Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #31  
We have a 604 model, same width, but 400 lbs heavier. We put a ton of hours on it and put it through it's paces, and the main issue is the tailwheel or tailwheel bearings go after a while - so we keep spares. One of the lighter ones may be a better choice but worth pricing the beefy one in my opinion. You might also be open to one of the 604's used, as the components are heavier duty and will last unless it has had thousands and thousands of hours of use.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #32  
Maybe something is wrong with my tractor (NH 45 D 6 ft track) but I have a real heavy old 5 ft bushog and when I get into thick long grass my tractor starts to bog down and I have to lift it up and shake out the grass mountain. I think a 6 ft would be too much sometimes. If you are just talking cutting grass that is a different story. I would use a smaller bushog than a rotary cutter for mowing. Am I doing something wrong?

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #33  
We sharpen our blades several times in the season, but very thick wet grass will bog down my 65 hp on the PTO, although rarely. Keep rpm's up and reduce ground speed. If the mower traps a ton of clippings under the deck when it is really thick there's no way it will keep spinning at speed. Try raising the height some too.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #34  
Maybe something is wrong with my tractor (NH 45 D 6 ft track) but I have a real heavy old 5 ft bushog and when I get into thick long grass my tractor starts to bog down and I have to lift it up and shake out the grass mountain. I think a 6 ft would be too much sometimes. If you are just talking cutting grass that is a different story. I would use a smaller bushog than a rotary cutter for mowing. Am I doing something wrong?

You may get better results if you adjust it so the front of the cutter is a couple of inches lower then the back. That way the blade is only cutting on the lead in and the extra space in the rear lets the clippings drop out.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #35  
You may get better results if you adjust it so the front of the cutter is a couple of inches lower then the back. That way the blade is only cutting on the lead in and the extra space in the rear lets the clippings drop out.

Very good advice. Takes a LOT less HP to only cut the grass once rather than having the rearward arc of the blade having to cut it again.

Our waterways are seeded with Fescue. It cuts tough. Takes a little extra HP if it gets grown up tall before being cut.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #36  
Professor Marvel

Take a good look at the rotation of your mower blades. You may have put on the wrong blades at some time. Some blades are made for clockwise rotation and some for counter-clock rotation. By chance, you may be cutting with the back of the blade. Adjust the mower so the blade is 2" lower in the front. Rotate same blade straight back and it needs to be 2" higher than when it was in front. I hope you understand what I am trying to say. Don

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #37  
Thanks Don
I am not sure exactly but when I look under it I hope I will see what you mean.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #38  
I have a bx24 and am considering a land pride 48". Most of my mowing will be like trail work. We have a half mile long driveway with 21% grade. I will be backing the mower into the edges. I wonder if a woods 42" mower would be a better choice?

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #39  
I have a bx24 and am considering a land pride 48". Most of my mowing will be like trail work. We have a half mile long driveway with 21% grade. I will be backing the mower into the edges. I wonder if a woods 42" mower would be a better choice?

Personally, I would go larger rather than smaller compared to the tire width (or at least the same width). However, that being said, steep hills, might have to reconsider. If you have a rental place, you might actually try renting one and seeing how you feel.

I had a BX 24, and with nothing on the read I always felt that the thing was going to flip straight up and over going up some steep grades, backwards, I always lost traction trying to get up the hills, but the a brush hog, you should have ample weight backing up the hill.I have a 60" on JD 2520, other than being a bit too heavy at times for the hills, I really like it as my tires are always in the cut path with out having to make two or more passes when backing into the bad stuff.

/ Advice on bush hog width vs rear tire width #40  
Wow! I found the thread that directly answers my concern. I'm buying a Bush Hog 290 series and wondering - go wider than rear tires or not.