Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #11  
I wood NEVER want a bush hog that was not as wide as the tractor. The same width is fine or wider is fine but NEVER narrower. If you get the narrow one you will eventually run into a job you want to do that you can't do or do well with the narrow hog.:2cents:

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #12  
I vote with Ed. I always want the cutter wider than the tractor. Lets me mow up against fences, hang over the edge of ditches, etc, etc.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #13  
I vote with Ed. I always want the cutter wider than the tractor. Lets me mow up against fences, hang over the edge of ditches, etc, etc.

In general I agree, but the OP set out a specific set of uses none of which involved mowing along a fence line or ditch. I use a combination of a 4', 6' and 10' for our needs which include fences, ditches, woods etc.

I looked at the 7' models and when in the woods as you well know a few inches one way or the other is oftentimes a few inches too many. On more than one occasion, I had to unhook our 7' RFM and drag it out of the woods sideways as it simply would not fit.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #14  
I have used rotary cutters narrower and wider than the tractor. The real advantage of a wide unit is that you can cut next to a fence or other barrier. If the cutter is not as wide as the tractor, you simply can't cut close to anything. Double spindle units do cover tracks better, but I've not seen a cutter that completely pulls up and cuts all mashed down by the wheels.

For trails and other forest work, I'd go with a smaller cutter because you have more control, and you won't be cutting close to anything anyway.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #15  
I have to agee on the cutting next to a fence line. I have a six foot cutter and a rear tire tread of close to eight feet and I can't get that last foot next to a fence without backing into each post space individualy. It is not a problem on the rest of a field though as the tire on the inside helps mash down some of the next pass and this helps with bushes.
070712061527worktodo.jpg
090112163316.jpg

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #16  
i would say a 7 foot at min

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #17  
Get the 7 footer.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #18  
twin spindle 7' will be more usefull than "just" your road/trail mowing and the twin wheel models follow uneven ground better, also do not extend as far back as a single wheel which would help with those three point turns i would think. Woods and Brush Hog both have great cutters in this setup. Good luck post some pics of your choice and an after the buy reflection would be awesome.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #19  
In general I agree, but the OP set out a specific set of uses none of which involved mowing along a fence line or ditch. I use a combination of a 4', 6' and 10' for our needs which include fences, ditches, woods etc.

I looked at the 7' models and when in the woods as you well know a few inches one way or the other is oftentimes a few inches too many. On more than one occasion, I had to unhook our 7' RFM and drag it out of the woods sideways as it simply would not fit.

Yep, I agree Larry.

When I started shopping for a bigger cutter I think you pointed out to me that I should look for a multiple spindle cutter to shorten it's length. I hadn't thought about that until I saw a 7' single spindle. It is longer than a 10' dual spindle.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #20  
Yep, I agree Larry.

When I started shopping for a bigger cutter I think you pointed out to me that I should look for a multiple spindle cutter to shorten it's length. I hadn't thought about that until I saw a 7' single spindle. It is longer than a 10' dual spindle.

I really like the twin spindle models if you can get one that will cut heavy stuff. Like so many things tractor related, I find I really need two to have the right one. I need my 10' for big open areas, along fence lines, ditches etc. and a 6' to fit between trees where the 10' won't go. Now the 4' doesn't get used much, but my wife says she might use it this year on "her" tractors.:laughing: