JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota?

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #1  

ohbehave

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 (2012)
I've got a JD dealer just a few clear, easy miles down the street from me. The Kubota dealer is probably 10+ miles away....through town and busy streets.

It would be nice to have the dealer so close. Well, let me ask, is it a big bonus to have a very close dealer?

Anyway, I'm guessing that JD comes with a bit of a price premium. With Kubota, I'm seeking something like a B3200SU (no mid-mount PTO and a front loader, 32hp)..... and, so, I'll be seeking a rough equivalent with JD.

Assuming that there is a price premium, I'm wondering if the close proximity to the dealer makes the difference.

Incidentally, the dealer is still waiting on JD to see what incentives are going to be offered. The last incentives expired January 31.

Thanks for any comments or advice.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #2  
For the mileage you are talking it would not make a difference to me. I'd buy what I liked the best. If it was too close to call, I' buy from the dealer I liked the best.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #3  
Pretty much what Zebrafive said, I go twenty-five+ miles past the John Deere dealer to get to my Kubota dealer because of problems with the original management; good bunch now though after I bought my Kubotas. I could be just as happy on a John Deere as Kubota and like both brands.

Sometimes on some models there is a significant price difference, but across the board I am not sure John Deere is higher in cost than Kubota. You will get price differences between dealers of both brands that might mitigate any difference so look at both places and get the one you like, it should last you a lifetime.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #4  
Dealer first, mfg second imo. Most mfg's closely watch what the others are doing and will purposly design their machines to be either below spec or above spec to the next mfg's model makeing it difficult to get an exact comparison but you can usually get close. Study up, ask questions, try as many as you can, and don't rely too much on our posts on the interwebs (we all have our favorites). Talk to your neighbors, freinds, etc who may have experience with the dealers in question.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #5  
I wonder where Deere got the rep for being high priced. JD has to compete with everybody else on price of their product. When I purchased my first tractor, JD won on price. I had to shop a bit. The local jd dealer (metro) wasn't interested in my business. But I was also looking at other brand dealers in the same travel radius.

I think the JD dealers in the metro areas are selling to Harry homeowner. So they're making full use of their high price rep. The trug ag dealers are forced to compete.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #6  
Generally if you are making an apples to apples comparison between JD and Kubota they will be close. With that said, when it comes to compact tractors there are gaps and different models in each hp/size range in the Deere vs Kubota line. For example, Kubota has the B3200/3300, L3200 and L3240 all of which are roughly a 30hp tractor. Deere has the 2720, 3005, 3032e and (3120?), between weight difference, transmission options and trim levels there are a lot of differences. Another thing is the cash rebates, Kubota has some good ones, Deere does not.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #7  
Generally if you are making an apples to apples comparison between JD and Kubota they will be close. With that said, when it comes to compact tractors there are gaps and different models in each hp/size range in the Deere vs Kubota line. For example, Kubota has the B3200/3300, L3200 and L3240 all of which are roughly a 30hp tractor. Deere has the 2720, 3005, 3032e and (3120?), between weight difference, transmission options and trim levels there are a lot of differences. Another thing is the cash rebates, Kubota has some good ones, Deere does not.

We have seen before where folks have relied on just the pricing they get off of the web and find out after purchasing that if they had spoken with a dealer that there was more pricing options. Not all programs are published don't rely completly on publicly posted rebates. Get a quote from an actuall dealer.

Last edited:
   / JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #8  
I think it varies by area too. I've read a lot of posts on here about comparable pricing. But in my area, JD is around 10% higher in the Utility tractor market. I just buy what fits me best.

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #9  
Deere is getting competitive with econo models like the 3038E

/ JD always more expensive than an equal Kubota? #10  
It is very hard to make true apples to apples comparisons one machine or the other will best match what you need it to do and the other will have more or less abilities and durability. I do think though that all things considered a dollar spent on Green gets you as much tractor value as a dollar spent on orange. That includes work potential of the machine, amount of repairs and their cost, fuel consumption, and resale value etc. I do see more green on working farms and a lot more orange on suburban small holdings but that is due to Kubota specializing in CUTS and SCUTS designed to fit a small holders needs. If you don't have work for the machine to do it is a moot point. It looked shinny and new when you parked it in the barn and it will look shinny and new when your widow sells it. A lot of home owners only put fifty hours a year on their tractors while a working farm will put 1500 hours on a utility tractor a year