Guessing it is a 95. He has no idea what year it is, but looking at the serial number that seemed right.

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #4  
I have an 855 with 641 hours and it's 21 years old ! Has plenty of power and surprised me by how flat out tough these tractors are and the 955 has a few more hp , Mine has R1 ag tires and the fronts are foam filled which I like ,The seat ( I recovered mine ) and gauge panel are easy fixes thru e-bay don't buy a seat to wide ! it will hit loader controls and John Deere paint cleans up easy even if it's seriously faded use 3m super duty machine compound and wax , I added rv anti freeze to the rear tires and it worked fine for me also check the battery box it tends to accumulate dirt and debris , 003.jpgThe man I got the 855 from wanted $9,000.00 without attachments but I traded my corvette convertible even up ! ( I bought it on e-bay for $3,900.00 ) so I was real happy with the deal ! Got any pictures ?001.jpg009.jpg004.jpg009.jpg How many of the new tractors will hold that much value after 20 years ?

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #5  
We had a small dariy farm 100 acres in Ireland as a kid where an outside contractor would do our heavy work like sillage harvesting and slurry. In his fleet if IH tractors was a 955. It was a great running tractor, he had it for years and his crew would run it around the clock in the busy season. He still had it when I left the area 15 years later. Hope this helps.

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #6  
Shame on you GOM .

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #7  
Had my 955 since 96, excellent machine, just over 1300hrs on it. Mechanical repair work has been non-existant on mine, the battery tray (had a stainless one made), one hydraulic coupler and the tach/hourmeter.

If I ever find a mint condition used one, I'll buy it!

Ed

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week #8  
I have no experience with them but those 755-855-955 hold their value real well...must be something to it. 10 grand still sound steep to me though

/ Thoughts on a 955? Considering one this week
The man I got the 855 from wanted $9,000.00 without attachments but I traded my corvette convertible even up ! ( I bought it on e-bay for $3,900.00 ) so I was real happy with the deal ! Got any pictures ?View attachment 300592View attachment 300593View attachment 300594View attachment 300596 How many of the new tractors will hold that much value after 20 years ?

Not sure I could trade a Vette for a tractor. I need a tractor for the new place, but I moved here so I would have room to work on an play with some cars.

Are those Kettle Balls hanging from the front of your tractor?