Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #21  
[Now the 4' doesn't get used much, but my wife says she might use it this year on "her" tractors.:laughing:

Your 2305 would handle it with some front weights wouldn't it?? Or are ya gonna hafta buy "her" a tractor??? ;)

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #22  
Your 2305 would handle it with some front weights wouldn't it?? Or are ya gonna hafta buy "her" a tractor??? ;)

She uses the 2305 only as a last resort though she has had to a few times since our grandson has been laid up from the motorcycle injury, but yes it would work. "Her tractors" are the BX2200 and BX2660 and both have used the 4', we just haven't had a lot of use for it since we decided to buy another tractor, L5030 then L5740 to live full time where we live and not have to run tractors between farms and swap equipment around.

We did some reforestation a few years ago and we have some hardwoods where nothing but a really small tractor will fit and there are some areas between the new and old growth where I can't get a bigger tractor, so she "might" do some mowing in there. I was going to sell the BX2200 as I saw no need for two of them, but was "persuaded" how she "needed" them both.:laughing:

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #23  
Correct me if Im wrong but what would it matter if the mower covers the tire tracks when indeed the tires are before the mower unless mowing in reverse.I can understand wanting a mower that protrudes past at least one tire for mowing along fence lines and the likes.My bush hog is a couple inches shorter than my overall tire width and it mows fine.The vacume under the deck picks the grass back up to cut sufficently after all it is a rough cut mower not a finish mower

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #24  
She uses the 2305 only as a last resort though she has had to a few times since our grandson has been laid up from the motorcycle injury, but yes it would work. "Her tractors" are the BX2200 and BX2660 and both have used the 4', we just haven't had a lot of use for it since we decided to buy another tractor, L5030 then L5740 to live full time where we live and not have to run tractors between farms and swap equipment around.

We did some reforestation a few years ago and we have some hardwoods where nothing but a really small tractor will fit and there are some areas between the new and old growth where I can't get a bigger tractor, so she "might" do some mowing in there. I was going to sell the BX2200 as I saw no need for two of them, but was "persuaded" how she "needed" them both.:laughing:

You are a smart man Larry. You fully understand that if she "needs" them, you are better off to let her have them!!! ;)

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #25  
Correct me if Im wrong but what would it matter if the mower covers the tire tracks when indeed the tires are before the mower unless mowing in reverse.I can understand wanting a mower that protrudes past at least one tire for mowing along fence lines and the likes.My bush hog is a couple inches shorter than my overall tire width and it mows fine.The vacume under the deck picks the grass back up to cut sufficently after all it is a rough cut mower not a finish mower

You are correct. Each person's useage and needs are different. For me, I want overhang past my tires. For others here, obviously they don't. There is no wrong answer to this question.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #26  
You are a smart man Larry. You fully understand that if she "needs" them, you are better off to let her have them!!! ;)

You betcha, I haven't been married for 44 years on my dangerously handsome face and lithe graceful body alone...:laughing::laughing:

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #27  
You betcha, I haven't been married for 44 years on my dangerously handsome face and lithe graceful body alone...:laughing::laughing:

Heheheheheh....

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #28  
I've only got 25 engine hp to work with, so I'm going to get a 5' brush hog style mower.
This size is a good match for my pto hp, need to use, budget etc.

Coincidentally, the tires are 4' 10" outside to outside on my tractor.

If I had a lot of fence row to deal with, I would set up an independent pull behind offset to deal with the need.
Seems to me they invented and use the big bat wing mowers because they have the hp and room to run them successfully.

Good luck

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #29  
We run a 6' Bush Hog on our 5403 and did on our 5400 for years too. Our 5 series are setup for 4 row cropping and the 6' rotary mower fits about perfectly behind the machine. It is in my opinion properly sized to the machine, particularly for our mountain pastures and other technical mowing applications on the farm. With a good operator you can mow pretty tight to fences, crops, and buildings. For bigger fields a batwing is more appropriate.

Unless you have a lot of ground to cover, you may find that a 6' mower is more nimble setup and will mow your tire tracks fine, it does over hundreds of acres each season here on our place. With a full set of weights on front, and a six footer on the back in travel position, might be a better match than a seven footer weight wise. Our mower is a very heavy duty model, some seven footers prolly weigh less.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width
Thanks for advice. I have some roadbeds to cut and some food plots that are 1 acre in size spaced throughout 80 acres of combination Timber and regenerating 5 year old cutover with creek drains throughout . I also have some narrower fire breaks and will need some 3 point turns to change direction. I feel good about the 6 foot Bush Hog 296 I am planning to get. I believe it weighs about 1100 lbs. I think it will work out. Appreciate the advice.