5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M"

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M"
I would recommend the E for you. I would recommend the M to people who would put 500+ hours on their tractor per year and want a slightly more productive tractor in that size. I think the main difference between the m and the e is productivity. The E will do everything that the M can, but the M will do it a little bit faster.

Thanks Matt, that is what I was thinking also. If I was going to earn a living on it I think it would be a different story, but this is just a really expensive toy that will get stuff done for me up on my ranch. The only question now is going to be which horsepower. I have a quote of $47k on a 5083E with and air seat, right hand door kit, radio, and an H260 loader. I'm waiting on quotes for the 93E and the 101E.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #12  
Well I for 1 wish John Deere just made the M series. I personally own a 5093e cab,air seat ,553 FEL...Im not overely impressed with this tractor. Ive set my *****$$ in quite a few tractors over the years most recently JD. I realize the M series cost more $$$$$ but you get what you pay for. I will tell you it will do the work you talk about ok but it will defenitely be slower. The whole tractor as a rule is lighter , the Hydraulics are slow and IMO weak.Ive added extra wheel weights 2 per side with fluid all 4 tires. The machine is also to narrow for steep hillside work (sideways). In short I wish I would have bought the M.I would defenitely recommend the M its well worth the extra $$$$ all the way around. Im considering tradeing My E for the M series. Good luck to You which ever way YOU GO. This is just my 0.02cts.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #13  
You might want to consider a used M. I recently purchased a 2011 5105M with 1700 hours for $46,000, including a brand new H260 loader installed. It has cab, AM/FM/CD, air seat, triple rear remotes, looks good and runs great. You can find them with much lower hours, some with desirable options, for about the same money as you are looking to spend for a new economy model.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #14  
The M isn't much heavier, wider, and the hydraulics aren't much better. I agree that for the hp the tractor is a little dissapointing. My old 65hp tractor would lift twice the weight on the 3pt hitch that the E will and it weighed 9000lbs unballasted without a loader. Things sure have changed.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #15  
Thanks Matt, that is what I was thinking also. If I was going to earn a living on it I think it would be a different story, but this is just a really expensive toy that will get stuff done for me up on my ranch. The only question now is going to be which horsepower. I have a quote of $47k on a 5083E with and air seat, right hand door kit, radio, and an H260 loader. I'm waiting on quotes for the 93E and the 101E.

That is one of the most fundamental judgement's that should be made before investing in a new tractor. The scope of the work that you foresee using the tractor to accomplish. What, where, how much, how long.

AKfish

That is one of the most fundamental judgement's that should be made before investing in a new tractor. The scope of the work that you foresee using the tractor to accomplish. What, where, how much, how long.

AKfish

Just to give you an idea; my 3032 will be 3 years old in April and it has 250 hours on it. So even if I doubled the amount of time I work my new tractor it would still only be 160 hours or so a year.
While it looks like the "E" series will be the choice I'm leaning towards one of the higher horsepower models. If I go with the higher horsepower it isn't likely that I won't be able to do something, like bale hay or something else, in the future. It might take me a little while longer but with a 93 or 101 horsepower tractor I should be able to do it.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #17  
I have a cabbed 5105M that I bought used. I never did any comparison with other JD's and only compared it with other makes before making a decision so I would be curious to know what it has that the E doesn't?

The "M" has a frame where the "E Limited" doesn't. The controls are better placed on the "M", the three point on the "E" is the old rock shaft style while the "M" is operated by two external hydraulic cylinders and has more lift capacity, the "M" has an optional remote fender switch which I find myself using ALL the time when hooking 3pt implements (not available on the "E"), I think there is almost 800lbs difference in the "E" and "M", The components of the interior of the cab of the "M" are much nicer than the "E".
That's a short list. I didn't notice all the differences until I had both tractors side by side. There are more differences than most think.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #18  
One other option the "M" has that the "E" doesn't is the "PowerReverser Plus" 32/16 transmission. Great for mowing and baling hay.

/ 5083e, 5093e, 101, or an "M" #19  
The "M" has a frame where the "E Limited" doesn't. The controls are better placed on the "M", the three point on the "E" is the old rock shaft style while the "M" is operated by two external hydraulic cylinders and has more lift capacity, the "M" has an optional remote fender switch which I find myself using ALL the time when hooking 3pt implements (not available on the "E"), I think there is almost 800lbs difference in the "E" and "M", The components of the interior of the cab of the "M" are much nicer than the "E".
That's a short list. I didn't notice all the differences until I had both tractors side by side. There are more differences than most think.

OK get me excited. mines a few weeks out from Augusta.

I went with the M because I wanted features found on my 6000 series Mannheims in my smaller utility tractor. But I'm particular about all the features, and know some little things that make a big difference over many hours of operation. If you have operated an E, and said to yourself, "that's all I need my tractor to do", then go for it, you're not putting a ton of hours on your machine. We put those kind of hours on in a month sometimes so a no brainer for us to upgrade, particularly with the cheap finance. In the end, I'll have a tractor I'm happier with, and one that will have higher resale in 6-8 years.

I'm very curious to see the build quality out of Georgia. The Mannheims are put together pretty well. Hopefully we can work out the kinks on-farm.

If you are paying cash, a used M might be a good purchase. In the end I still think you need to operate them a little and see what matters to you.

cheoah;3188115[B said:
<SNIP>....... you're not putting a ton of hours on your machine. We put those kind of hours on in a month sometimes.....<SNIP>

Yeah exactly, you understand. I won't be making a living, or doing serious work every day, with my new machine. You guys that are seriously using your machines are in a different league than I am. Now of course having said that I still want to get the right machine for my needs.

If you are paying cash, a used M might be a good purchase. In the end I still think you need to operate them a little and see what matters to you.

JD is currently offering 0% on 48 months. I'd be a fool to write a check for my new tractor. I'll be happy to use JD's money for the next 4 years at no charge.

Last edited: